how to legally end a short term tenancy agreement?

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
mr lugsy

how to legally end a short term tenancy agreement?

Post by mr lugsy »

o.k ,i want to end my tenancy which does'nt expire till august 24th,i'll have been where i am 3 years next month .the agent says i'm locked into the contract and cannot get out of it.

we've 2 small kids and have completely outgrown the property which is a small 2 bedroom house.

any ideas which do not involve ruining our credit rating ,paying 5 months rent or being pursued through the courts?
gambogaz1

Post by gambogaz1 »

What contract you actually locked into?? If you haven't signed anything for ages then you should effectively be on a rolling month by month contract, However if you've signed a 6 or 12 month lease then your stuck really.
betchrider wrote:You go upto a bird and grab her quim and say "im gonna knock the fuck outta this" and see what happens
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

I've been in this situation before where I was tied into a contract I couldn't get out of it. I explained the situation to the letting agents and they said that they would advertise it and if someone else agreed to rent it before the end of the period then they would pass it over to them.

of course, it does mean that you have people tramping round your house all the time.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

cheers,the lease was initially 6mths and has been extended several times.
i think i might be able to play the h&s card because of the kids and the fact there's no bannister on the stairs either side,fook knows really on that score.
alcozar

Post by alcozar »

Best asking a solicitor/lawyer to check things out. Dodgy situation to be in.
sir ratholer

Post by sir ratholer »

Citizens advice bureau will be able to help - I was sceptical whether they could help me following tenancy issues in my old flat but I was pushed into going to see them, they were brilliant. Really knew their stuff.
Bored of the grind.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

that would be a bit on top :lol:
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

assured shorthold?

you need to give one periods notice plus one period/ end period of rental

so if its a 12 month contract 6 months 3 months or a single month it makes a difference

but, one thing you COULD do

move out,

sell the keys to a drug dealer, who can fill it with dope plants and do a grow of weed,

they'll happily give you £500 a week to "rent" the place...
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

mr lugsy wrote:cheers,the lease was initially 6mths and has been extended several times.
i think i might be able to play the h&s card because of the kids and the fact there's no bannister on the stairs either side,fook knows really on that score.
that is illegal

plus, has it had a gas check, carbon monoxide check and fire alarm fitted,

did you pay a bond? did they state they had kept it in a holding/zero interest account

is it actually an enforcable contract?
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

Spyder wrote:
mr lugsy wrote:cheers,the lease was initially 6mths and has been extended several times.
that is illegal

plus, has it had a gas check, carbon monoxide check and fire alarm fitted,

did you pay a bond? did they state they had kept it in a holding/zero interest account

is it actually an enforcable contract?

we signed the extensions to the tenancy ourselves ,everything's above board,deposit is held in a seperate account as should be.
seems that we are stuck unless landlord agrees to let us out of it early or letting agent will agree to advertise the house while we're still there.

as for turning it into a skunk farm................ :lol:
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

mr lugsy wrote: the fact there's no bannister on the stairs either side
that is the illegal bit,

maybe citizens advice can pick through and terminate the contract due to this.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

that's what i'm hoping ,i'll see them sometime this week.the house originally had one but it was cut away at some point so that it is completely open until you get half way up.

i'm just worried that they may refuse us a reference if we try to rubbish their contract on a technicality.
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

mr lugsy wrote:that's what i'm hoping ,i'll see them sometime this week.the house originally had one but it was cut away at some point so that it is completely open until you get half way up.

i'm just worried that they may refuse us a reference if we try to rubbish their contract on a technicality.
fuck references, make some up.. id give you a reference saying i rent you a house for a few years if you want?? lol