Did you support Murray?

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
Scott

Post by Scott »

'Nauseating' gave it away lol.
Cobwebs 👆
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

Been-Grant-Mitchell'd!

Post by Been-Grant-Mitchell'd! »

It's the anti-Englishness of him that pisses most of us off.
logopolis

Post by logopolis »

Yes always been a fan of Murray, ever since the late 80s. Saw him when he visited the Lotus Headquarters some years back. None of the commentators these days match up to him I'm afraid! Still the all time best voice in Motor Racing!
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

Been-Grant-Mitchell'd! wrote:It's the anti-Englishness of him that pisses most of us off.
All he said, when asked if he'd support England in the 2010 World Cup as Scotland weren't there was "I'll be supporting who ever England are playing"
That's hardly "spitting venom" as you said in your OP.

What other "Anti English" behaviour has he demonstrated?
Been-Grant-Mitchell'd!

Did he say he would support England's rivals with a smile or in jest?

No.

That's spitting venom as far as I'm concerned.

When an Englishman goes to Scotland or maybe the more rural parts of Wales, he quite often will encounter some sort of grief. Yet whenever does a Scotsman have trouble when he visits England?
Are you Scottish then Pete?
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

The original comment was made to a newspaper journalist and was apparently said with a smile (or best Murray's face can manage).
According to the journalist concerned, he was responding to a light hearted teasing question with Tim Henman sniggering over his shoulder and was quite clearly meant as a bit of fun.

I'm not Scottish, I'm heart of England, but you have to be pretty hard of thinking to not understand how many Scottish, Welsh and of course Irish feel about the English, given our shared history.

I wouldn't expect a proud Scot to support England in any team sport.
Sports like Tennis where players compete as individuals, as opposed to part of a national team, nationality doesn't come into it.
Andy Murray is not representing his country in singles tennis, only himself.
I have no particularly strong feelings either way on him. Not much of a tennis fan at all for that matter.

Just think you might be over reacting to an off the cuff comment in response to a mischievous question.
Been-Grant-Mitchell'd!

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but the English are still hated probably more than any other country.
It wasn't our generation that pillaged or conquered two fifths of the world, it was centuries ago.
The Germans have been forgiven for starting the worst war in human history so why aren't we?

How many times is an Englishman cast as the evil baddie in a typical American movie for instance?

And when it comes to the debate on Scottish independence, I honestly have no preference as we'll all be part of a United States of Europe one day anyhow.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

With that last line, I can almost hear conspiracy Mike starting to type.

I don't think the Enflish are hated any more than any other Nationality. I'm sure all countries have neighbours or rivals that hold grudges against them. I think one of our image problems is for such a little island, we have a very high opinion of our place in the world. We may have once ruled a fifth of the globe, but we're riding that history pretty hard these days. We're seen as self important and arrogant by many other nations. They may have a point.

Interestingly I heard Rhys Ifans on Radio 4 the other day say he'd heard a theory that the reason Baddies are played English is so as not to alienate sections of the American viewing public. ie, you can't have a black or hispanic villain, or you lose a huge portion of your audience straight away. we're far enough away that it matters less.
Noels Beard

Post by Noels Beard »

Oscar wrote:I'm no fan of Federer, I think he is an arrogant prick but i'm pleased Murray lost. There is nothing remotely endearing about him, in interviews he totally lacks any personality and seems to be devoid of any wit or charisma. I hope he never wins it, and I doubt he ever will.

I enjoy watching tennis, but can't stand the whole upper class, elitist feel about Wimbledon. All those privately educated cunts in the crowd have probably never done a hard days work in their life, yet swan around like they own the place. I noticed all the cameramen and the commentators fawning over Kate Middleton and her socialite sister, and what the fuck was David Cameron doing there when thousands of refugees continue to flood our borders on a daily basis?

Fucking nauseating, all of it.
Do you write editorial pieces for the Daily Mail? You're quite free to go and work anywhere in the European Union if you have the skills. Refugees? Where are we taking Refugees from?!

The UK is home to less than 2% of the world’s refugees – out of 16 million worldwide.
(UNHCR 2008 Global Trends: Refugees, Asylum seekers, Returnees, Internally Displaced and Stateless Persons, 2009)

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/practice/basics/facts

I don't like David Cameron either but I hardly feel his presence at Wimbledon was inappropriate. Considering that Scotland has still not fully devolved from the United Kingdom and we share so much history, I feel it's very positive that he's there to support Andy Murray. As for Kate Middleton and her sister, well their high global media profile does wonders for tourism. The same goes for the rest of the Royal Family. This probably goes a long way to paying your Dole money, so I'd give them a break if I were you.

...and as someone that has spent a fair amount of time in Scotland, I think Murrays observations were probably largely representative of the feelings of that nation as a whole. However - I think this is because of the sport in question. The Scottish love football, but are forever disappointed that their own league is far below par. Their national team rarely qualify for anything now (euro 96 the last one??).

This just seems like the last place you would rant about people being 'lazy' or never having worked. Seeing as most people are either living a fairly comfortable existence playing fruits, or are hoping to forge a fairly comfortable existence playing fruits!
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Many thanks for furnishing me with those statistics.

I work by the way, i'm not one of these people content to sit idly and claim benefits, so get your facts straight before you start getting clever with me.
Noels Beard

Post by Noels Beard »

My apologies then.
Been-Grant-Mitchell'd!

I've never signed on either.
Have you Noel?
Been-Grant-Mitchell'd!

And yes Rich, I can't stand that upper class bollocks either.
So they've - more than likely - been born into money so automatically assume they're better than anyone "lower" than themselves. They're still gonna die one day.

There's a very wealthy guy who has hundreds of acres who lives near us, and he came across as a complete cunt. But after he got to know us, and he had my neighbour work on his house, he was ok.
Then you see this whole aloof act is just that.
But when they give it all that posh talk, I can't stand it.

Like when they say "yar" instead of yes. What the fuck is "yar"?
I thought is was German.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Ha! Very true.

Have you noticed that Kate Middleton has clearly undertaken elocution lessons, as the way she speaks now is totally different to how she spoke during the early stages of her relationship with Prince William? Because of this she has lost (in my opinion) the common touch, although Princess Di still had it.

I'm not saying i've never claimed benefits because I have in the past, but I would rather work and have some purpose in life, than sit around all day doing fuck all, which is pretty much what I have done too much of in my life.