Dond

Discuss Bell Fruit Machines Here..
mr lugsy

Dond

Post by mr lugsy »

If jpm made donds would they be any good do you reckon?
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Heh, interesting thought. If they were of a similar profile to their earlier machines, then no doubt they'd be great.

If they were like their later / final releases, probably just as tight as BFMs.

So long as they had a Fireman's Lift / Roman Reels-ish feature, I think they'd be all right.

There's just zilcho skill in DONDs. Unless you class that bloody 'follow me' for £1.50 feature 5k1llz0ids... ;)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

Nice avi :lol:
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Thought I was due a change. Heh-heh. :lol:
Mr Move It

Post by Mr Move It »

Haha, loving the new ava Matt :-)

Hmmm interesting thought about JPM. A lot of their games had red/green/blue/white lights behind certain tiles - Manic Miner, Hurricane, Super Breakout, Euphoria to name a few. The game show has red/blue boxes, but I could see JPM extending that to the such r/g/b/w colours, which would have augmented the values in some way. Bending the rules a bit, like with Crazy Chair augmenting values by way of digits.

A gaming format suggestion for JPM's first DOND would have been along the lines of Camelot. The 4 corner squares would have been colours red/green/blue/white which would have manipulated the phones game. The phones game would be inside the square-shaped board.

Then 4 years later, they would release a DOND-Tomb Raider hybrid and shoot themselves in the foot :P Instead of hearing Lara Croft going "uuuuurrgggh!" when you die, Noel Edmunds would say it instead!
"I think you're going to go away with a lot of money."
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Cheers!

Heh, true! (Although I think Manic Miner and Hurricane were by Impulse - another manufacturer I had a soft spot for!)
Mr Move It

Post by Mr Move It »

Ahh my bad about Impulse. Manic Miner/Hurricane are emulated on Jpemu so I must had gotten them mixed up. The technology for both manus was Impact wasn't it?
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

what version of hurricane is on emu? £15 or £25
Mr Move It

Post by Mr Move It »

It'll definitely be £15. I didn't know of any £25ers in the wild.
thecannonball89

Post by thecannonball89 »

25 huricane on GY seafront
AMK

Post by AMK »

thecannonball89 wrote:25 huricane on GY seafront

as well as a 70% p3 Adders and Ladders £25 :D
... Join The Party!
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

AFAIK Hurricane isn't on any emulator.
Though I'd be happily reinformed if I'm wrong! Seeing as I'm mod there and I do want to be doing my job lol

But it does run on epoch I think so we have no impuse machines.
Cf

Post by Cf »

I think bell fruit have approached the licence in generally the right way...

The problem with a DOND based machine is always going to be the phones game. How do you implement it?

Random - This is what bell fruit have done. Gives a more realistic feel, and every time you get the game there's a real chance you can get the JP or a nice deal at the end. Cons? Can absolutely kill the machine if it keeps spinning in big wins.

Rigged - Like barcrest. I don't enjoy playing TIOLI because the phones game on it feels so utterly pointless. Every round is predictable. MS or £70 goes in first round. Then the other goes in the next round. Every offer is ~£9 until you get to the end and find you have £5 in the box. Ok, there's the very occasional difference to this but it's how it goes in my experience.

One thing I do like on DONDs that I think hurt some of them is the COB button. Again, it's an element of unpredictability. If a rubbish board is about to kill you then you have a second chance with the COB. I do think it's a bit too powerful on some machines though. eg Gold/BRT gives WS/CC/CP from COB far too often - i've rather win these things via the actual board more often than not. LP/Mega have the right idea. LP usually gives low wins or DOND, with the very very ocasional high win. Mega can only give DOND.

One last thing I think can hurt it is some efforts to make the DOND game better. eg, double dond, or best box, etc. These make the times you get the game more profitable but the end result is you don't get the game as much. For a machine which is based on this game I think you should get it more often with generally smaller wins.

But in general I think they have it right. A random punter can have a quick go on a DOND and have a realistic chance of winning a decent prize. And that's what it's all about really.
quizard

Post by quizard »

Cf wrote: But in general I think they have it right. A random punter can have a quick go on a DOND and have a realistic chance of winning a decent prize. And that's what it's all about really.
I think that is probably why everyone on here seems to whine about them. They don't want the random punter to have a decent chance. They just want all the money for themselves LOL.
BFK

Post by BFK »

A random punter can also put £20 in for a roll in board which blocks at £2 and then COB=Bust.

NUMEROUS TIMES!!!!