Do you smoke?

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..

Do you smoke?

'socially' e.g. when drinking
7%
No
47%
Yes
47%

Total votes: 30

drop the lot

Post by drop the lot »

Well a good idea :idea: would be to make smokers, smoke in a cage, so all us non-smokers could poke sticks at them, :D :D

on a serious note passive smoking is a killer,, how can smokers justify that proven fact :o ops: :o ops:

Fair enough kill yourself, but why dont you just jump in your car and start mowing down people in the street, saves puffing smoke at them and will speed the job up a bit :shock:
I love it when a plan comes together
jimmymac

Post by jimmymac »

and alcohol is destroying your liver and is killing more people currently, granted im not forcing it down your neck but its doing just as much damage to your body.

Personally i dont go to bars and actively blow smoke at all the non smokers.

Ok so in pubs that are quite confined passive smoking is an issue, but in most modern bars they are quite spacious enough to incorporate proper sections to keep smoke away from people who dont want it. Look at most wetherspoons currently, smoking kept away from bar areas, desginated and well seperated sections, excellent extraction systems drawing smoke away.

Its a bit harsh when people point the stick and start saying 'your killing me with your smoke'. I'm sorry but your killing yourself in many other ways every day, drinking, toxic fumes from cars, unhealthy eating, lack of exercise. Dont look at us for an excuse
tka

Post by tka »

I agree with most things that have been said in this thread.
If you are worried about dying before your time, consider a baby who dies at the age of seven hours. The empty cradle leaves a broken heart.
No wonder I drink!
Demmerz

Post by Demmerz »

I'm a 'social' smoker, which is bollocks because I smoke at work now, too. Eight or Ten a day. So I'm a smoker. I don't do it because I look cool it's just something I've started doing over the last year, strangely.

Just remember one thing, though: the tax smokers pay on cigarettes amounts to a fortune. More people smoke than are taken to hospital because of smoking and, so I'm told, the revenue from tobacco outweighs the monetary burden smoking puts on the NHS. It's actually cost effective (for the time being) for Britain to be holdong a fag, amazingly. So the next time you take your young 'un to the hospital, remember it's the smokers who paid for it!

I do agree with the point that some bars should be non-smoking. If you want to smoke when you're out, go to a smoking bar. If you don't smoke go to a non-smoking bar. There should be more choice; I also hate the stale smell of fags after a night out, as well as that horrible 'hangover' taste it causes!

Oh, tka, how do you smoke on a motorbike?
Still kicking about.
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

jimmymac wrote:and alcohol is destroying your liver and is killing more people currently, granted im not forcing it down your neck but its doing just as much damage to your body.
I'm sorry jimmy, that just isn't true....

'We are in the grip of a smoking epidemic: an estimated 106,000 people in the UK are dying needlessly each year because of smoking' (Liam Donaldson, HDA report 2004)

'The Office for National Statistics data revealed the number of alcohol related deaths in England and Wales was 6,544 in 2004' (BBC article)

That's about 16x more by my reckoning.

Your body can process alchol in reasonable amounts, that's what a liver is for. You can't process tar, which is why it sticks to your lungs and fills you with crap.
Sure binge drinking is a wreck, but that's well known. If you drink sensibly, you won't do any real harm. It's funny how smokers always deal the alcohol card when questioned. I sometimes get the feeling that they miss the boat with regards to drinking only affecting the person who is drinking, not every other person in the vicinity.

I'll just re-iterate what i said earlier about smoking....i don't have a problem with people smoking. It's just the fact i get forced to inhale crap every time i go out that gets me more than anything.

Matt
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
jimmymac

Post by jimmymac »

ok my stats are well out, for that i apologise.

However, the liver cannot process alcohol half as well as you may think, it can tolerate it in very small quantities but after that it just cause a chemical imbalance within the body and damage will occur.

Why do we always pull out the alcohol card, maybe cos smoking and drinking seem to go arm in arm so its easy to relate it to people when discussing this topic

As for being forced to inhale the crap everytime you go out, are you comfortably sat in the non smoking section of the pub at this time. Just humour me, I have many non smoking friends, and when with them I will sit in the non smoking section with them and move elsewhere when i want to smoke. The non smoking section has never held a problem for any of my friends, they seem to be quite happy there.

