omaha

The Poker forum
mr lugsy

omaha

Post by mr lugsy »

i entered a game of omaha tonight be accident , really should be more careful ,i think the game must have scrolled up and i clicked without paying attention. i got up to do something and when i got back it had just started so i could'nt chicken out.

i've never played omaha before and luckilly for me it was a 10 dollar double or nothing game so i only had to make 5th.i finished in the money in second place but was not at all sure of how to play well.

quite enjoyed it though and may start playing more once i know a bit more about it.

could anyone give me a few tips on starting hands? i know high pairs are good and combos like ak suited with another ace and picture etc .but not a lot else.

another thing that perplexed me was the fact that i'm sure someone had a flush using 2 of the four cards but the pot was awarded for 2 pairs i think.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

I play it occasionally, although not when I'm hammered as I tend to get carried away when I see two cards the same :)

Dunno what happened with those 2 pairs Lugsy, but I'm sure they must have had a full house or something.

I remember reading that after AAKK(suited), the next best hand was AAK10. Can't think why. I might have been drunk when I read that.
harry2

Post by harry2 »

I love Hi Lo where the pot is split between high hand and low hand,only for a dollar or two.
Roulette free since December 2011.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

lol i've played that before by accident also :o ops: absolutely zero idea wtf was going on lol ,still made halfway stage though so i was'nt that p1zzed off :)

i also played some other annoying game where the goalposts kept getting moved every few hands ,again not on purpose,i was'nt happy.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

basic rules

NO POINTY, NO PLAY!!!
you must have an ace in your hand to play.

DRAW TO THE NUTS
just hitting a flush or a straight is no good. You need to be drawing to the nut flush or nut straight.

BEWARE PAIRED BOARDS
someone WILL have the full house.

people think Omaha is a wild, fast game where anyone could win at anytime.
The players who win at Omaha are steady, patient thoughtful players who sit and wait for big opportunities and switch from super tight to super aggressive and clean up those mugs who are just loose all the time.

If you hate getting outdrawn in Hold 'em STAY AWAY FROM OMAHA. You will get outdraw far more but when your big hand holds up you will win big.

BANKROLL MANAGEMENT
if you're playing cash you must be able to reload several times.
if you're playing re-buys you ,must be prepared to commit all your chips in early hands and rebuy often.
if you're playing freezeouts...well...don't. that's for high buyin and more skilled players.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

i was aware of the chances of people having fullhouses on paired boards and was cautious in these instances ,i'm pretty sure most of the opposition i was up against in this instance were not too hot on the basic strategy thing either , i played a much more cautious game than i do sometimes in nlhe just because i was'nt that sure what i was doing.

thanks for your wisdom pete , i think i'll stick to single table double or nothing for a bit and play tighter than a gnats chuff ,picking on the small stacks, and let the boys who know how to play well ,do all the work.
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

My tip= make sure you have the nuts and have flush/ straight re draws. Pref the nuts. Way more loose than holdem as pre flop your never more than about a 55% fav.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

i've played a few games now, all 10 dollar double or nothing, single table,pot limit . i'm beginning to think that these games are incredibly easy money ,albeit small time.
i've noticed that alot of people playing omaha (in these games) are playing very loose and losing quickly ,it seems very easy to cashout just by playing tight.
JG

Post by JG »

Good shouts, I've only played a handful of Omaha tourneys, but for $10, worth a giggle.