I get my kicks. ... on Phoenix no 26

The famous fruit-chat quiz!
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Ooookaaaay.... this has to be in either the USA or Australia presumably? One of the places where the settlers couldn't be bothered to make up new names anyway.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Wrong! Even the most remote parts of Australia, Russia or the USA aren't more than a few hundred miles away from the next remote part.

This place I'm thinking of is over 2,000km from the next nearest town / village (and it's not a space station or anything ridiculous like that).
JAC wrote:Ive tried cheating and i still cant find out
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

China?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

could it be some sort of research outpost away from the earth's surface, a space station or something?
nobody ever wins on those things.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Nope and nope.

Its full title is "Edinburgh of the 7 seas" which will give you an idea of its location.

It has around 7 families and 300 inhabitants and there have been people living there for the last few hundred years.
JustAnotherClone

Post by JustAnotherClone »

unknownpseudonym wrote:could it be some sort of research outpost away from the earth's surface, a space station or something?
cardinal richelieu wrote:This place I'm thinking of is over 2,000km from the next nearest town / village (and it's not a space station or anything ridiculous like that).
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Right, is this a proper, on-the-ground settlement, or is something like a bunch of boats lashed together floating out to sea somewhere?
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

It's a proper fixed settlement, and has been for the last couple o hundred years, except during the 1960s when there was a volcanic eruption and the entire population hopped on a ship to go to Britain.

Once the dust and ash had settled, they all hopped on a ship and went back.

If you hadn't guessed, it's a small island. Any philatelists out there will have heard of it, since the island makes a lot of its income from selling stamps.
darcle

Post by darcle »

Its a proper island. Its a volvanic island and only a strip of about 9 miles by 1 mile is inhabitable. Their main economy is Crawfish/Lobster.
darcle

Post by darcle »

The only way to reach the island is a 6 day boat trip from either of 2 different continents and you have to apply to the island's administrator months in advance to be allowed to visit.

Although they do these 1st cover stamps they only way to get the post is when the ships make visits with provisions and passengers about 22 times a year.
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Okay it's an island. At least 2000 KM from the coast (as you said that was the nearest settlement) and not in the Pacific. The seven seas bit kind of puts me off the Atlantic, so, Indian Ocean?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

wherever it is they must be very, very inbred.
do they, by chance, all have the same surname?

tierra del fuego is wrong on so many counts but that is my guess.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Hang on, it's not Pitcairn is it? Because that is in the Pacific. ;)
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

It was named after a Portugese explorer (i think)

It's definitely in the Atlantic, half-way between Africa and South America.

There are 7 surnames on the island, and yes, there is a hell of a lot of in-breeding.
darcle

Post by darcle »

As the cardinal seems to be otherwise engaged, no its not Pitcairn.

UP, yes they do have any of the 7 surnames of the founders plus there are a few ex-pats out there aswell. They dont really look that inbred though...well not from the pictures ive seen anyway!! :lol: