X-Box 360 Elite (No Screen)

Forum for discussing Video Games - Arcade, Ps3, Xbox 360 etc.
Stevie S

X-Box 360 Elite (No Screen)

Post by Stevie S »

Anyone know why an X-Box 360 elite will not show the game on the TV but you can hear it playing in the background? I have read all kinds of crap about wrapping towels around it and all kinds! It is not the red ring of death though.
how about a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

An HDMI cable carried both video and audio signals. The signals are generated by separate components within the XBOX. So if one fails, the other will still work, which is why you can hear but not see.

This leads you to the conclusion that your XBOX has a faulty video component.

To rule out the cable, either swap to another HDMI cable, or use component.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

blackmogu wrote:An HDMI cable carried both video and audio signals. The signals are generated by separate components within the XBOX. So if one fails, the other will still work, which is why you can hear but not see.

This leads you to the conclusion that your XBOX has a faulty video component.

To rule out the cable, either swap to another HDMI cable, or use component.
Why can't there be more Blackmogus in the world! :wink:
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

either that ( most likely scenario ) or someone has gone into your display settings , and set it to a display that your tv doesn't support .

for example if your tv is only hd ready 720p ,,,,,,,,,,, but in settings yourself or someone else has set the xbox to output at full hd 1080p , ,,,,,,,,,,, therefore it wouldn't be the fault of the cable ,,,,,,, and you would indeed still have sound.
Little discipline = BIG issue

Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

I will have to pull it out Lee and have a fiddle with it. I ended up buying a Wii because the gf wanted Wii fit and she has used it probably once in the last year. The footy games and most others are really shit on the Wii so will have to either fix the old x-box or just buy a new one.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

Mate of mine had ring of death on his.

He took it to game station and they swapped it over the counter for another without even checking it.
Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

The elite was meant to be the answer to everyones problems in terms of red rings of death etc, but it seems microsoft still fucked this version up too! I would hate to buy a third x-box to have it pack in on me yet again. :x I am tempted to just get the ps3 since it is free online and I have not heard many complaints at all about the console.
psxcity

Post by psxcity »

unlikely to be display settings but do the following to reset to default

1. Remove any discs from the disc tray.
2. Turn the console off.
3. Turn the console on.

Note If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, turn the console on by using the Xbox Guide button on the controller. Make sure that you use the player 1 controller when you do this. The player 1 controller will have the upper-left quadrant light illuminated.
4. As the console starts, press and hold the Y button, and then pull the right trigger at the same time.
5. The Xbox Dashboard resets the display settings to the default settings, and then automatically restarts the console.

prob the gpu needs reflow/reball might get away with x-clamp fix
if you want me to do just give us a shout
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

i had 4 xbox360's within a two year period rrod ,,,,,,,,, the courier service from microsoft was good ,,,, they picked em up from my door and dropped off a new one within two weeks or so ,,,,,,,,,, but by then my buyer confidence had gone ,,,,,,,,, so when the courier brought the 5th to my door , i didn't even bother opening the box , just put it all on ebay ,,,, games , controls , the wireless internet adapter , and the (now defunct ) hd-dvd drive + films etc ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, got about 20% of what i paid for it lol,

shame ,,,,,, great games ,,,,,, shit hardware .

my original launch 60gig (the fully backward compatible one) ps3 is still churning away nicely.
Little discipline = BIG issue

kidgloves

Post by kidgloves »

Yeah, I have a RROD packed away and has been for about a year. How Microsoft can fuck up on such a big scale is beyond me. I do feel like I want to get it fixed, it's well out of warranty and I don't want to dive into the box and do the fix myself - what's the best/cheapest option for a fix - just buy a new base console ?
Confucius say "man who know wombat know more than stupid looking monkey"
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

Same situ for me. Looked into getting it repaired out of warranty and it would cost 70 quid!!! I can get an brand new xbox arcade for nearly £100 so whats the point??? I did try repairing one of my others RROD xboxs with the kit you can get off the net. It worked for about 1 month or so and then died completely again with RROD, but prehaps I just didnt do it correctly? I dunno.
psxcity

Post by psxcity »

if you any where near me (south wales) i can reball them gets 9 outta 10 going :)

or if u just wanna sell em give us a p.m