the true value of money

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
red22

Post by red22 »

jg mate your a clever lad... u tried to play serious poker? i think you may have what it takes and im not joking. i know 3 poker pros who just read your thread and would like to meet you .. seriously.
red22

Post by red22 »

there all laptopped up round mine by the way doing a little cheating on a cash game but hey ho
harry2

Post by harry2 »

George is the HSOP Heads Up Champion.
Roulette free since December 2011.
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

another story from my past , that sort of coincides with this thread.

a few years back now .

it had been a good day , around 130 up , it was around 7pm , in leicester town centre , where i walked myself into a fastfood chicken/kebab den ,,,,,, shortly after ordering my food , a family (two parents 3 kids) walks in and sits at a table , they were dressed shabbily at best , looked like they didn't have much , and then the conversation started on who was having what etc , the kids being kids wanted everything etc , but looking in mums purse , she announced that they could either have the £10 all singing all dancing mega bargain bucket family meal thingy, but would then have to walk home , or they could have 1 piece of chicken each , 2 drinks between em , and just about manage bus fare.

now obviously this pulled on my heart strings , and what with the fact ide had a good day , i was about to step up as the good samaritan and offer out of kindness to pay for their meal. so they could use their own cash for bus fare.

just at that moment the parents both did something that stopped me reaching the offer stage , ,,,,,,,, something that twisted my mood , to having nothing but contempt and disgrace for both parents .

???????

ill answer this later , if nobody gets it ,,,,,,,,,,,, but its a very easy one,,,,,,,,

the clue is in the fact that it was a few years back.
Little discipline = BIG issue

2 down for the melons

Post by 2 down for the melons »

Started smoking?
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

yup ,,,,,,, knew it was tooo easy ,,,,,,,, they both pulled out the ciggs ,,,,, ive nothing against people that smoke , (up to you , not for me though ) ,,,,,,, but when it comes at the expense of feeding your kids or smoking ,,,,,,,,,,,, disgusting .
Little discipline = BIG issue

JG

Post by JG »

Ob a few little points I'd like to make in addition to your posting. I would say that over the years the culture of 'playing' AWPs in our sense has blossomed BUT at all levels bar the important one of cash rich clueys. There is a massive subculture of semi players now. Players who don't make money in the sense we do, but are more savvied up than total muntlings/clueys call 'em what you will.

A couple of cases in point. In <<pub name edited>> an unchipped P5 was sited ufffft what going back about a year, so you know chip out for over 6 months, mostly dead and buriedsville.
Now prior to that, it was just a load of shit in <<pub name edited>> (Hov city centre pub) can't remember what, but I hadn't peeked in for a fair while, negligent maybe, but there you go.

Anyway this P5 got put in that I missed out on and the local 'players' got it. These are players who would jump on The unchipped **** that was in ******** when it had been sweded once a month by some random student. So it was properly there and they'd be looking puzzled when it wasn't picking. You know that's the level. They know about PAR, but only as they've rubbernecked it being done, they don't really know....

Anyway they obviously knew about P5 as, well, it was probably being sold on Ebay for £2 and word of mouth, Internet, phones blah blah
So they went in and from what I gather from witness accounts made it 'right proper on top' with a barring from the staff in tow. Christ knows what they did, maybe shouting "THIS EMPTIER IS F**KING AMAZING!!!" at the top of their voices, but they got barred from ******* which isn't/wasn't particularly firesome (it's a bit more now!).

Shame as they were the sort of players that'd get stitched up royally, probably not even know ***** etc and would go in to humpty and chuck a load in the box.

The point is, and David Mitchell of Peep Show fame has mentioned it on a panel game quiz show thing, probably hosted by Dara O'Boyle(!). The point is "There are people who go around winning money on fruit machines."
It's not an urban myth now, it's an urban reality and if it's carrying a refill key as a badge of pride or knowing GGG and nothing else, there's a whole culture of semi-players.
Yeah we're not all born with it, so true. I think the superiority complex tone of this all comes from it's not WHAT INFORMATION YOU HAVE it's HOW YOU BEHAVE WITH INFORMATION OBTAINED and telling the arcade manager that you can see up the tubes on TIJ and make a decision on whether to go for the streak based on the level and how far from audit day you are......well the person who told them about 'tubes' shouldn't have bothered. It's that straightforward.
So that's your 'Fruit Wannabee', potentially dangerous, knowing enough that they can leave games on their arse, but usually they'll just swede into stupidity soon enough. Plus those lovely roulette terminals usually catch out these wannabees. :o ops: :o ops: :o ops:

Another playing scourge is the 'Fruit dozer'. NOT to be confused with the 'swede out'/'brain out' to unashamedly steal the old East Anglian slanguage.

