My match against Ding....

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
Mattb

My match against Ding....

Post by Mattb »

*excuse this, its a straight copy from another forum (so some isn't relevant to you lot). Basically i got to play a frame of snooker against current UK snooker champ Ding Junhui. Here's my write up... 8) *

==============================================

Evenin' all.

Not sure if anyone was in WTs tonight, but Willie Thorne & Ding Junhui were there (back by popular demand after last years visit). I'd stuck my name into the lucky draw ages ago to play one of 4 frames against the guy this evening. Obviously thinking i had no chance of playing, i went down there anyway to watch.

The first guy who played him got 3 shots all game. A poor safety let Ding in, who cleared the table with a 125 total clearance. Awesome.

WT then called up the second guy to play. He didn't emerge, so another name was drawn. That happened to be me! Shocked and bricking it, up i went to break off against the UK champion.
A warm up would have been nice, but no such luck. Straight into the break, which was piss poor and left 2 reds on. He banged a long red in, and i thought i might not even get another shot. Downed the black, then unexpectedly missed and left me in.

After a quick scan, i had a nice plant into the corner. Sunk that to be left a thin pink with only a small gap to pot into. Tucked that in nicely to be left a long red that Ding had left over the pocket. Smashed that in with plenty o' bottom right to swing round onto the green. Stunned that in down the table to drop on two reds, but i just nudged the blue that was nearby and was left nowt. Bugger it. At least i didn't get dished though. Played safe to be sure, and got a nice round of applause for potting a few balls. Nice!

After a couple of awful long red attempts by me, i left him in again where he made 30ish before missing. I had a tricky red in the middle on, but with no obvious safety, i was forced into it. I missed it, and let him in again. He made another 30 odd before again running off and missing.

At this point i was about 50 behind with 4 reds left. Not much to play with, but i had a nice red black chance. He left me a long red, which i slotted in nicely to some generous applause. I'd left myself a decentish angle on the black, but i was stretching over the table. Missed the pot by a fair bit really, but got the position on the reds. Ding then duly mopped those up before missing the last blue.

I'd lost, but not done too badly. Got the professional UK champ down to 3 reds, which i was more than happy with. I didn't play anywhere near my best, but a combination of nerves and no practice killed me i reckon. Still a great experience to play the guy though, he's unbelievably good!

Matt
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
mattrick

Post by mattrick »

Fair play to you fella, bet it was great fun :-)
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

Yeah it was class!

Just happy i didn't get dished.....a couple of better shots and a bit more luck and i could have run him a bit closer!

Matt
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
Matty

Post by Matty »

Ive played with Chris Small before but he mopped the floor with me :(
Gone.But not forgotton 16th Aug 2006..............
mattrick

Post by mattrick »

I played against my 62 year old short-sighted, tennis elbowed, shaky handed dad on Sunday and even he gave me a lesson :roll:
Scott

Post by Scott »

I've had my ass kicked as a 12 year old at centre parks by Tony Knowles.
It looks hard when you watch on t.v but when you see it up close and live you can appreciate how good these guys are.
Cobwebs 👆
mjd

Post by mjd »

The Name Tony Knowles sounds familliar!?
boom
Scott

Post by Scott »

He was pretty famous in the 80s. when i played him in the mid 90s his career was pretty much over but he was still knockin em in off the lampshades. :P

think he may have been from bolton.
Cobwebs 👆
mattrick

Post by mattrick »

extreme eddie wrote:He was pretty famous in the 80s. when i played him in the mid 90s his career was pretty much over but he was still knockin em in off the lampshades. :P

think he may have been from bolton.
He sure was, and still is, he has a snooker club there which i sometimes play league matches in!!
Fader

Post by Fader »

id of taken him :lol:
Chance favours the prepared mind!
Scott

Post by Scott »

yeah i gave him a chance too be honest.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cobwebs 👆
Fader

Post by Fader »

:lol:
Chance favours the prepared mind!
JustAnotherClone

Post by JustAnotherClone »

Nice Read Matt, i thought it was going to be a fairytale ending with you clearing up at the end 8)
rocket

Post by rocket »

I'm from and in Bolton. Wheres this snooker club this fellow owns then?!