New 10p and MPU5 - how's it gonna work?

Red gaming fruit machine chat..
SuperLineUP

New 10p and MPU5 - how's it gonna work?

Post by SuperLineUP »

Hi all,

I'm getting an mpu5 machine, just wondering what's gonna happen on Jan 1st 2012 when the new 10p is introducted will in still take the money?

The new 10p will be slightly thicker but I belive keeps the same round shape.

Anyone know what to do?
Thanks, :)
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

Red gaming
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
deano8177

Post by deano8177 »

Royal mint will send a signal direct to your machine and it will start taking the new 10ps. Well that's what they normaly do.

na I ain't got clue how to do it, but it won't be the first coin change, so must be doable
maverick69

Post by maverick69 »

just use pound coins, will be a lot easier
pound

Post by pound »

If it dont pay out 10ps then theres no problem.
If it does then save a load of old 10ps.
simples
reelman

Post by reelman »

I dunno what he means by the royal mint semding a signal to your machine ~ how they gonna do that then ? I presume your MPU5 based machine doesn't even hook up to the net !!!
No, the answer is, if you want your coin mech to accept any coins that are different to what it's currently taking, then the coin mech will need to be re-programmed, as will the 10s of 1,000s of coin mechs up and down the country, costing the industry millions when it's already in difficult times. Same thing applies to note acceptors when a new style note is brought out.
The denomination may be the same, but the size, shape and metal content, and therefore the electrical resistance, of new coins will set them apart from the old coins, as will the various counterfeiting measures built into our notes.
If yuodon't want the expense or hassle of re-programming, do as someone else said, and just use £1 coins, but sooner or later, they'll change them too and screw us all.
reelman

Post by reelman »

I dunno what he means by the royal mint semding a signal to your machine ~ how they gonna do that then ? I presume your MPU5 based machine doesn't even hook up to the net !!!
No, the answer is, if you want your coin mech to accept any coins that are different to what it's currently taking, then the coin mech will need to be re-programmed, as will the 10s of 1,000s of coin mechs up and down the country, costing the industry millions when it's already in difficult times. Same thing applies to note acceptors when a new style note is brought out.
The denomination may be the same, but the size, shape and metal content, and therefore the electrical resistance, of new coins will set them apart from the old coins, as will the various counterfeiting measures built into our notes.
If yuodon't want the expense or hassle of re-programming, do as someone else said, and just use £1 coins, but sooner or later, they'll change them too and screw us all.