Refill key lock wiring jpm impact 3 pinball wizard

Got a broken machine? Need help? Ask here!
funkystyleofman

Refill key lock wiring jpm impact 3 pinball wizard

Post by funkystyleofman »

Hi, I bought pinball wizard not to long back and have been having fun with it but now have realised that there is no lock to put a refill key in I have bought one of ebay but am not sure how to wire it could somebody help please.
reelman

Post by reelman »

Presumably, there was a hole in which to fit the refil lock?
Is so, there should be 2 unconnected wires close by, which when touched together, put the machine into refil mode, confirming that these are indeed the wires that you're looking for. These 2 wires then need to be connected to the back of the refil lock.
funkystyleofman

thanks i will have a look and see if i can find the wires.
stewy

Post by stewy »

Depending where the machine has come from it could be that the lock refil switch has been removed from the front of the machine for security purposes. The wires should be on the inside of the machine close to where the switch is usually located.
Hey, check it out. Hey, check it out.
funkystyleofman

ive had a look and there are about 3 sets of wires near that area but they have plastic covers over them that need to be clipped off to find out what is what.
reelman

Post by reelman »

There should be no reason to strip back any wires, unless of course, the person that removed the refil lock done so by cutting the wires.
It's entirely up to you, but you could strip these 3 wires that you've found. The refil lock only connects 2 wires together, so you could guess which 2 they are, and try touching them together to see if the machine enters refil mode or not. You'll probably need to trty a few combinations, before eventually finding the correct 2 wires. Once found though, you should be able to solder them onto your refil lock quite easily.
However, there's a risk that they're not for the refil lock at all. They could perhaps be spare wires for a note meter or something, although unlikely.
Steve74

Post by Steve74 »

I did a lot of work rewiring some low voltage DC based kit a few years back, basically same as a fruit machine sort of electrics. We didn't have clear wiring diagrams (all black wire installations for security reasons). To test circuits where there were meant to be switched, we used a linking wire with a 1/4 amp quick blow fuse in an inline holder.

If you got the wrong wire, you blew the fuse, rather than blowing up £10,000 worth of electronics, so it might be worth doing the same if you're having to hunt for a wire in the loom, rather than risking blowing something more expensive than a 20p fuse