ps vita

Forum for discussing Video Games - Arcade, Ps3, Xbox 360 etc.
trayhop123

ps vita

Post by trayhop123 »

so ,,,,,,,,, for those of you that are interested , feb 22nd hosts the european and american launch of sony's new handheld . (it was released in japan just before xmas) .

for those that dont know ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the ps vita is sony's second attempt in the handheld market ,,,,,,,,,, after their original psp ,,,,,,,,,,,

the original psp did well , selling 70 million worldwide , but a drop in the ocean compared with nintendo's dominance with the ds.

this time sony have learned from the psp ,,,,,,,,, so have ditched the costly umd drive , in favour of small sd type flash game cards ,,,,,,,,,,,,, or you can download directly from the psn store.

it has a new high def 5inch oled touch screen , a bunch of quad core processors , and most importantly twin analogue sticks ,,,,,, built in mic , front and back cameras and a rear touch panel too ,,,,,,,,,,,, finally a proper handheld with the grunt specs and control to play ps3 quality games ,,,,,,,,,,,, imagine call of duty or fifa online multiplayer with full voice communication whilst on the bus.

now all this tech comes at a price ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the wi-fi only version will be 229.99,,,,,,,,,, and the wi-fi +3g version 279.99,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, with vodafone being the official carrier for the 3g version ( data tarifs yet to be announced )

it doesn't end there though ,,,,,,,,,,, next you'll need sony's own official propriety memory card ,,,,,,,,,,,, ranging from 4gb for 15 quid ,,,, to 40 quid for the 16gb card.

then you'll want a decent protective carry case for your new expensive toy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and obviously a cpl of the launch games ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so expect to be spending around 450 quid .

of course with every new console launch , shops will be putting slightly discounted bundles together ,,,,,,,, so shop around .

and you can also bet that within 6 months , as much as a 100 pounds will be shaved of the cost of one ,,,,,,,, lol ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, remember the nintendo 64 ? ,,,,,, 249.99 at launch ,,,,,,,, it wasn't selling well ,,,,,, and only 8weeks later it went down to 149.99 lol .

if however you fall into the group that cant wait for the inevitable price drop ,,,,,,,,,, an early adopter ,,,,,, with more money than sense ,,,,,, who simply must have it day 1 ,,,,,, like me lol ,,,,,,,,,,, then its gonna cost you.

things have changed drastically in the handheld market since the original psp launch though ,,,,,,,,,, and nintendo is no longer sony's main threat to success ,,,,,,, noooooo ,,,,,, now its mobile gaming and ipad users ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ''why would you spend 300 quid on a new console and 40 quid per game ,,,,,,,,, when you can spend 69p on a game from apple ??''

well , mobile phone processing is getting better all the time ,,,,,,,,,,, some of the games on iphone or galaxy s2 look fantastic ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but they are let down by not having any precise physical controls for 1 thing ,,,,,touchscreen only control is crap,,,,,, and the depth and scope in mobile gaming isnt quite there yet either.

oh well ya pays ya money , ya makes ya choice . ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but i know i'll be in the queue feb 22nd .

right now , the big system seller launch games are ,,,,,,,,, uncharted golden abyss ,,,,,,, which has gained 10 out of 10 review scores across the board ,,,,,,,,,,, and hot shots golf ,,,,,,, and little deviants ,,,,,,,,,,, there's also an interesting concept game called reality fighters which uses the rear camera to capture the background of whatever its pointed at ,,,,,, then overlays the graphics of the fighters ,,,,,,,,,,,,, so it will look like their fighting on your kitchen table for example . hmmmm ???

obviously the big franchise's will follow within a few months ,,,,,,,,,,,,, cod , fifa , littlebigplanet , f1 ,,,,, resistance etc etc

check out the net for pics or youtube etc if you want more details ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and erm ,,,,,,,,, see you in the queue outside game at around 5 to midnight on the 21st lol
Little discipline = BIG issue

ma71lda

Post by ma71lda »

You wanna copy and paste your post then email it to Sony, you may get a free Vita lol.

I'm remember having a first gen PSP years ago and for the time it was out I thought is was phenomenal. I only ever really played Everybodys Golf and Lumines, but boy were they addictive. The PSP hadn't even touched the surface of what it could do when I had one.

The Vita looks amazing in every single way, but I doubt I'll get one. Its an expense I could do without especially with child number 3 due on the 5th of May. I have my 360 at home and my mobile is a Galaxy S II which I don't even play games on. These Super Amoled screens are very pretty though.

