Mind games

The Poker forum
JG

Mind games

Post by JG »

I was playing poker at about 3am last night. The 5p/10p no limit tables. Everyone else had left, presumably to sleep.

However a 'maniac' had been on the table for a while also. He'd put in a few wild river bluffs when I'd had good hands to see him down. Total bluffs. He'd started to get a bit silly with it, to the point that I was quite prepared to risk a reasonable part of my stack with top pair if he bet say 2 or 3*pot or therabouts.

I'd got £30ish and he was also on about £30ish from other players who he'd got lucky against. He was all in pre flop A4c vs AKos and he made his flush. That sort of thing. In the end it was me vs him.

The money started to get spunked away. The maniac seemed to be playing me. I took a chance on a four to flush board where I didn't have flush card. I had two pair, but it seemed like a bluff. BOOOM! The big £6.45 river bet came crashing down (!) and after some deliberation, I figured, given his previous play, there was a fair chance he didn't have the flush. He did, but only the 3of suits.

Then his play seemed to get more sensible. I paid him off on a couple of over pairs. Suddenly I was the muntling and he was the bomb. Obviously his early philandering was just lucky advertising and now he was striking me off.

My stick vapourised to zero. I rebought in for £10. That dwindled to pooply bloop. His stack was just over the £60ish mark now. Six buy ins. He had played me for sure. I bought in for 'one more' £10.

I loaded up Sharkscope and keyed in his details. 100ish games and -£1000ish on stts. He even had a little fish bobbing about next to his name.
Oh! The shame.

:o ops: :o ops: :o ops: :wink: :c: :s: :d: :h: :o ops: :o ops: :o ops:

However, this seemed to be a turning point. Long story short, I cleared him out and got to the £60ish mark myself, paying some rake to WHill in the process. It was jolly good fun though and just shows the power of positive thinking. I was less intimidated by the adverse turn of effects, calmed down, focused and prised open his game. It seemed so obvious when it was in my grasp. In the end I made a flush on river and his trip aces paid me off. YES!!!!! GET IN!!!!!
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Thats the great thing about poker, no matter how poor you are as a player you can still luck out.

However as you have shown the better players will always come through in the end, stick to your natural game and try not to change it to much because you think the person playing you is a mug or worse a very good player (although in the second case it might be worth moving tables for easier cash), and the bankroll will go up over a long period of time.