Coventry Godiva Festival

Had a good experience on a fruit machine? Discuss it here..
Mr Move It

Coventry Godiva Festival

Post by Mr Move It »

I popped down yesterday to check out their fair, which had a couple of arcades. One machine did let me down and I spent some £20-odd but it was a good experience overall, and the fairground rides were great too.

One of the arcades was almost entirely Red Gaming machines (!), as far back as Nitro to more recent stuff like the Indy Jones with the different feature entries. Some were £5, some £25 and a few were at £35. I could have sworn that there were 4 DNAs across the 2 arcades!

Anyway, noticeable machines were:

Vivid's Bottle Bank - gave invincible on the first quid, went for a flat top.

DOND Walk of Wealth - this had a bank of £3 that nobody could seem to collect.

DOND Big Reds - I punted on this, which was next to the WoW just to see if anyone went back to it. During this time, the £3 bank on WoW disappeared. As clearly no one was playing it, I chanced a quid on WoW, got banker's seal which gave phones, ended up with a £2 box which repeated once. My £4 bank collected ok!

Barcrest Golden Dragon - I was never fond of GD, despite stiff controversy on Fruit Chat. Once again though, my opinion stuck. £5 JP, and it took £14 to board, which died on the 2nd number. I much prefer Battle Axe and Dosh & Pecks.

Most Red Gaming machines were on £25 JP. Tried a few of these: Nitro with blue and green starts like DNA which goes way back to the start of my AWP days in late 2001. Life's A Beach gave me a red 'find the pea' which froze on me, the damn thing! Also had a dapple on Invincible, Sub Zero, On A Roll and DNA.

There were also a couple of brand mix-ups. Adders & Ladders, pretty sure it was a Barcrest machine originally, although the one I saw was by Empire and it was housed in a lo-tech cabinet. It still had the hi-tech snakes and ladders board and instead of paying out in cash, it paid in tickets...? The other mix-up was the Codfather, bit like Fort Boyard except you can also be demoted a board. Anyway, at the top, it said Vivid but the button you press to slow things down was the purple Mr B / Barcrest :D

Oh, and of course, both arcades had Doctors & Nurses, which seems to be the obligatory machine in every fairground arcade lol.
"I think you're going to go away with a lot of money."
mouse75

Re: Coventry Godiva Festival

Post by mouse75 »

Mr Move It wrote:I popped down yesterday to check out their fair, which had a couple of arcades. One machine did let me down and I spent some £20-odd but it was a good experience overall, and the fairground rides were great too.

One of the arcades was almost entirely Red Gaming machines (!), as far back as Nitro to more recent stuff like the Indy Jones with the different feature entries. Some were £5, some £25 and a few were at £35. I could have sworn that there were 4 DNAs across the 2 arcades!

Anyway, noticeable machines were:

Vivid's Bottle Bank - gave invincible on the first quid, went for a flat top.

DOND Walk of Wealth - this had a bank of £3 that nobody could seem to collect.

DOND Big Reds - I punted on this, which was next to the WoW just to see if anyone went back to it. During this time, the £3 bank on WoW disappeared. As clearly no one was playing it, I chanced a quid on WoW, got banker's seal which gave phones, ended up with a £2 box which repeated once. My £4 bank collected ok!

Barcrest Golden Dragon - I was never fond of GD, despite stiff controversy on Fruit Chat. Once again though, my opinion stuck. £5 JP, and it took £14 to board, which died on the 2nd number. I much prefer Battle Axe and Dosh & Pecks.

Most Red Gaming machines were on £25 JP. Tried a few of these: Nitro with blue and green starts like DNA which goes way back to the start of my AWP days in late 2001. Life's A Beach gave me a red 'find the pea' which froze on me, the damn thing! Also had a dapple on Invincible, Sub Zero, On A Roll and DNA.

There were also a couple of brand mix-ups. Adders & Ladders, pretty sure it was a Barcrest machine originally, although the one I saw was by Empire and it was housed in a lo-tech cabinet. It still had the hi-tech snakes and ladders board and instead of paying out in cash, it paid in tickets...? The other mix-up was the Codfather, bit like Fort Boyard except you can also be demoted a board. Anyway, at the top, it said Vivid but the button you press to slow things down was the purple Mr B / Barcrest :D

Oh, and of course, both arcades had Doctors & Nurses, which seems to be the obligatory machine in every fairground arcade lol.
I've got a £5 codfather - which streaks for about £80 of value. It's in a £5 arcade all set on 70%! After its streaked properly - it's over £100 for a board!!
mouse75

Post by mouse75 »

JG wrote:Alas I was far too busy with doing necessary boring stuff (Non fruit) to check out Godiva. It didn't sound like I missed out too much, but next year I will have a look in for sure.
It's crazy that £5 Codfather can take so much for a board. It's on the emu somewhere. That's a challenge for someone to recreate.
I did pay £16 for a board on a £5 Space Raiders (it still wasn't full) the other day. I had no idea these could take so much to board! I was about to give up, I htought it was f**ked + I didn't think these could streak? Super MB being your best bet!
Even £5 barcrests that don't streak as such do crazy things like repeat £4 five or six times. Not to mention features like hi lo cash on Ready to Rock.
Quite often the best feature is not the top feature or mega streak
LordOoze

Post by LordOoze »

£5 units that round up to whole pound are the tightest after being ripped.

I played a Red that took £15 for a board - took the blue top and it went £15 lol Some of the features are massive on lower jp awards.