Why do I bother............

The Poker forum
Hangman21

Why do I bother............

Post by Hangman21 »

continuing to play poker it is systematically driving me round the f***ing bend.

$50 dollar freezeout last thirty players left, top twenty get payed. I have around 21,000 in chips so sitting ok on the leaderboard about seventh or eighth. I am thinking maybe one or two steals and play sensible and I should make the money no trouble at all.

I am the big blind which is 1000 I pick up pocket Kings. Everyone folds except the guy on the button he bets to 3500, small blind folds. This guy is the only player at the table with more chips than me. So I think immediatley that this is a steal maybe Ace rag at best. I flat call to make sure that there is no ace on flop.

The flop comes down J 5 7 rainbow flop. Now there is 7500 in the pot and I think I want to take it down, right now so I push all in. This player thinks about it then calls me.

Whats he got K 8 suited clubs. The turn comes 6 of clubs and the river comes 10 of clubs. So this guy is now chip leader with 45000+ in chips.

What gets me is how the hell can he call with nothing but King high. for almost all of his chips and what the hell kind of hand did he put me on? I asked after the hand how he could make that kind of call with what he had. I wasnt abusive or anything I just couldnt beleive what had happened. He never responded.

Anyway I have been thinking about it and I have decided you cant play against that type of player. Who could?

So I have decided that i quit playing poker

well at least for a few weeks.
bigv038

Post by bigv038 »

Why didn't you raise him pre-flop? :?
JG

Post by JG »

I doubt it'd make much difference to be honest. If he's calling all that post flop, he'll think nothing of a 3-4 blind raise.
We often use the term shill for these players, that is not a correct term. A shill is supposed to keep players at tables.
These guys are Internet fraudsters who are in the network. It may be he is friends with the criminal mob bosses who run the show or a friend of a friend of someone 'in house'. Either way this is not unique to Absolute Poker.
You can't avoid it mate. I sympathise. There are standard ways to play hands, but sometimes you can't help feeling damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Best to play when human traffic is at its peak, if you do play.

There is plenty of corruption in on line poker - like you say, you push with them kings pre flop and you'll see ace rag and an ace come rolling in. If you had pushed all in, he may have folded, but damned if you do etc....

Hard luck. Definitely worth staying away for the sake of sanity and quality of life. Pocket card distribution matches up with expected stats, much higher than expected levels of suckouts implies

1) Player very unlucky
2) Someone knows something they shouldn't
3) Software is rigging it with in house bots/skewed odds (unlikely as previously discussed)

Most common method is to screenscrape your cards via a worm in a Googlesque toolbar that sneaks around, up and over the firewall.
That guy was either a complete cluey which is possible, but far more likely an insider.

Tough luck pal.
That's on line poker.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

i 've been knocked out of tournies whilst in a promising position towards the end a few times ,with players calling all-ins with eff all needing runner runner,it has the veins in my head throbbing, you can see no logical reason for a player to who's played a good game for hours thinking " this 6,8 off has to be good with k a 4 on the board, i think i'll call the all in..........well what do know 5 and 7 down ,i knew it was good"

only last night i had aces ,i raised to 200 from 100(no need to be overly aggressive in a double or nothing top5 get paid game) i was reraised to 400 , i then went all-in and was called,player turns k 7 and i'm laughing at him.flop nothing for him,turn k....i think no chance lol.........river k rofl
quite unusual but does happen to me sometimes.

back to my first example,god only knows why you get called like that and it surely fires the rigged debate................maybe they've klutzzed the mouse or something and did'nt mean to , maybe they have E.S.P ,maybe they are cheating c##t insisider briefed nasty men,maybe they get off on playing this way knowing fullwell people will rant about it on poker forums.

maybe pete is sick of trying to rationalise the rigged argument,maybe he's one of ................them :wink: :lol:
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

JG wrote:I doubt it'd make much difference to be honest. If he's calling all that post flop, he'll think nothing of a 3-4 blind raise.
We often use the term shill for these players, that is not a correct term. A shill is supposed to keep players at tables.
These guys are Internet fraudsters who are in the network. It may be he is friends with the criminal mob bosses who run the show or a friend of a friend of someone 'in house'. Either way this is not unique to Absolute Poker.
You can't avoid it mate. I sympathise. There are standard ways to play hands, but sometimes you can't help feeling damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Best to play when human traffic is at its peak, if you do play.

There is plenty of corruption in on line poker - like you say, you push with them kings pre flop and you'll see ace rag and an ace come rolling in. If you had pushed all in, he may have folded, but damned if you do etc....

Hard luck. Definitely worth staying away for the sake of sanity and quality of life. Pocket card distribution matches up with expected stats, much higher than expected levels of suckouts implies

1) Player very unlucky
2) Someone knows something they shouldn't
3) Software is rigging it with in house bots/skewed odds (unlikely as previously discussed)

Most common method is to screenscrape your cards via a worm in a Googlesque toolbar that sneaks around, up and over the firewall.
That guy was either a complete cluey which is possible, but far more likely an insider.

