What car should I get??

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
sir ratholer

What car should I get??

Post by sir ratholer »

Ok since I wrote off my last car (a deer ran out in front of me at point blank range) the day before NYE, I've had a hire car, now I've got the insurance sorted I need to get a new car.

Got about £6k to spend, want something lowish mileage as I rack up the miles and something at least with a 1.6 engine, but nothing too juicy on the petch.

Any ideas?? And what cars are the players choice these days?!
harry2

Post by harry2 »

The bottom has dropped right out of the second hand market so you pick up a real bargain. There's plenty of choice, but I hate to choose cars for people. What did you drive before ?
Roulette free since December 2011.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

talk about cervine you right.

(with apologies to His Eminence)
nobody ever wins on those things.
thecannonball89

Post by thecannonball89 »

Golf turbo diesel!
sir ratholer

Post by sir ratholer »

harry2 wrote:The bottom has dropped right out of the second hand market so you pick up a real bargain. There's plenty of choice, but I hate to choose cars for people. What did you drive before ?
Yeah it's definitely a buyers market for sure, I'll definitely be doing plenty of negotiating :wink:

My last 3 cars have been a Peugeot 307, BMW 3 series and MGF, tho I've got a hire Corsa at the moment and it doesn't get on well with hills lol.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

I wouldn't Bovidae getting a Deer one...

(Even more apologies required!)

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about cars at the moment. I've a Peugeot 307 (2.0 HDI) which has served me well and (touch wood) never let me down yet. Think you can get a good '04/'05 reg second hand for well under your budget. Diesel mind (well, mine is) but it does last...
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Istenem wrote:talk about cervine you right.

(with apologies to His Eminence)
Stag's got to be the worst deer joke I've ever heard.

Talking about old bangers (which I was in another thread), I've a Focus which is pushing the 100k mark and has caused very little bother (apart from looking like something del boy wouldn't drive about in). If you're looking for reliability, you could send me 6 grand.
rook1984

Post by rook1984 »

Im also on the lookout for a new motor. Somebody suggested to me to try the car auctions rather than a second hand car dealer.

The theory behind it was that as a lot of businesses have gone bust they get rid of the company cars there.

Anybody else heard this?
sir ratholer

Post by sir ratholer »

rook1984 wrote:Im also on the lookout for a new motor. Somebody suggested to me to try the car auctions rather than a second hand car dealer.

The theory behind it was that as a lot of businesses have gone bust they get rid of the company cars there.

Anybody else heard this?
Hmmm not a bad shout, does anyone know if u can test drive the cars there in advance of bidding on them?? I have a huge auction house 10 minutes from my flat.
sir ratholer

Post by sir ratholer »

Matt Vinyl wrote:I wouldn't Bovidae getting a Deer one...

(Even more apologies required!)

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about cars at the moment. I've a Peugeot 307 (2.0 HDI) which has served me well and (touch wood) never let me down yet. Think you can get a good '04/'05 reg second hand for well under your budget. Diesel mind (well, mine is) but it does last...
Lol @ all the deer jokes, I was actually pretty cut up about (probably) killing it.

I did like my Peugeot too which has now gone to salvage after the deer incident, so easy to drive, I had a 1.6 Rapier petrol on a 52 plate, I think I could get a really good 55 one for my budget but I fancy something sporty, maybe a Toyota Celica or Audi TT. Would love a Jaguar XK8 but the servicing costs would be ridiculous.
GaryChandler

Post by GaryChandler »

Cant see ya getting the nicest xk8 with 6 grand!
jaffacat

Post by jaffacat »

I had an Astra Coupe 53 plate which was costing me £280 a month in repayments. The wife kindly smashed it up :roll: last August. Decided I was just going to get a cheap runabout with a budget of 2K. Saw a Vectra 1.8SXi, 2003, full MOT on Ebay for BUY IT NOW £1795. Bought it and got a mechanic mate to check it out before parting with the cash.
Bargains to be found if you`re careful.
sir ratholer

Post by sir ratholer »

GaryChandler wrote:Cant see ya getting the nicest xk8 with 6 grand!
I know its got a v high mileage but this is proof you can get a proper nice car for 6 grand...

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... &postcode= tn4+8bs&channel=CARS&make=JAGUAR&model=XK&min_pr=&max_pr=6000&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2000&vehicleRegLetter=X
GaryChandler

Post by GaryChandler »

fuck that!
harry2

Post by harry2 »

£50 and it's yours.
Attachments
uglycar2_126.gif
uglycar2_126.gif (13.19 KiB) Viewed 877 times
Roulette free since December 2011.