The dreaded YLOD!

Forum for discussing Video Games - Arcade, Ps3, Xbox 360 etc.
wildcat

The dreaded YLOD!

Post by wildcat »

Got this on my 60gb fat ps3 :(
Has anyone else had it on here and managed to get it fixed? I know theres repair kits on ebay etc and vids how to do it on yt, but has anyone managed to do it ok? I know getting a new ps3 is probably easier, but i don't fancy losing all my game data and other stuff.
insert 20p to play
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

if you ring playstation, they will help you swap across your data (online paid content) they might be able to talk you through how to swap other stuff from one console to the other.. not sure about everything though... mainly just paid stuff... worth a call tho.. 99% sure they are english callcentres and whenever ive rung them they get the problem sorted
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

there was a lad in leicester who advertised on gumtree ,,,,, he fixed mine for 20 quid ,,,,,,,,,, but told me that the 60's are a dying breed , and that he couldn't guarantee how long mine would last , and recommended i bought a new one straight away.

so i did ,,,,,,,,,,,,, then copied all my saved content on to a usb stick (photos , music , and game save points) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, transferred to the new one easy

then everything else is conjoind with your account details anyhow ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so when you sign in on the new console all you have to do is re-download your games from psn ,,,,,,,,,, it costs nothing .
Little discipline = BIG issue

Spyder

Post by Spyder »

Lee, you can only do that a few times.. its worth ringing them anyway as they delete the broken ps3 off of your account..
silent g

Post by silent g »

take the mother board out and get a heat gun or hair dryer on the chip thingys and put it back together and itll work, i'd trade it in and get a slim one once working again as ylod is rare on slims.
theres vids on ewe-choob
condoms... ribbed for her pleasure! turn it inside out and its ribbed for my pleasure :)
wildcat

Post by wildcat »

Cheers for the advice guys, i'll get me a new one once i get paid the end of the month, ill try the heatgun and new thermal paste renewal on me busted one.
insert 20p to play
johnnypoopoopants

Post by johnnypoopoopants »

Hi,

I worked out the fault with the GPU on these and have a fix that lasts!

I tried the heat gun and thermal paste malarky but would only ever get a week or two before it went again.
I looked into re-balling but unless you opted for a new GPU it would only get about 3 months before going again.

So I searched the net and drew a blank but I did have info already...

The gpu itself has a part to play due to needing a new replacement to get it to last, Hmmmm
I knew thermal paste isnt ever lasting and that Sony are CHEAP when it comes to this stuff so I took a closer look.

I removed the GPU chip top (its own heatsink) and found it was glued in four corners and had more thermal paste in the centre.
I removed the thermal paste and mounted the board on a makeshift jig made from an old pine shelf and threaded bars with nuts on to stop warping and did the heat gun trick but direct on the gpu only with foil everywhere else and did this for 30second. (pre heated board)
Plenty of no clean flux was used (pen type and not cheap ebay water)

I let to cool for 10 mins and then used Nano silver paste from maplins on the centre chip and all four corners but being careful not to get it in any other areas.
I then stuck the chips heatsink to the master heatsink with more nano silver and put the lot back together.

That unit was 18 months ago and hasnt missed a beat and every single one I have done since has lasted without failure.

I have pictures of how to do this if you want them?

The cure is simple.

They use lead free solder and cheap paste UNDER the chip heatsink.
The paste fails over time and the heat cracks the solder below, all other reflow methods leave that old paste and only replace the upper paste meaning the heat cannot be removed from the solder correctly and it will fail again and again until fubar'd.
By heating direct you also reflow the solder better and get a stronger ball thus able to withstand the board flex etc and the new paste at 5 thermals is great for removing the heat!
Add an uprated fan mod and it will last for 5+years!

Jobs a goodun!

This is my own method and not copied, I do not sell this method on ebay and have posted it here for you guys to use
Good luck and happy playing!

JPPP
AMK

Post by AMK »

Can I copy, paste and sell it on eBay?

That'd go nicely with my DOND empty disc and 1250 Fruit machine layouts and ROMs.