A brain out involves going up to a machine with a bankroll and playing it until bankrupt. There is a good chance that due to this act of stupidity, or carefully pre-planned session of buying fun NOT INVESTING, It's NOT AN INVESTMENT, IF YOU THINK IT'S AN INVESTMENT YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. Anyway chances are they'll leave it full and near enough 'there' to be worth playing. They'll also bump out the cashbox as an additional bonus, although the flipside, is that 5 packets of Mccoys later, you may still be there, waiting.

So. The fruit dozer. What 'orrible beast is this?

Let's picture an imaginary bowling alley. In that bowling alley is a £25 BtB, a £35 RtR, a £25 'dial' p3 obviously, a £35 chipped P5 and a £25 On a Roll. Then imagine the biggest gobshite possible. They got the skills, the know how, the blarney, or at least they think they have. The banker gets played out for a big COB/game, the RtR gets cycled until it throws a random £10/2nd level board in, the dial gets played until a big game, the P5 ditto and the On a Roll gets played out if it's proper red or throw the £5er or it gets milked if not.
End result is you get a pretty dead selection of machines. Reasonable aptitude for value, say the dial costs straight £80 for a £25 game, it's still there isn't it? Well let's say on the onset, it was £10 behind. That dial is still there, doesn't take a mathematical genius to work it out. May not necessarily be BOOOM! in your face there, it's low %, but there is value. These dozers will weedle it out, not in a dib dab dob nifty way but just go back in for it 'cos it should owe and they'll go in and in and in until it's just the cusp of two phoning and a real cusp not a delayed woopla reflex and BANG there's the £25 or MS and BOOM!!! Job's a good one, it's as good as chasing Ady's tail. Yeah I know Mark will say they left the whippedy whoopedy dah as they're not playing it out right but tbh dials are the exeption to the rule. It's low % may not even be a whippedy doopedy and even if there is it's well behind 72%, £25, take it or leave it.
As for the p5 the get the £35 box eventually it's fooked. Every board practically costs £10 to get on, so you need it DOND happy from the onset, ok rather depressing outlook, but it's a 70% P5 chipped, going in blind is only something you do when you 'feel lucky' or see muntage.
RtR I try the odd board on these I do admit, but it'll be a £1/£2 and dead on 2s 11s all the way. Extra zone, extra zone, cash to £2, spin out.
OAR is gash even with +6%, played out too much anyway. Red only means one free pot usually and it's 76% anyway, small potatoes if there, costly if not. Rip a quick penny falls but not with the gammy button, try the microscopically small rectangular button. £5 anyway isn't it? Even if it's £10, it's so far behind now you've got the £10, not worth going in for - milk it for one more £5 toggle? You decide.

Anyway, fact is these dozers don't have the best methods but do have reasonable to good knowledge of value. They'd make excellent card counters. They're quite happy to spend £200 killing a £25 AWP, but they will kill it at all costs. Even if it's dead to start with that's a challenge. Time to leave their calling card, their own super dead levels of deadness on the bandit.

That's the lesson for the day. It reminds me of that thread in the SWP forum about different SWP players, we should do a similar thread for AWP.
ok let me set everyone straight here...

It's a far more complex picture than pro/cluey nowadays, so any profit deserves heartfelt congratulations and it's gambling, not sexual intercourse or charitable work, so everyone's bloody miserable, don't worry about others being miserable. Seek solace from your selfish profit, hell you deserve it! Seriously, it's a right gauntlet that gets run nowadays, feel not a guilty thought. Just be glad you're still alive. Moving on.....

Oh errr, not had a peep at Rileys that recently but DISGUSTING that 86% B3s are surfacing by the sound of things. Captive audience really. probably aware of difference in % in some cases, but too lazy/greedy/indifferent to worry about paying an extra 6p every second!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think George had this idea some time ago, that if you ran a pub, put some flashing lights and a slot in the wall people would put money in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I did. A game seemingly so complex, it's not noticed for the con it really is until too late. A game that runs on 0% payout in a solid metal box. Lights flash, noises alert, mysterious patterns entice, complex rules baffle, intense melodies stilmulate, donkey's work toward the ever vanishing carrot. It's a game so evil, so vile in its construction that it's hugely addictive. It's called bonus 20p roulette on FOBT. No seriously, the idea was that drunken inquisitors would invest sheets into this indestructible box with no hope of return.

