Newbie needs help with Barcrest rocky club machine

Got a broken machine? Need help? Ask here!
dan2k7

Newbie needs help with Barcrest rocky club machine

Post by dan2k7 »

Hi guys, just bought my first fruit machine. Heard bad stories about this particular model but I have loved it ever since I played it in University. I have bought one that for some strange reason has a lot of lights that aren't working, roughly about 50. The bloke I bought it off was very helpful and explained that the bulbs are all in tact and he believes it to be a wiring fault. He had already changed one of the boards believing that would be at fault but it hasn't helped. Anyone got any ideas what could be causing it?

I will try and upload a pic of which lights aren't working but you may be able to see the lights in this link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251717283859
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

not really an easy fix tbh.

what you will have to do is work out which bulbs have the problem, hopefully they will share a wire.

then you need to trace the wire or wires back to the mux board and look for a break in the wire.

thing that is concerning is the 50 bulb thing, theres not than many more lamps on the machine is there?
with a wiring fault i would expect maybe 8 lamps out, not 50..
dunno whats going on there...
duomat

Post by duomat »

You need some bits to try.I doubt a wire would send 50 lamps out.First check power supply and fuses,it could be the mpu at fault even though it works,you need an mpu and supply known working to eliminate from suspect list.Thats all you can do,narrow it down till you find the problem.This can be costly which is why it was sold in the first place
dog section

Post by dog section »

it was on ebay for months. i only noticed it cos i sold a working one for only 40quid more. i hope dan2k7 didnt pay the full asking price that was listed
k9-sec.co.uk
dan2k7

Post by dan2k7 »

Hi lads thanks for replies. There is probably closer to 100 bulbs. I would guess half on the machine work and half don't. No I didn't pay the asking price.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

there should be a couple of boards that look like this inside the machine:

each will have two fuses and two green leds.

do the leds flash , are the fuses ok?
dan2k7

Post by dan2k7 »

buzzer wrote:there should be a couple of boards that look like this inside the machine:

each will have two fuses and two green leds.

do the leds flash , are the fuses ok?
Thanks will check them out now.
dan2k7

Post by dan2k7 »

There are 3 boards that I can see, all of the green lights seem to be working. Some are solid green, some are flashing at a steady rate if that makes sense.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

yep, i dunno what to suggest...
barcrest machines usually alarm when theres a major lamp issue, this is the puzzling part..
i dont think its going to be an easy fix, you'll need to try and get a service engineer that does homers to look at it.
duomat

Post by duomat »

it would be cheaper to buy a working machine with the same tech and swop bits till you find the problem,then sell the machine and buy the duff part.or if the doner machine is cheap enough,just keep it for bits.If you get anyone to look at it willcost far more than its worth
dan2k7

Post by dan2k7 »

Cheers guys, might replace the MPU first. They seem to go for fairly cheap.