PhÂœnix - 36 DD (doubly difficult)

The famous fruit-chat quiz!
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Don't understand the King reference, but I'll take the victory.

1. UK
2. Norway
3. Burma
4. Austria
5. Peru
6. Egypt
7. Ghana...

What country is next in the sequence? And if you don't know that, what is the sequence all about?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

like a broken record:

yemen.

but knowing HE's bizarre fetish it will be some obscure question about most islands under jurisdiction.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

unknownpseudonym wrote:but knowing HE's bizarre fetish it will be some obscure question about most islands under jurisdiction.
In which case I'll go for Canada. ;)

BTW, the king reference in the first line of Pinocchio is just playing with the fact that apparantly the author thought that the line "Once upon a time there was a king" was the most common way to start a fairy tale.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Ah! How interesting. Thank you...

As for the country, you are both wrong. And this has nothing to do with islands for once.
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

The wealth of the monachy?
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

They're in order of time ... not a league table or anything.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Right. Another clue. The next one in the sequence will be South Korea, although it hasn't happened quite yet.
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Cardinal Richelieu wrote:The next one in the sequence will be South Korea, although it hasn't happened quite yet.
Countries that assist the US in the "War on Terror"? ;)
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Okay. Major clue - I should really have made the list...

1. British
2. Norwegian
3. Burmese
4. Austrian
5. Peruvian
6. Egyptian
7. Ghanan
8. South Korean
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Something to do with the UN? Oh hang on (slaps head) Kofi Annan is from Ghana, isn't he? Nationality of the UN General Secretary then (though I'm certain there's been a Swedish one as well).
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Bravo Weyland.

And my sincere apologies. I forgot to include the Swedish chap. So double bravos for getting it right.

Ever a source for amusing sounding names, the UN secretary generals:- Gladwyn Jebb, Trygve Lie, U Thant, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, and the latest chap, Ban Ki-Moon.

Anyway, over to you Weyland.
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Har, yes, Boutros Boutros-Ghali and The Fast Show bring back many happy memories. Do you think that's the primary qualification of canditure? "Must have an amusing sounding name." ;)

Anyway, slightly rude question: Who is Lawrence Sperry? It involves aircraft.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

The founding member of the Mile High club?
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Ah, I gave too much away. ;) Spot on.

Lawrence Sperry, inventor of the autopilot, is generally considered to be the first and founding member of the MHC. In November of 1916 he reportedly was engaged in sexual activity with a woman while he was flying in his Curtiss flying boat over Babylon, New York, when they crashed (non-fatally) into the water. His status as founder of the club is a retrospective honor derived from the fact that he is the first person reported to have engaged in aerial sexual activity, and from his association with the development of the autopilot at Sperry Corporation.

However, they crashed from an altitude of only 500 feet, so the term "mile high" is clearly a handy name, not an accurate description. Apparantly simply having it away 5,280 or more above sea level doesn't count either if you're not actually flying in a plane at the time.

Over to you sir...
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Ah. Surely the woman should also be one of the founding members.

Okay, slightly macabre question, but which famous British celebrity discovered the body of one of the Yorkshire Ripper's victims?