cluedo

Got a broken machine? Need help? Ask here!
duomat

cluedo

Post by duomat »

Im having some real probs.Leds 1 to 7 lit,not doing anything,i know the power supply is ok so i got another mpu.sometimes it does nothing,other times it will make a horrible alarm noise and the reels flick and some lights flash.Variuos noises come from speaker but not music.some leds on mpu go out but not always the same ones.Any ideas or should i scrap it
JG

Post by JG »

Which Cluedo is it?

Three Cluedos.

1) M1a, Mr Watts to the checkout please music on the win series in the hall? Brain Ferry nudge music.

2) M1a - ze murderer IS IN ZIS VERY ROOMZ, nudge music may have been ripped from radio 1 newsbeat at the time, not sure. Old style cab (can't remember name) or Apollo green surround.

3) Scorp5 Eclipse Cluedo. No nudge music. Psycho collect music. Can't really hear the music they've turned it right down and I bet Ady is going in for it. Stacker.
duomat

cluedo

Post by duomat »

Its 1993 black cabinet,m1a mpu.has the red yellow and blue target on glass,glass is mainly purple colour,will it work again
Scott

Post by Scott »

Sounds like number 1 on the JG list, Mr. AA will help you out no doubt when he reads you problem.
Cobwebs 👆
machine doctor

Post by machine doctor »

check all the PSU voltages are present,Check the MPU for battery damage,any corrosion and especially if it still has a blue battery fitted remove it immediatley.
Any corrosion on the board can neutralised with vinegar then warm soapy water then make sure the board is dry.
If it is serious battery corrosion the damage may already be terminal.
duomat

cluedo

Post by duomat »

Not really sure what you are on about,i speak english.I think i will scrap it,as its not worth the hassel,thanx anyway guys
JG

Post by JG »

Woah...............wooooooooooooo....................weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

waaaaaaaaaaaah! WOOOOOOOOOP! BLOOOOOOOOOP!

"Passport please!"

"Zat's fine"

In other words, there will be someone on here for sure, surely to God for sureleness that will pick that up from your house non working and maybe even drop you a few quid.

What the machine doctor is saying is check all the P ower S upply U nit voltages. Basically the power supply bangs out a loada power to the reels, bulbs, tube solenoid chunka thingy, coin mech etc

You will need a voltmeter to check potential difference across widgets in the PSU. Maybe a handy LED will light up to illuminate potential wotsits on the thingymy. If it doesn't a voltthingy is essenshul.

Then check the M ain P rocessing U mbungo umbungo umbungo (unit) for batterry damage. Basically you know when you leave batteries in the remote control for thirty seven years, you take them out and they're all corroded (something to do with acid and oxidation), well moot frachines have batteries in them to keep minimal power to wotsit chips, y'know, random access hooblas, so they know how happy (in terms of program, not fluoxetine regimens) they are or how much they need to pay out so that Kesh can buy more ice cream.

If there's a blue battery remove it immediately. I'm guessing a blue battery is like ARRRRGGGGH!!! CURSES!!!! THE DREADED BLUE BATTERY OF DOOM! but I would advise gentleness when removing the said battery. Maybe it just pops out, or perhaps it is hardwired to the board. Sorry I'll make sense soon. Probably best waiting for Alex. Yeah be careful with the old battery situation. Basically the MPU looks like a 'bit of circuit board' with a 'battery'. Sometimes these batterys are so teeny weeny tiny they look like a DOLLY MIXTURE and not a big beefy 9v type D fat battery.

Interesting about the old corrosion. I think the old machine Doc is saying that if the corrosion is minimal then, give it a go with the old vinegar and soapy water. So you'll be unclipping the MPU from the machine, unhooking all the connections and gently applying vinegar and then soapy water and then dry with a non astringent surface.

Serious battery corrosion and it's a new board/other components.
machine doctor

Re: cluedo

Post by machine doctor »

duomat wrote:Im having some real probs.Leds 1 to 7 lit,not doing anything,i know the power supply is ok so i got another mpu.sometimes it does nothing,other times it will make a horrible alarm noise and the reels flick and some lights flash.Variuos noises come from speaker but not music.some leds on mpu go out but not always the same ones.Any ideas or should i scrap it
Noted the LEDs MPU,power supply words used in the post and as seemed to replace the old one, so thought maybe did know some basic knowledge of the machines, controlling parts,hence my MPU,PSU,vocabulary.
And yes 'Blue' is the dreaded word in batteries and the death of many a machine,and soldered to the board.
Will pick up my coat on the way out :lol:
duomat

cluedo

Post by duomat »

Hi guys,yes i do know about electronics.But im affraid im not up on typing codes.Anyway,I know the transformer works,my old mpu did nothing,this other one i fitted it goes wappy and does different things.Looks ok,no damage.No one has mentioned the game card with the game rom on,could it be that.I would love another machine to swap bits and eliminate that way.The machine is in super condition,but if it wont work,i would like to make space for one that will.
machine doctor

Post by machine doctor »

Very unlucky and unusual for the game card or the ROMs to fault,Only known game ROMs to fail(unless faulty when supplied) after someone handled them and static damaged the program.
Not many good working Maygay M1 boards knocking about now,could probably be your replacement board is at fault too.
Did it come from a working machine or tested?
When you changed the boards over did you set the DIP(16 small switches on the MPU) to the same settings,on or off, as the old board.
duomat

cluedo

Post by duomat »

Yes i did,but the mpu is not tested.Although previous owner has been messing,so not sure what hes done.if i knew it was mpu i would buy a good tested one
machine doctor

Post by machine doctor »

If you are sure the power supply is ok then i would try for a known working MPU. as the next step.
duomat

cluedo

Post by duomat »

Now im very confused.+12 volt led came on,all leds 1 to 7 went out,reels spun and set,numeric display on front (blue) working correctly.then all machine lights came on,but did not flash like attract mode.Then about 1 minute later +12 volt led went out,and now its back to normal,doing nothing.so this means to me that everything was working .There are no loose connections and i have checked continuity through the cables and fuses on power supply,but the mpu turns on the 12 volt,so difficult to check.im off to get some nurafen ??????
machine doctor

Post by machine doctor »

If you remove the power supply,There is a relay fitted to a small board situated on the underside of the power supply that triggers both 12volts and 50volts,could be that relay is at fault as they are a problem.
Under normal operation on the MPU just the three voltage indicator LEDs should be on, those status LEDs should be out.
aaamusements.co.uk

Post by aaamusements.co.uk »

Scrap it, you will never get a decent board.
If I ever have the misfortune to see another one of these I hope it is sitting in the middle of the road, so that I can drive straight through it.

Edit:
Or it could be the small capacitor by the battery thinking about it. If so it could be an easy fix. But I doubt it.