;)
... Join The Party!
johnnypoopoopants

AMK wrote:Can I copy, paste and sell it on eBay?

That'd go nicely with my DOND empty disc and 1250 Fruit machine layouts and ROMs.

;)
lol, go for it.
Might be worth 50-60p ;)

Just thought I would add I dont sell it on ebay as some people are trying to sell the old hair dryer and airing cupboard trick and I dont want to be associated with any of that malarkey.

I have seen people selling YLOD repairs for £20 and I know they dont last, Hopefully the above can help people save a good machine.

I love the 60gb version and was gutted when it went belly up.

It cost me £8 for the thermal paste and a few pence for the other parts.
That one pot of paste has repaired 6 machines for friends/family and still has some left.

The above also fixes systems where they come on and pop up with (system too hot please turn off).

Maybe if it helps someone who has good FM knowledge then they can help me when one of my machines go down etc
wildcat

Post by wildcat »

johnnypoopoopants wrote:Hi,

I worked out the fault with the GPU on these and have a fix that lasts!

I tried the heat gun and thermal paste malarky but would only ever get a week or two before it went again.
I looked into re-balling but unless you opted for a new GPU it would only get about 3 months before going again.

So I searched the net and drew a blank but I did have info already...

The gpu itself has a part to play due to needing a new replacement to get it to last, Hmmmm
I knew thermal paste isnt ever lasting and that Sony are CHEAP when it comes to this stuff so I took a closer look.

I removed the GPU chip top (its own heatsink) and found it was glued in four corners and had more thermal paste in the centre.
I removed the thermal paste and mounted the board on a makeshift jig made from an old pine shelf and threaded bars with nuts on to stop warping and did the heat gun trick but direct on the gpu only with foil everywhere else and did this for 30second. (pre heated board)
Plenty of no clean flux was used (pen type and not cheap ebay water)

I let to cool for 10 mins and then used Nano silver paste from maplins on the centre chip and all four corners but being careful not to get it in any other areas.
I then stuck the chips heatsink to the master heatsink with more nano silver and put the lot back together.

That unit was 18 months ago and hasnt missed a beat and every single one I have done since has lasted without failure.

I have pictures of how to do this if you want them?

The cure is simple.

They use lead free solder and cheap paste UNDER the chip heatsink.
The paste fails over time and the heat cracks the solder below, all other reflow methods leave that old paste and only replace the upper paste meaning the heat cannot be removed from the solder correctly and it will fail again and again until fubar'd.
By heating direct you also reflow the solder better and get a stronger ball thus able to withstand the board flex etc and the new paste at 5 thermals is great for removing the heat!
Add an uprated fan mod and it will last for 5+years!

Jobs a goodun!

This is my own method and not copied, I do not sell this method on ebay and have posted it here for you guys to use
Good luck and happy playing!

JPPP
Thanks for the heads up johnny, i managed to get it working..... well for about 10 seconds before it died again! ill give your method a blast as ive got spare thermal paste, i also saw on the net a way to repair your system using large washers on the clamps, theres a 90% success rate apparently so ill try that too!!
insert 20p to play
wildcat

Post by wildcat »

Got it working using the the washer method, only downside, the fan kicks in after 5 mins and don't stop! Dunno how long it will last! :o
insert 20p to play
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

use the time you have to arrange a backup of the system that can be transfered to your new system.. lol
johnnypoopoopants

"Thanks for the heads up johnny, i managed to get it working..... well for about 10 seconds before it died again! ill give your method a blast as ive got spare thermal paste, i also saw on the net a way to repair your system using large washers on the clamps, theres a 90% success rate apparently so ill try that too!!"

washer system? thats for xbox not YLOD PS3.
PS3 has no clamps either.
They sometimes use shims on a ps3 that pushes the chip down and eventually warps the board.... Great an even better way to totally wreck your ps3! lol

I have a 60gb that I have refurbished with my own method I would be happy to part with if you cannot get another 60gb locally etc.

Cheers
wildcat

Post by wildcat »

It does work mate, you use the washers on the spring clamps, the ones with screws either side, yep it could warp the board but im having a new one for my birthday soon, so im just holding on till then.
insert 20p to play