I am agreeing that we should compromise, enlarge the non smoking sections, give them 75% of the bar, more if the need be, leave us with a small section where we can just nip off and have a cig. But dont punish us for an addiction that soceity has created, that the government love to tax us on. Give us some sort of leeway on this
tka

Post by tka »

Demmerz wrote:Oh, tka, how do you smoke on a motorbike?
Dunno, I have a push bike for work.

Guys we are not gonna agree on the smoking thing, this site is not for arguments or unreliable stats.

And the thread was only started by a poster who wants to earn points from our replies so he can play the games here.

We are all right, we are all wrong.
No wonder I drink!
jimmymac

Post by jimmymac »

oh i do love to mass debate :lol:
jimmymac

Post by jimmymac »

agreed tka, there cant really be a right or wrong, its just a matter of opinion, and on a topic like smoking the opinions are that much more solid.

I understand all of the grievances that non smokers have, but as a smoker i wont be able to agree with them either.

The only thing we can do is a agree to disagree and that is that.

Hope nothing was taken in offence matt (dont think i was offensive anyway :lol: )
Demmerz

Post by Demmerz »

Stop spoiling my fun. I'm in a giddy mood and was happy poking non-smokers with a big, lit stick! You're no fun....

And if you're on a push bike it's easy to smoke. A bit dangerous in London though.....
Still kicking about.
remy

Post by remy »

ok let me light up a big fat cigar b4 i type ........... ahh thats better. Now THERE ARE LOTS OF shit caps lock sorry. there are lots of things they say will put you in an early grave. drinking. smoking.driving. flying your life is this long/.....................................................................................................................................................................fill with what you want and enjoy. by the way i typed in failure in google and clicked in i feel lucky and fell off me chair laughing.
nudgesuk

Post by nudgesuk »

[quote="&quot"]
on a serious note passive smoking is a killer,, how can smokers justify that proven fact :o ops: :o ops:

YOU COULD DIE ANY DAY ANYTIME ANYWAY SO I DONT THINK SMOKING ISA REALLY BIG THING TO BE HONEST AND WHEN YOU SAY PASSIVE SMOKING WELL WHY SHOULD SOMEBODY HAVE TO CHANGE BECUSE YOU DONT LIKE STANDING BESIDE THEM?

I THINK IF THERE IS A TOTAL BAN ON SMOKING IN PUBS BECAUSE ITS DISGUSTING THEN THERE SHOULD BE A BAN ON GAY'S AS WELL COS THATS DISGUSTING . I AM NOT HOMOPHOBIC BUT IM ARGUING MY CASE

I ALSO THINK THAT THEY SHOULD MAKE SMOKING ANDNON SMOKING PUBS BECAUSE WHAT IS GOOD FOR ONE SHOULD BE GOODFOR ANOTHER BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY WE ALL HAVE THE SAME RIGHT TO BE ON THIS EARTH AS ANYONE ELSE SOWHY SHOULD WE HAVE LIBERTYS TAKEN FROM US BECAUSE THE PEOPLE WHO DONT SMOKE DONT LIKE IT ......SOME PEOPLE CHOOSETO GAMBLE SUM CHOOSE TO DRINK SOME PEOPLECHOOSETO SMOKEI CHOOSETO DO ALL3LOVE OR HATE METHATS WHO I AM AND NOBODY IS GONNA CHANGE ME WELLMAYBE THE GAMBLING COS ITS A BIT OUTOF CONTROL AT THE MOMENT
remy

Post by remy »

well said nudges each to their own apart from gays ugggghhhhh that is disgusting and if you got the money gambling is fun if not its torture thats y we need this forum to help us along a bit :lol:
drop the lot

Post by drop the lot »

Well everyone to there own,,but the reality would hit home if a relitave or close freind went through an agonising death through passive smoking!

Nudges i probably though the same way as you when i was a niave 16y old,lol

Betting, drinking and smoking all have there evils :shock: but people should have the choice of wether they want to inhale second hand smoke and not be just forced on them by ignorant smokers..........

Rant Over
I love it when a plan comes together
jimmymac

Post by jimmymac »

theres that point, people should have a choice, with that i agree. You should have the choice not to breathe second hand smoke, we should have the choice to smoke or not. We should not be forced into the streets.

It should be left to the landlords discretion as to whether he wants to allow smokers or not.

That then leaves us all with the choice of whether we go to a bar we can smoke in or not