You will have to give us the lowdown on how great it actually is once you've had it a few days or so. I wonder what the battery life is and whether or not they have adopted the PS3 trophy system.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

awesome post lee. i'm with the wait a while till the price comes down brigade though.
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

thanks for the reply guys ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in answer to matilda's questions .

sony reckon you'll get 4 hours of juice playing games , ,,,,,,,,,,,,, however this is under optimum conditions ,,,,,, ie wearing headphones with wi-fi and 3g switched off ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, which is fine for me if im playing single player campaigns on a train to london n back for example ,,,,,,,,,,,,, i hardly ride trains , but this may tempt me to get away from the london traffic for a change.

the trophy's and account details can be sync'd with your ps3 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not only that ,,,,,,,,,,,, some of the future games will be cross system play ,,,,,,,,,,, this is massive potentially ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, because not only should you be able to pause your game on ps3 and then carry on from exactly where you left it on the vita ,,,,,,,,,,, but you will also be playing online with it against all the ps3 users too.

trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

ok 3 weeks to go ,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,, nearly every retailer is taking pre orders , with the same shitty pre order pack , consisting of earphones /a 5quid voucher off a game download from psn/ and some shitty online free avatas

ive been scanning the net ,,,,,,,,, because i want a good bundle deal with 3-4 games/memory card/protective case etc

but haven't found anything of any note yet.

however ,,,,,,,,,,,, toys r us are undercutting everyone if you pre order from them the console on its own ,,,,,,,, 214.99 wi-fi ,,,,, or 259.99 wi-fi/3g ,,,,,,,,, its a 15 quid saving ,,,,,,,,,,,, and they are undercutting everyone on uncharted ,,,,,, 24.99.

not bad , may take the plunge

someone let me know if they have seen better

alcozar

Post by alcozar »

I want one of these as soon as god of war 3 is released (and any other non psp GoW titles), keeping cash available for when that happens.
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

just a quick update .

amazon ,,,,,,,,, are doing the wi-fi model with 8 gig mem card and a selective game for 234

game or gamestation have , the wi-fi model with 8 gig mem card and uncharted or fifa for 269 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or with wipeout or golf 259

im only getting the wi-fi version myself ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3g is an expensive extra for a slow net connection which isn't really suitable for online gaming ,

plus there are wi-fi hotspots everywhere now (including trains) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so unless your planning on going online in a field i cant see the point of 3g ,,,, and some people can turn there phones into wi-fi hotspots .

plus the 3g version requires a monthly data sim contract.

betchrider

Post by betchrider »

Morrisons doing offers
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

cheers betch ,,,,,,,, yeah i think ive pretty much looked at every retailer ,,,,,,,,,,, the real bargin bundles will be announced a day before launch i expect ,,,,,,,, as all the chains will be having a cut throat discount price war to entice their market share of customers .

ma71lda

Post by ma71lda »

Unchartered and FIFA - £44.99 each.......I laughed very loudly out loud!!!

Have you been able to tear yourself away from it yet trayhop?
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

well i went asda matilda m8 ,,,,,,,,,, wi-fi vita 197 , uncharted 35 , everybody's golf 28 , rayman 28 , and 16 gig card 37 .,,,,,,,,,, plus another 20 on a psn voucher ,,,,,,,,,, just need a decent case now.

been slotting all day today with martin ,,,,,,, 122 each ,,,,,,,,,, now im home , its a chinky and a movie with the mrs (once im done on fc) ,,,,,,,,,,,, then taking the next cpl of days off for the vita ,,,,,,,,,, so will update with my thoughts soon.

trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

have spent some quality time with the vita now.

the touch-screen is as slick and responsive as any phone/tablet you have played with

its a portable ps3 really ,,,,,,

not played uncharted or rayman much yet ,,,,, everybody's golf taking all my time , love it ,,,,,,,,, graphics are lush ,,,,,,,, you can touch the screen to rustle the trees etc .

roll on the first person shooters ,,,,,,,, cod/resistance etc

ma71lda

Post by ma71lda »

Glad you're enjoying it mate. A friend of mine sold his after a week, he complained his eyes felt very strained everytime he played on it.

He traded in his 360 for it as well lol. N'mind eh!!!
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

well i completed uncharted (normal difficulty ) yesterday ,,,,,,,,,,,, and can honestly say its as good as its big brother counterparts ,,,,,, with just the right balance of stealth/puzzle/action etc .

starting rayman tomorrow ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and really really looking forward to unit 13 ,,,,,,, the vitas first shooter ,,,,,,, which has garnerd solid review scores

trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

anybody else bought one of these yet ????

unit 13 is top online co-op fun ,,,,,,, and frobishar says is a good laugh

still waiting on cod ,,,,, cmon sony , pull ya finger out ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and a dedicated you tube app has been announced end of june (wtf surprised its taken this long ffs)

ps , we dont post loss stories eh ??? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well i was out all day yesterday for a 21quid loss ,,,,,,,,,,, but i'll slip it in here where hopefully nobody will read it , to maintain my superior slotter status lol :) :) :)