Have we lost the value of money as gamblers/ are we more tight now

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
maverick69

Have we lost the value of money as gamblers/ are we more tight now

Post by maverick69 »

Right, so today i had some mates over to watch the football and have a few beers and play pool. Now we chatted about a lot of stuff, mostly women, football, films, life and work . Now what interested me was the state of how they value money as non gamblers...we discussed briefly how we were getting on. Now one of my mates is doing pretty well for himself..now he told us hes on 60,000 a year...he is older than me at 32 and has a wife and two kids. I wasn't drinking in the afternoon as i had to do some driving later on this evening. Now i dropped them all home, bit of a squeeze 5 in my golf but we got there in the end , even though they were all pissed up. I'd got back to the apartment to find my mate had left his wallet on the sofa...so i rang him up said i was going over that way and i would drop it off in the morning. Now i'm not one to be nosing through people's stuff, but as i picked up the wallet to put it on the sideboard,,,,his pay slip fell out. Curiosity got the better of me and as he had already told me what he was earning and it was open....i had a look i know a bit naughty, but its not like a nicked any money or banged his misses lol, plus he had already told me. Now his total pay b4 tax was 4897 pounds....yet his take him net pay was a little over 3200. Now his tax was huge...and NI, and a large pension contribution. Now he has a mortgage or 1000 a month, car insurance, utility bills, phone bills etc. Now i consider him getting good money..... the rest of the country are on absolute fucking buttons.

I'm disgusted at how i wasted money over the years, although i still saved when the days were good. But put it into perspective...money in the real world and money in the gambling world are completely different . How can people justify sticking a grand into a FOBT.

What does everyone think about how money is viewed in real terms and in gambling terms ??????
Glendale

Post by Glendale »

I have always been a realist with money, bank it it the good times and take, even though i hate it, in the bad times! I see exactly what your saying as so many take it for granted! It is a game that you get used to but so many more are so much worse off!
I am Glendale, much better than you!
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

quick poll - who averages more than 3200 after expenses most months?
AMK

Post by AMK »

3200 after expenses if good going. Fits well with the

WOULD YOU BE HAPPY WITH £100 A DAY thread :)
... Join The Party!
Plumy2k

Post by Plumy2k »

That's working every day mind. Not sure many do that.
maverick69

Post by maverick69 »

plus no pension, he is putting 300 a month into a pension by the looks of it
maverick69

Post by maverick69 »

I know the blackmogu, worked and gambled in London , i wonder what his take is on ...earning/ gambling and living costs
Glendale

Post by Glendale »

Will gladly admit, as nobody else will, been a tough month with changes here and there! Nowhere near that amount in last month but swings and roundabouts so should cruise it in the next month!
I am Glendale, much better than you!
amazing

Post by amazing »

Glendale wrote:Will gladly admit, as nobody else will, been a tough month with changes here and there! Nowhere near that amount in last month but swings and roundabouts so should cruise it in the next month!
Getting tougher for all lost lots of machines in the last 12+ wk myself had to rely on less locals and source machines miles away myself perfects mists rapids etc good job I'm not reliance on them at the min but long term I agree it's going to only get worse at the min, not a lot of whispers coming down the grapevine either so maybe time for mc Donalds !
Enjoying life to the max!

I'll be back
BFK

Post by BFK »

His payslip fell out!!!!
maverick69

Post by maverick69 »

BFK wrote:His payslip fell out!!!!
ok i took it out lol...cant fool the bfk.
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

maverick69 wrote:I know the blackmogu, worked and gambled in London , i wonder what his take is on ...earning/ gambling and living costs
Well it all depends on what you are comfortable with. I certainly would not be comfortable on £3200 a month, but then I am married and expect high standards in life - I refuse to settle for less. If you have any sort of foundation to your life, then it's pretty hard to be satisfied with living in stab city in shabby rented accommodation.

Now to answer the question about how money is viewed in the working world as opposed to the gambling world:-

Working hard in gainful employment teaches most people the value of money. Even though the majority earn a pittance, they make it work through frugality and wise decisions borne out of necessity. Over time they build up equity in a house and an employment reputation that allows them to increase their earning potential. They slowly advance their financial stability over many years.

Compare this to the gambler, who earns money far more easily. On the whole money is not respected, and pissed away on frivolities. Even though the gambler may earn more over a given timespan, most will have comparably less to show for it due to the lamentable lack of discipline that easy money fosters. A full-time gambler also chooses higher short term earning potential for the duration of his career in exchange for work history, credit history and professional networking.

To all the full-timers :- You think you made the right choice now, but what does the future hold ? I'm pretty sure that for most of you it's going to be bleak, and many will be asking the average workers who pay tax from their buttons salary to bail you out with unemployment benefit and housing benefit in the future.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

100% agree.

If you could only ever be on shit money with zero prospects then play fruits.

if you think you can save a bit while you're young then it's okay to play short-term.

fruits are prob a bit like being a stripper (no, not getting bent over in the services), there WILL come a time when you wonder where the years went, that it was the wrong "choice" and, due to almost being institutionalised in this existence, you WILL struggle to make the necessary adjustments to leave flashing lights in wooden cabinets.

have a plan, or you WILL regret it.

listen to experience.

another alternative is become the absolute best in the game and crush like redlinesman, retire early and buy a european city!
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

good post as always , , , , who knows where our future lies
Little discipline = BIG issue

JG

Post by JG »

A pertinent question but curiosity dictates I ask of Blackmogu "what would you deem an acceptable take home post tax/expenses pay from any income source?"
JG