Tough luck pal.
That's on line poker.
the only part of this post that deserves responding properly to is the first line.
the reason it matters whether the KK re-raises preflop is this. Pre flop the guy on the button is not making a bad play raising with K8 to steal the blinds. If the KK re-raises then the K8 IS making a bad play by not passing. You can't stop people getting lucky but you can make sure they're usually making bad plays as opposed to good ones.

I won't usually comment on specific hands unless there's a cut and paste hand history. I'm not saying Hangman is not lying but often when you hear these stories then read the actual histories there are subtle details not mentioned or even key facts got wrong. Buttons move play is terrible if it happened exactly like that. That said, Hangman asks "what hand does he put me on?" but the answer is, by calling preflop the strength of the BB hand is masked. He can't put you on a hand at all. Doesn't make calling with K8 right, but he can't possibly know what he's up against.

The rest of JGs post is gibberish, sorry. JG is now officially the Mikej of the poker threads.

There is small time individual collusion online, but there is also soft play arrangements in live play too. Systemic organised criminal gangs running cheating networks though. Have a word with your self!

I must be in the cheats good books because I'm winning.
ma71lda

Post by ma71lda »

Don't give up Hangman.

I'm going through ANOTHER phase of reaching the lower echelons of the cash payouts then being dealt a decent pocket pair, JJ or QQ normally. I raise correctly and the majority of the time all the chips go in preflop and I see either a lower pp or AK/AQ - they hit, I exit.

I'm constantly losing races these days, maybe the % is marginal but to exit tournamants with the best starting hand constantly (no matter how I play my cards) is a tad dis-heartening. Obviously, I've considered folding them but whats the point in that? Would I be waiting for AA or KK? If so, I'd soon be blinded out.......30-40 players left not everyone can have a better hand than me, can they?

Poker is the most frustratingly brilliant game ever and its a bit like sex........we all claim to know what to do, but very few are actually any good at it!! :wink:
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

the 'poker' in pokerpete is actually an adjective, not a noun :wink:
ma71lda

Post by ma71lda »

Claim the quote as a sig if you want mate. :wink: :lol:
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

perhaps I will
JG

Post by JG »

A mild roasting there. In the cold light of night I expected that. I would have been disappointed had that reply not been there. My opinion still stands that the 'Absolute Poker' debacle was the tip on an iceberg.
Look it's something like some clever students have got tired of tapping their feet in rythym with roulette wheels and have found out subtle ways to guarantee wins in on line poker. There's some scam going down, something is bloomin' well iffy.

Look, please, I do try and be rational, I do try, but when it feels like your opponents are hitting two outers post flop (approx 8%) left right and centre, or even 25% of the time, it gets frustrating. Real frustrating and to let off steam I proclaim rigged, rigged, rigged!

I know, I know selective memory, more hands/hour, looser opponents. Something is fishy and I'm hoping it's not me.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

players hitting miracles has nothing to do with the absolute poker thing.
That was someone making decisions based on a knowledge of your cards.
No one can tell what cards are coming because it's not determined until the instant it's dealt.

In the unlikely event another super player was created, it'd be spotted now.

I invite people to show hand histories of dodgy hands and we'll talk through them.

not anecdotes, actual hand histories.
JG, I'm glad you haven't got upset about your roasting. You seem like an otherwise decent fella. I just think you're on the wrong track with this.
JG

Post by JG »

Fair enough, I stand corrected re: AP. I thought they could see more than your hole cards.

I'll take you up on that offer and post up some proper hand histories when a fresh wound is created and I feel like proclaiming rigged due to a bizarre play or series of peculiar cards.

I know I'm more than likely being irrational but I *just* -*can't* for the life of me see it that way, at the moment. Both January and February have turned a miniscule profit for me, basically break even months.

Cheers JG,
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

where in the country are you?
Hangman21

Post by Hangman21 »

bigv038 wrote:Why didn't you raise him pre-flop? :?

I didnt come over the top because i put him on Ace rag I felt he was making a move (which he was). Many players online will, after making a move and getting pulled on it will only call anyway. I have seen this a few times and they usually get lucky and hit their Ace. That is why I only flat called his bet. When the scare card didnt come on flop I then went all in expecting a fold.
Hangman21

Post by Hangman21 »

ma71lda wrote:Don't give up Hangman.

:wink:

I wont be giving up but just leaving poker to get on without me for a while (I am sure it will manage). Action Jack used to tell me that it is always a good idea to give poker a rest for a few weeks every so often. So I am re charging the batteries and maybe read one of the poker gospels over the next few weeks. Not a bad idea to go back to the basics and learn new strategies every so often.