KIDS DEVASTATED! new ebay club monopoly dont work :-(

Got a broken machine? Need help? Ask here!
beany

KIDS DEVASTATED! new ebay club monopoly dont work :-(

Post by beany »

bought a club monopoly from ebay, and it didnt work when i got it home.

the main board has an "L" shape of LEDs on it.
the 6 upright ones are all alight (manual says they should all be out)
the 3 sideways ones are all on, except the middle one labelled "+12v" (manual says they should all be on).

I assumed it was the +12v from the power supply causing the problem, and took it apart to have a look. I resoldered the circuit board incase of a dry joint, then put it back. On switching on, the machine worked for a few minutes with all the 6 vertical LED's on the main board off and the 3 sideways LED's on. When it stopped again, the LED's all went back as before.

When I wiggle the connector lead that goes into the power supply, the left of the 3 sideways LED's goes off/on intermitently. Also, it can be switched on now and it sounds like a relay clicking as the LED's switch from the working pattern to the faulty one.

I rang Selectamuse.co.uk, and the repair technician there said it wasnt the power supply, but a common fault with the wires from there to the main board. He suggested cleaning the pins where it meets, but still no joy.

any ideas anyone, as the kids are gutted? :(
beany

Post by beany »

I've now removed the chips from their dills and cleaned all legs with emery paper (earthed myself throughout).
STILL NO LUCK :(

here's pics of the psu and board.

Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Afraid I can't help at all, but I hope you left some negative feedback for him!
PHOENIXLEISURE

:0)

Post by PHOENIXLEISURE »

The guy from selectamuse is one of the top techys in the Uk, I know and speak with him regular.... Have you tried all the fuses with a meter as they do some times appear ok until continuity test has been carried out. Still no joy write back.
"Technician Not Magician"
beany

Post by beany »

thanx for your reply.

Yes, Norman from selectamuse was really helpful and new his stuff so well, that he even new the ratings of the capacitors and bridge rectifier on the PS PCB!

I had checked all the fuses when I first got it.

the 1A one was blown (which I replaced), but all the others were fine.
beany

Post by beany »

thanx to Brian, it appears to be sorted (almost).

I changed the onboard battery (£2) as advised and after an hour of being temperamental, its been playing fine for the last 2 days.

The only problem now is not related to the original one.

During play, music and most buttons when pushed sound fine, but some (eg: nudge and dice hi/lo) are causing a crackling/distorted sound.

any ideas anyone?