very confused got hold of a jpm impact fruit machine

Got a broken machine? Need help? Ask here!
whenfruitcalls

very confused got hold of a jpm impact fruit machine

Post by whenfruitcalls »

I've recently got hold of a Sonic the Hedgehog jpm impact fruit machine when you turn it on the lights and reels go but when you push the buttons nothing happens before anyone else yes I am putting coins into it lol but it's also not coming up with no error codes I have checked the buttons I I managed to get a whole nother set of the original buttons of another site but still doesn't do anything I was just wondering if this could be the motherboard or would anybody else know?
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

is the machine registering credits on the display?

have you put the machine on test and checked the buttons/switches?
whenfruitcalls

Post by whenfruitcalls »

YES it does now the LCD display wasn't working I pushed in the card and then it came up but ever since the back of the motherboard gets really hot the other day I thought I smelled smoke coming from it when I opened it up the back of it and motherboard was really hot .but also at the same time I looked at the power supply at the bottom slightly rusty on the edges I'm not sure that be some of the problem too. but now also lights don't work but the £1coin lights ar working. And the reels just now judder. I was told by the last person that had it he said he used a kettle wire to power it. Was Sonic the Hedgehog made or built in 1994 or 1995 I've seen a couple of mother boards control boards and wondering if I got one of the same you would it work is it or can be as easy as just changing it out? there's also a jpm power pack but I've seen would you think that I would need to replace that. also I don't think a kettle lead would really be the way to go. what other kind of Lead will I need. if anything I'm starting to guess it was that that's messed the Machine and the fact that he told me he had it stored in a garage a few years I'm guessing he didn't let it dry out properly I don't know I'm very confused
dog section

Post by dog section »

even if it did dry out properly,the damage is done already.machines like room temperature and not the moisture that an outside garage gives it.
kettle lead is fine,its just a general term for the lead that goes into the machine(simply its got the same 3pin on it as a kettle flex) fine with the right fuse in it.
doubt its your power supply as if it was knackered you prob wouldnt have any signs of life. i think its your boards that have been damaged by the way the last owner had it stored.
k9-sec.co.uk
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

JPM impact technology is infomous for being unreliable.

assuming you can get the parts ( i say parts as the machine has a motherboard, processor card, sound card and game card) there is no guarentee that your eeproms are still operational.

this technology is obsolete and has been for years.
Spare parts can command a high price as retrogamers like some of the games that use the same technology.

As you are a novice , its not an ideal machine for you to restore...
whenfruitcalls

Post by whenfruitcalls »

So really the best course of action would be to take it to the dump ok thank you for your help anyway it's really much appreciated it's a shame I've been up there a Sonic the Hedgehog since 1998 but again thank you for your advice and help
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

i wouldnt dump it..

stick it on ebay as spares or repairs (they will take it down when they see it right enough)

like i say retrogamers like some of the old impact games, someone might pay for the parts to see what they can salvage
whenfruitcalls

Post by whenfruitcalls »

I had a guy just a minute ago pop round he said that the sound card and game card is absolutely fine when he tested it and he also said that the battery has it leaked he said it was the control board he said he'll buy the whole thing off me for £50 and as they walked away I heard his friend say we can salvage that and sell it for at least 350 maybe more as there's not so many of them left now I'm not sure what to do they said for them it be an easy fix but they didn't offer me they just wanted me to sell it to them I take it the control board is the motherboard but they reckon the rest of the machine is in good working order including the the reels then I stood there looking at each other and said what I cut off you for £50 I did ask how much it will cost to fix but they wouldn't give me a price and said it be easier if I just gave it to them basically so not sure what to do maybe just sell it for spares and repairs or sell the sound card and game card and front glass bottle glass as that's all in good condition no scratches and on top of that I have brand new batteries for it well really good condition and I have all the keys maybe you're right I should sell it on eBay and so will I get for it thank you again
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

the battery is on the processor board, not the motherboard.
if the battery has leaked, chances are this board is gubbed...

so that would be the part your looking to replace.

if you can fiind one, try replacing it , straight like for like swop.

alot of people have modified this board by moving the battery off it and connecting it by soldered wires.

on second thoughts, have a good look round the board for signs of leakeage, give it a bit of a clean up if theres any residue, never know yer luck...
whenfruitcalls

Post by whenfruitcalls »

I will do thank you so much for your advice I really do appreciate it a lot.:-)