Sky TV

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
Fader

Sky TV

Post by Fader »

Hi, im a telewest member at the moment and its just as you all know gone to Virgin and is now awful...

i got a leaflet through the door and despite thinking to myself i wouldnt go to Sky im thinking about it - the price is good £26 a month for TV/Phone and internet upto 8meg compared to my poncy 2meg, but my main worry is the quality.

my sister was renting a house for 2 years which had Sky Tv and she said it would constantly be affected by snow, rain, even the cold weather (which aint a help if your living in england)

i just wanted other peoples view who have it or know of people that have it, and what you'd rate it out of 10 compared to other suppliers of internet and TV

thanks alot
Fader
Chance favours the prepared mind!
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Hiya mate...

We've had Sky for about two years now, and I've been pretty impressed. The only two down points I can think ofr are:

- If it thunders, you'll pretty much be without it.

- If it's windy, your dish may 'move' out of position and cause the dreaded 'No Satelite Signal' message.

That second point - At first we didn't know what the problem was, so we phoned up customer services, and all they said was: "We'll give you a new dish and a new box, and it'll be £70!". That seems to be their answer to any technical issues!

Me and a mate teamed up and whilst I was up the ladder tweaking the position of the dish (we remembered that it had been extremely windy for a few days beforehand!) he was watching the box, and I got it in position, tightened it up, and it's worked fine ever since...

...£70 my arse! ;)

But, I still couldn't live without it! We've got the full sports and movies pack and it's around £40 a month. I watch at least two footy games a week at home, and perhaps one down the pub. Me and the missus will also watch a film 3 or 4 times a week, so we definitely get our moneys worth.

And UKTV Gold / Paramount Comedy keep me going through 'sick' days at home... ;)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
ssgtsnelly

Post by ssgtsnelly »

get sky mate, virgin is the biggest piece of shit ever, tv is shit and more expensive than sky and thier internet services are now beyond a joke, 10 meg service getting max of 1 with the same old shit scripted results when you phone up and get redirected to india.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

I wouldn't give Rupert Murdoch the shite off my shoe.
bat_fink

Post by bat_fink »

TOP TIP

just remember if you have to call them......

DONT USE THE PREMIUM RATE NUMBER !!!!

use http://www.saynoto0870.com 8) also great for other rip-off merchants who wont give you there geographical numbers.
rocket

Post by rocket »

My Dad has Virgin and my mum has Sky+. I've gotta say that virgin takes it for me - the on demand is great, and if we get V+ it will just be awesome. Sky+ is good, but the internet is piss poor - constantly having to reset the router and computer to get it to work. Plus they sell it you with a wireless router, but it costs extra to get a wireless card / receiver!
Hangmanfan

Post by Hangmanfan »

I had the same problem with the wind affecting the signal, but also had the same idea of going up the ladder myself. Result: fixed signal for £0.00

Also, after X amount of months/years, phone them up and say "Hello, I'd like to cancel Sky please." They should then offer you the same package, half price, for about six months, just to keep your subscription. I hear that story about 5 times a year :)
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

Rod Hull tried to fix a dodgy ariel, and we all know what happened to him! :D
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
rocket

Post by rocket »

Hangmanfan wrote:I had the same problem with the wind affecting the signal, but also had the same idea of going up the ladder myself. Result: fixed signal for £0.00

Also, after X amount of months/years, phone them up and say "Hello, I'd like to cancel Sky please." They should then offer you the same package, half price, for about six months, just to keep your subscription. I hear that story about 5 times a year :)
Very true - my uncle has now done this 3 times running. He has a big package, with most stuff plus either sports (but no movies) or movies (but no sports) - I forget! Anyway, he phoned up to cancel after he got sick of it and they offered it to him for a tenner a month for 6 months. Naturally, he took them up on the offer.

6 months later he phoned up to cancel again - so they offered him exactly the same deal! He did it again and is now into his third lot of 6 months at a tenner!
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

LOL @ MattB! ;)

Oh, and...
He has a big package
...no comment!!!

:) :) :)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
MrRed

Post by MrRed »

I have Sky HD and Virgin Broadband and Phone Line
Great combo as Virgin telly is Shit and so is Sky's Broadband

Although i pay £63.50 a month to Sky :shock:
£43.50 for the full package then £10 for the Sky+ in my bedroom then an extra £10 for the HD subscription
Add to this £26 for broadband and phone and its pricey
But in my opinion its worth it
MordaciousK(nudges*star)

Post by MordaciousK(nudges*star) »

Any of u from Scotland got Setanta then?
Happiness is only two nudges away.Pity you only got 1!
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Nope. Although my mate (who is actually English but lives in Scotland), to this day calls it Santana, and wonders why he gets laughed at in pubs.
MordaciousK(nudges*star)

Post by MordaciousK(nudges*star) »

I take it he's not a guitar lover then?
Happiness is only two nudges away.Pity you only got 1!
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Nope, though he does eat roadkill.