---------------------------------------------------
jg mate your a clever lad... u tried to play serious poker? i think you may have what it takes and im not joking. i know 3 poker pros who just read your thread and would like to meet you .. seriously.
----------------------------------------------------

Ah, it's kind of you to say that, but I think my pysche is a little non poker like. I'm too easy to ruffle and tilt just like that. I'm missing the cold steely imbalance. don't get me wrong I'm nerdish when it comes to ingesting poker books and I find the game interesting. I'm more profitable at stts then cash games and I love heads up stts, but only for low stakes. Scared money is dead money, so I never step above £50/game more like £5/game depending on who I'm playing and how well I feel I am playing/in control. No point knowing you're tilting, raising for information, ignoring it on a whim and calling all in with top pair at higher stakes.
I'm a lot more steely/disciplined with fruits, although had a nasty blip on a FOBT not too long ago. Out of character.
Also I'm a lot less eloquent in real life than on here. The written word comes more naturally to me than the spoken word unless I have a few drinks then I'm the same as on here but with more schlurring.

"there all laptopped up round mine by the way doing a little cheating on a cash game but hey ho "

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuft. I think this may have invoked the wrath of Poker Pete, but we'll see. Incidentally how efficient are the poker networks at detecting cheating/colluding? They certainly talk the talk (latest technology, sophisticated analysis, bankroll frozen) but do they walk the walk?

As for smoking in place of giving the kids the food they want. Not a rarity I'm sure and I'm also sure they were well versed in playing the violins like Kidgloves.
ob

Post by ob »

JG: yeh, I'm talking about the 95% of people who play machines that are just complete idiots...

God if I hear this one more time from a mug I'm liable to explode "You don't wanna play that one mate its shite, you wanna play that DOND"

NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NO FUCKING GASH DOND I HATE IT YOU SIMPLE MINDED FOOL...

AND YES I AM GOING TO WIN ON THIS, SO SHUTUP!
CrosbyRules

Post by CrosbyRules »

'these red gamings ones are shit, never give jackpot'
Unbelievable Jeff
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Cros: The amount of times I've heard that line. :) :) :)

"Yeah, er, the ones with the bells on are the nads, 'buoy'!"

"Those Red ones never give more than a fiver 'mate', I'm always swedeing it up!" Add a few carrots and some dumplings and you'll have a farmhouse stew in the HLS cash box!

Does go to show however, that we all 'know' how Reds work - but even though they are pretty much the simplest to work out for any half-assed player, the munters really struggle with 'em... ...which suits us down to the ground... ;)

PS: Don't play that Vortex in G-send (which replaced a Panther) for some reason she NEVER has more than £5 (yes, a fiver!) in the hop (proved by a colleague and experience!) I did get the £35 she owed me back yesterday, without getting a ban! The DOND BTB in there is exactly the same. £5 in for a COB which gave WS - £35. Paid out a £10, then £1 - Empty, £25 Still To Pay. So, worthwhile that then! :(
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

there's a guy in my block called ZYGMUND (admittedly i initially knocked on his door with some stray mail because he has such a great name.) anyway he is a polish fella, well over pensionable age who still does two jobs. i only ever see him at Church or if i'm coming back seven sheets to the wind when he has finished his cleaning job. it is frankly humiliating to see him, when i consider my lifestyle as an alcoholic wastrel compared to his of an overworked old man. he has the dignity of an elder statesman, whereas i am probably an obnoxious wideboy.
as i understand it, Zygmund has been in England for many years but although his English is pretty good he is too shy/humble/proud to reach out to anyone.
after a good day when i've done bugger all at work and made a wedge on silly parlour games, the Catholic guilt really kicks in.
nobody ever wins on those things.
anfield road

Post by anfield road »

I take mates out on the piss and do fruits with them and buy all the stuff!
justice For The 96
JG

Post by JG »

I enjoyed that posting Istenem. I particularly enjoy the reference to quiz machines as 'silly parlour games'. Unless of course you spend your days as a clownish charades hustler, not a(n) SWPist.
A friend of mine once described fruit machines as 'ephemeral thrill seeking soul destroying vacuous nonsense'. When he proceeded to confront me with the typical shortcomings of a 'professional gambler', I felt some agnostic guilt.
All I could muster in return was the musing that the initials 'AWP' were a much shorter, if less apt acronym to describe such machines.
CrosbyRules

Post by CrosbyRules »

anfield road wrote:I take mates out on the piss and do fruits with them and buy all the stuff!
ditto, if im on the piss and play something and win ill always get the drinks in
Unbelievable Jeff
alcozar

Post by alcozar »

Have to admit (even having a tenth or less of skills of some people here), the way i look at money and machines has changed over the last few years.

Before i may play hoping for a win at times when i knew absolutely nothing, now i expect it (due to knowing the odd bits and bobs) and it annoys me if it doesn't happen as it's already included in weekly spends in my mind.

I look at it as bonus income to normal weekly job, long may it last. :|