Complete Madness - Maygay Machine 2001

Got a broken machine? Need help? Ask here!
NuttyStag

Complete Madness - Maygay Machine 2001

Post by NuttyStag »

Hello - new member here in need of some assistance.

I have just purchased a Complete Madness fruit machine and after an hour's worth of playing, the machine died and has not worked since.

I have a local engineer who looked at the machine and he tested the power supply and the main board - he advised that they were working but the programme chips had gone and needed replacement.

Does anyone know where I could obtain a set from?
NuttyStag

Post by NuttyStag »

The number on the Eprom is MSA02148 G1 + G0.
reelman

Post by reelman »

It's very rare indeed for e.proms to simply pack up. The only real time they give any trouble is when people remove and re-fit them for some reason, and either break a "leg" when re-inserting them, or perhaps replacing them upside down.
When a new machine is released, the manufacturer is made aware of minor programming faults, so creates revised e.proms. Alternatively, changes in legislation, such as the allowing of note acceptors, necessitates new software on the e.proms. These are sent out to purchasers of new machines under warranty, or can be downloaded by operators who've subscribed to their service.
The manufacturer will not supply Joe Public, so you'll need to contact your local gaming operator, who may have the facility to download e-proms for a fee. That all assumes that these are still available from the manufacturer, as it is quite an old machine ~ having said that, unlike normal machine parts, they take up no space at all, as they are held virtually on their computers, so you may be in luck.
NuttyStag

Post by NuttyStag »

Thanks for the response.

The eproms had not been removed at the time - the problem started whilst playing the machine. I thought at the time it was a power issue as the machine went to reset itself and then all I got from the machine was a banging noise.

The power pack has all LED lights lit and the main board has all the LED lights lit with the exception of the 5th one - video display.

I called 15 numbers to get an engineer and eventually found one that would come out. He tried another power pack and another two main boards but none of this helped.

Do you know of any engineers in the East Midlands area (I'm near Mansfield) or anybody that could assist me with the problem?
reelman

Post by reelman »

Sorry, I'm am not from your area and do not know of any decent engineers up that way either.
I'm still inclined to suspect the PSU and not the e.proms. Bearing in mind your chap didn't fix your machine, I hope he didn't charge you too much.
If I were you, I'd be inclined to post again, giving full details of the symptoms and let a more competant person than I, and certainly the monkey that you had visit, try to identify the fault for you.
Best of luck
stewy

Post by stewy »

Considering the fault you decribed as in the machine just "packed up" I don't think I would even have considered it being an Eprom issue. Maybe I'm wrong..

To me it sounds like a PSU, fuse or wiring loom issue.

Wouldn't an Eprom problem just affect gameplay issues rather than an entire machine packing up?
Hey, check it out. Hey, check it out.
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

Epoch machines such as this were notorious for their Stadium PSUs. It's worth further inspection from engineers.
NuttyStag

Post by NuttyStag »

Many thanks for the comments - I have another engineer calling this afternoon, I'll update after his visit.
NuttyStag

Post by NuttyStag »

You guys were correct - the engineer changed the main board and all the problems were solved.
8)
NuttyStag

Post by NuttyStag »

You guys were correct - the engineer changed the main board and all the problems were solved.
8)
dazzer

Post by dazzer »

Did you get charged much?
reelman

Post by reelman »

D'ya mean by the cowboy, or by the guy that fixed it?
I'd be pi**ed off if I'd given that cowboy anything for a mis diagnosis, not knowing what he was talking about, and then thinking he can simply fob me off by saying it's e-proms, knowing that they're probably unobtainable now !!!
But at least it's sorted now. Perhaps you'll try us lot first next time.
NuttyStag

Post by NuttyStag »

The original engineer left without payment - he perhaps forgot to ask for his payment. :roll:

The second engineer came to me from Burton Upon Trent and certainly knew far more than the first one.