NV4 & Maygay problem

Got a broken machine? Need help? Ask here!
Tinkerdog

NV4 & Maygay problem

Post by Tinkerdog »

I have a Maygay 'Coronation Street Monopoly' club fruit machine. It works fine although there is always a 'security' light flashing on the main Epoch board and LED1 flashes on the other boards, though I ignore this as it doesn't affect gameplay.

I managed to get a manual for the elegance cabinet and it suggested that a NV4 note acceptor would fit. I got one and plugged it into the connector and LEDs 2 and 3 are alternately flashing indicating the unit is working properly, however the machine itself doesn't seem to know it exists as it doesn't accept credit when notes are inserted and there is no option in test mode for testing it.

After reading forums I have found some mention on security needing to be reset after installing a note acceptor, but can't find any info on how to do this, i'm hoping this may solve the flashing leds too, anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong and how to fix it?
aaamusements.co.uk

Post by aaamusements.co.uk »

The flashing LEDs are normal.

Make sure that DIL switch 2 is set to "On". This tells the machine that a note acceptor is fitted.
Tinkerdog

Post by Tinkerdog »

Thanks for your reply aamusements.co.uk

Changing DIL Switch 2 to On has made the machine say Note Acceptor when it powers up. Strangly my machine has nearly all DILs labeled, could you tell me what DIL switches 6 and 8 do (if anything) as they are the only others without an explanation. Also the test has now appeared in test mode. However no matter how many notes I try it will not accept any as currency. I thought perhaps it needed reteaching, but flicking the switch to teach does nothing, still LEDs 2 and 3 flash alternatly. I have read that later firmwares disabled manual teaching and this is Firmware 7.76, could that be the cause? If so, is there anything I can do? I am trying to enter teach mode while connected to the fruit machine, should I instead power it from a 12V source whilst isolated from the machine?

Thanks again for your help.
reelman

Post by reelman »

Depending on whether the NV4 you have is parallel or serial, you'll need to connect it direct to either the hopper driver board or the main CPU.
Tinkerdog

Post by Tinkerdog »

The wire was already connected into the board which has a socket labelled 'acceptor' I have looked on the other boards and none of them have a similar socket to connect into. If there is a way to connect it into the main cpu board then it would need another cable, and nothing else is labelled to indicate it could take it. For the moment I have given up, it just seems incompatible.
reelman

Post by reelman »

You're quite right, the connection on the main board isn't labelled up as note acceptor, but "serial port 2" and yes, you'll need a different loom in order to connect to this.
A parallel NV4 connects to the hopper driver board (where I believe your loom is already connected) whilst a serial NV4 needs connecting to the serial port 2 of the main board.
I suspect you're right ~ your NV4 and your loom are not compatible.

pm me if you're interested in a serial loom for the NV4