Time to Admit

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
mouse75

Post by mouse75 »

BFK wrote:
Nixxy wrote:
messiah wrote:Ferguson spent massive amounts for the time for years before winning anything:

Pallister, Ince, Hughes, Keane were all bought for multi-millions.

Then you have the high amounts spent on the rest of the squad (Cantona, Bruce, McClair etc)

Ferguson bought the title for Man Utd the same way Blackburn and Chelsea did. He just took a bit longer.
Cor blimey, me and Kesh seem to be agreeing on something here .... :shock:

Ferguson never splashed the cash in the way you describe, Messiah - as Pallister (still at Middlesbrough), Ince (still at West Ham), Keane (still at Forest) and co hadn't even arrived when the success story started. Bruce was brought in from Gillingham after being told he wouldn't make it as a footballer.

It was club-built success based on average players becoming a formidable team at no great expense, being watched by huge crowds bolstering the income. It started with winning cups and moved on to winning leagues.

The income from the success and the resulting revenues earned him the ability to be able to pay larger salaries but even then he's still managed to develop much of the squad from within the club.

As a Fulham fan I may not like watching Utd win but from a distance, I can't avoid acknowledging and admiring how it was done.
For the 100th time I'm NOT kesh!!

Bruce was purchased from Norwich I believe for either £800k or £825k.
Ferguson was one season from the boot - and managed to win the League cup - then their dominance started. But before that they were selling out every week and generating their funds. I'm LFC forever - but i do actually admire Ferguson (as well as hating his guts!!!). He has consistently built and rebuilt teams - with little initial investment - its all club generated.
Not many teams have bought the Title - Chelsea and Blackburn - all others have built teams up on a year by year basis - something Ferguson is one of the best in the world at.
BFK

Post by BFK »

Was the fa cup he won but ur right.

Utd success admittedly not so much now but certainly throughout the 90's came from a mix of spending and youth.

Yes they may have won the title b4 the influx of fergies fledglings arrived, but the youth team players and the buys fergie purchased made them dominate after.

As said before that's nothing like city Chelsea or Blackburn went about it. Utd's progress was a building plan not a let's buy anyone we can and hope to dominate that way.
mjd

Post by mjd »

near 200M loss..

My drunk perspective of that is, its not that much!

For instance Yaya Toure (who in my opinion is one of the greatest players this planet has ever seen - by far their best player) gets 200K a week, its a bit boggling!
boom