Post by harry2 »

Do you learn much ?
Roulette free since December 2011.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

how do you mean?
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Sorry to be a bit vague, but did you learn any tells, areas you need to improve or general info to store for your next attempt. Once played in a semi major tournament and was way out of my depth.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

Don't want to be learning much in a £500 tourney really.
bit expensive for that.
I constantly work on my game, but I went into this event with a strategy and day 1 worked out really well for me, but for the outdraw on the final hand of the day.

I was concerned that the standard of play would be significantly higher than my regular games, but I didn't feel that was the case.

I did see some spectacular play but there were some pretty poor plays too.

I got back into poker this year after a couple of years off with the specific intention of playing the bigger games. Next one is the monthly £300 deepstack 5th June. I can feel a big score coming. I'm making a lot of online finals and live poker feels easy at the minute. Just got to dodge the beats.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

In what way did you feel out of your depth Harry?

I have found there's no substitution for time at the tables.
You can read all the books, blogs and magazines you want, watch as mich TV poker and play online as much as you want.
The longer you sit at live poker tables and the closer attention you pay to what's going on, the better you'll get at live poker.

It's always confused me that people think it's a good idea to sit at the table listening to music or reading a poker mag. There's so much free information available, whether you're in the hand or not, it makes no sense to me that you wouldn't want to take advantage of that.

I also don't do sunglasses / hoodies. Makes me laugh when I see some idiot at a £50 freezeout with the shades, cans, cap and hood. "
All the gear but no idea"
When you actually take a minute to LOOK at your opponent you can get a read on most people. If you're wearing shades they can't tell they're being looked at. That sounds like a good idea, but the fact is it's when you look directly at them and they know it, that's when they give info off.

Best poker book I ever read was The Psychology of Poker by Schoonmaker (I think)
Doesn't deal with playing strtegy because that's highly individual and situational. It deals with player types and examines why people play how they do, how to spot it and how to use that info.
Highly recommend it for any aspiring live poker players.
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Only really play on line Pete. Only medium I have really made money on gambling !!!
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

what area of the country are you in?

and what was the big tourney you played?
Cf

Post by Cf »

I played Day 1a of this.

Busted in the 300/600-50 level, sigh.

The standard of play on day 1a seemed v poor to me.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

depends what you're comparing it to.
I play between 2 and 6 tourneys a month at DTD and it was a far stronger field on average than usual.

My day 1 table only saw around 15 players total and a couple of them were VERY good. Most were pretty average, but none were terrible.

I was expecting it to be a lot stronger that it was.