First car

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
gmckee03

First car

Post by gmckee03 »

Just bought my first car :)
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

Have they got cars in Ireland now?
mjd

Post by mjd »

Congrats :)

Take good care of it.
I bought my Corsa for £2,195, and what was so amazing about it was it had only done 4,000 miles (the guy we bought it from rarely used it, mostly kept indoors).. 6 and a half years on I still have it, and its still got under 30,000 miles on the clock!

I think its slowly starting to die though, running over bumps in the road is not making me confident anymore, it makes a different sound.. Im absolutely gutted (and also about how much money i have to pay to get even half a tank of petrol)... But I love that car, its never gone wrong (until - add date here) :)

When I do have to take the plunge and buy a new car, if its even half as good as the one I have now I will be happy.
boom
mjd

Post by mjd »

Infact, my favourite photo with my car in the frame is this one :

Winter Camping, it was amazing! Not a sole on that campsite when that was taken.. During the weekend other cars were getting stuck everywhere that weekend (you can see why) but mine never got stuck once! FWD and excellent tyres. I remember pushing a BMW estate out of the snow in the foreground with two others, hatchbacks have their uses :)
boom
mjd

Post by mjd »

sorry to blabber on.. !
boom
quizard

Post by quizard »

I don't think you need to bother with MOT's in NI? Is that right?
Gogs

mjd

Post by Gogs »

mjd the mileage was wrong, if it had done 4,000 thats only 76 miles a week at 1 year old total, 19 miles a week at 4 years old, it has been proved that drivers are excited about driving their brand new car and in 99.00% of cases will do more than the 12,000 average in the first year, this 12,000 average is for the first 3 years, and then 8,000 a year after this as the novelty has worn off, even old people drive more in the first year, even so you would still pay more than a couple of grand for it. i suggest the clock has only got 5 digits and has went up to 99,999 and turned back to 00000 then round again, it is easier to do 30,000 miles a year than 1000 miles a year, and cars that do long motorway driving never have worn seats, steering wheels pedals etc as the driver is in a motionless state most of the time so no wear even at 200,000 miles the car can still be totally immaculate except for small chips on front of bonnet and lower sides of car. as for the fuel try and get your hands on a small diesel car and buy industrial red diesel from anybody you know that works/runs a building site or farm. i was driving a 4x4 lwb pajero (shogun) cost £90 at the garage to fill, cost me £25 for the cherry diesel to fill it. just keep your mouth shut and nobody will ever know. if you get caught you will be fined, caught a second time around and they will confiscate your car. diesels are high mileage cars but change the oil every 4,000 miles or 4 months and the oil filter with the oil every 8000, it will run forever even clocking up 250,000 miles and peugeot diesel engines are one of the hardest wearing, newer vehicles can find it hard to run on red gas oil compared to the thinner white from the service station, but the law is changing to make the older gas oil (red diesel) illegal and they are now using the same derv as the service station with a dye in.
BFK

Post by BFK »

mjd wrote:Congrats :)

Take good care of it.
I bought my Corsa for £2,195, and what was so amazing about it was it had only done 4,000 miles (the guy we bought it from rarely used it, mostly kept indoors).. 6 and a half years on I still have it, and its still got under 30,000 miles on the clock!

I think its slowly starting to die though, running over bumps in the road is not making me confident anymore, it makes a different sound.. Im absolutely gutted (and also about how much money i have to pay to get even half a tank of petrol)... But I love that car, its never gone wrong (until - add date here) :)

When I do have to take the plunge and buy a new car, if its even half as good as the one I have now I will be happy.
Starting to die with less than 30K on the clock??

Thats barely run in man!!! Especially with the modern engines of today and even ones built in the early 90's!!

I cant imagine a Corsa is very expensive to run either. I reckon I'm pretty much putting a ton a week in mine at the mo.

Fucking disgusting.
Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

Blimey BFK, where are you travelling to go through a ton a week?? Time for a change of motor maybe!!
how about a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.
BFK

Post by BFK »

Thats only just over a tank a week, only got a 2 litre mondy. Bout 450-500ish miles a week is all you get with todays pathetic petrol prices.

Diesel for me next time tho!!
mjd

Post by mjd »

difficult to say. Short journeys apparantly don't do the exhaust much good from what I once heard, and 6 years of working very close to workplace may been starting to show the strain.
Also commuting to the Lake District. A lot of cummutes over mountain passes etc.. But im guessing.

Bump bump today turned into rattle rattle :(
boom
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

mjd wrote:difficult to say. Short journeys apparantly don't do the exhaust much good from what I once heard, and 6 years of working very close to workplace may been starting to show the strain.
Also commuting to the Lake District. A lot of cummutes over mountain passes etc.. But im guessing.

Bump bump today turned into rattle rattle :(
Cattle grids would have probably knackered something down there. Back in the day Dad had a Hillman Imp and he went over a cattle grid quite quick and that did the axle or something in.
gmckee03

Post by gmckee03 »

It was a corsa I got newer shape than that one 40,000 miles 1400 so it'll do till I'm off R plates and get something bigger... And yes we do have mot,s in ni mate