Health!!

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
CrosbyRules

Health!!

Post by CrosbyRules »

Just decided to get a gym membership for the new year, and start dieting for the summer of my life :)
Going on my first lads holiday in the summer and realised I'm not going to pull shit with my belly and chicken wings :D !
I'm not gonna lie, i'm not disgracfully overweight, but I just feel I want to look better, and at last have some determanation to do it.
Wish me luck lads :lol:
Unbelievable Jeff
Debz

Post by Debz »

Good Luck! :D
nudgesuk wrote:nah were all good people on here i can just imagine what a nightout it would be cos some of these boys are crazy lol i reckon it would be a great laugh.
mjd

Post by mjd »

Good luck! Ive thought of joining a gym myself, its very cheap, does your body good, and keeps you away from the pub!
boom
bigv038

Post by bigv038 »

im going to start running every night in the new year to keep me fit.
JustAnotherClone

Post by JustAnotherClone »

Good Luck!!

After deciding im going aussie i joined the gym to make sure i can pull the sheilas on the beach :) Not been for a month or 2 but starting proper again in the new year :lol:
CrosbyRules

Post by CrosbyRules »

JESUS!! Just had my first big session, 6:45 till 9:30, hardly stopped, my arms and legs feel like jelly, and i'm back there in the morning :D !
Unbelievable Jeff
ssgtsnelly

Post by ssgtsnelly »

fuckin hell mate thats a session..dont mean to act the know all but is it wise to go from nothing to a beef up like that? cud do more damage than good
or is that on the gyms advice?
CrosbyRules

Post by CrosbyRules »

It's def not good, but was trying everything out etc, lol! I deserve to feel like I do! Oh well, bring on tomorrow, and the next day and the next :)
Unbelievable Jeff
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

Yes, not good! :P

I've done a fair bit of exercise prescription in my degree, it's interesting stuff! 8)

From nothing, you should be really looking at 3 times a week for around 30mins at a moderate intensity. Once you've got a good base, just increase yourself up to 4 times a week, then to 40-45minutes.

Remember SPORT (Specific, Progressive-Overload, Reversibility, Tedium) when you plan any training, and you won't go far wrong.

Matt
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs »

crosbyrules wrote:JESUS!! Just had my first big session, 6:45 till 9:30, hardly stopped, my arms and legs feel like jelly, and i'm back there in the morning :D !
you'll do more harm than good.

max gym time should be about 45 mins then the benefits drop drastically.

should go a max of 4 times per week and never work the same area 2 days running.

day one - cardio - bike, rower etc
day two - work the legs on weights followed by 10 minute run
day three - biceps, lats, pec (top half basically)
~ rest~

do it again but alternate the cardio equip Xtrainer, Rower, Bike, Runner etc.

also dont go on a diet because diets are destined to fail. just cut things down and add more veg so you still enjoy your food and dont start to hate meal times.

few chan ges like grilling things instead of frying them, having a massive breakfast easting more slow release carbs so you dont reach for the crisps chocs.

if your doing it properly you wont drop loads of weight fast, if you do it'll just be water and muscle mass which is bad. you weight should stay fairly staic but you'l build more muscle which will mean you burn more doing nothing!

hope this helps :D
Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs »

ssgtsnelly wrote:fuckin hell mate thats a session..dont mean to act the know all but is it wise to go from nothing to a beef up like that? cud do more damage than good
or is that on the gyms advice?
he wont beef up, he's not giving his body time to recover - its counter productive and thats why alot of people who start at teh gym give up so easy. they cain it for teh first 4 weeks and nothing happens, they get disillusioned and quit.

building muscle is all about giving your body time to recover and repair, building muscle mass is the repairing of torn muscles but if you dont give your biody time to recover your not going to go anywhere.

short term you'll feel good because your being proactive in doing something but medium term you'll realise its not working and take it from me its depressing. i used to think, all that effort for nothing.
CrosbyRules

Post by CrosbyRules »

Yer I know, but first night, wanted to get into it, went this morning for about an hour, a good 15 mins on cardio, rowing and bikes, then 15 on the free weights then a few different upper and lower body weight machines.
Unbelievable Jeff
Drpepper

Post by Drpepper »

Remember mate it's what you eat that's as important as how much exercise you do.

Too many carbs and you'll just be burning them off at the gym and not fat.

That was my problem when i started.
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

Hmm, i wouldn't really advise that. Fat is only burned when the body runs out of other energy supplies. Unless you are a body builder or athlete you shouldn't be loading on carbs anyway.

Think of it this way. Say you consume 2500 Calories a day, and use about the same. You get a stable weight, as energy income matches expenditure. That's more or less why i've been around 10 1/2 stone since i was 15 (now 21).

You now go to the gym and use an extra 800 calories a day. Your energy going out is higher than coming in, so you'll lose weight. No need to worry about diet a great deal (though obviously healthier and balanced is good). I'd say carbs are great for aerobic exercise like running etc. If you have no carbs and start burning loads off, you'll feel dizzy and lethargic. Make sure you get a calorie plan for the exercise you are doing, so you can work out how much is going out. That way you can balance it all out so much better. 8)
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
CrosbyRules

Post by CrosbyRules »

All this hulabaloo! I'm confuzzled, just gonna do what i'm doing and see how it goes, im enjoying it so much which is good, and am enjoying the feeling of not drinking pints, or coke, and not eating chips and pizza etc!
Unbelievable Jeff