Ascot

Forum covering Horse Racing, Football and anything else you can do at the Betting Shop!
novice_27

Ascot

Post by novice_27 »

Hi all. Anyone have any decent wins today at ascot?.
You learn something new everyday!
itsme

Post by itsme »

only had 1 and that was One to follow - 12/1...

did you back owt ???
life is like a big shit sandwich - every day we take a bigger bite
novice_27

Post by novice_27 »

itsme wrote:only had 1 and that was One to follow - 12/1...

did you back owt ???
nice one. :) yeah had 1 myself, did £5 e/w on lightning strike.
nudgesuk

Post by nudgesuk »

all i can say is young mick,young mick,young mick 10/1 easy money i had him as asingle but doubled him with a horse that got done on the line wouldve netted me £108 bux as well but then used my profits to subsequently piss it into the roullette machines lol bloody things
itsme

Post by itsme »

i hate them little bastards,i dont mind going into the bookies for a bet,im a punter and if i loose i loose.what i dont like is the 'in between races',trying to pass time till the next race.although its only a few minutes,i seem to feed the roulette and the fruitys a few quid.

just keep trying and we'll hit the jackpot one day !!!
novice_27

Post by novice_27 »

i'm very new to betting on horses so wouldn't risk trying double bets quite yet!. Lol im still trying to get my head around a horses form!. Cant seem to find any decent sites that explain the abbreviations that i see in the paper for instants. E.G. What the does (T,P) after the horses name mean!? Or... (B), (BF), (V) :S
mjd

Post by mjd »

not too knowledged on all those terms either. I know BF is Beaten Favourite (in its last race it was the favourite and was beaten)
boom
nudgesuk

Post by nudgesuk »

(b) means its wearing blinkers (v) means its wearing visors
itsme

Post by itsme »

hope this helps you out :-

CD - course & distance winner
C - course
D - distance
T - tounge tie/strap
V - visor
B - blinkers
BF - beaten favourite
G - good (ground)
S - soft
F - firm
AW - all weather
R - refused
F - fell
U - unseated rider

this dash/hyphon - means the horse has had a lenghty lay off.

usually in the paper,the numbers on the far left is the number of the horse.next to it is the stall number,this is where its drawn.then the next set of numbers are the horses form e.g 342121.

to the right of the horses name there is a number in brackets,i think this is the amount of days since the horse last run.

also near the jockeys name you will see something like this :

4-9-11

this means the horse is a 4yr old
and its carrying 9st 11lb.

get picking some winners
mjd

Post by mjd »

Must say the big race today won by Hurricane Run was very very good to watch. Exciting finish!
boom
novice_27

Post by novice_27 »

itsme wrote:hope this helps you out :-

CD - course & distance winner
C - course
D - distance
T - tounge tie/strap
V - visor
B - blinkers
BF - beaten favourite
G - good (ground)
S - soft
F - firm
AW - all weather
R - refused
F - fell
U - unseated rider

this dash/hyphon - means the horse has had a lenghty lay off.

usually in the paper,the numbers on the far left is the number of the horse.next to it is the stall number,this is where its drawn.then the next set of numbers are the horses form e.g 342121.

to the right of the horses name there is a number in brackets,i think this is the amount of days since the horse last run.

also near the jockeys name you will see something like this :

4-9-11

this means the horse is a 4yr old
and its carrying 9st 11lb.

get picking some winners
many thanx to you for your post it has helped me out a great deal!. :) could i ask 1 more question. Its about the horses weight. If it has a bracket by it say... (3), does that mean its carry 3lbs less in the race?. & (3ex) is carrying 3lbs more weight?.
harry 3

Post by harry 3 »

The (3) or (5) or more indicated the allowance the jockey gets for being an apprentice. ie a jockey who only ridden a small amount of winners.

This is for jumps racing but the principal is the same for the flat.

the (3ex) is a penalty for winning a handicap. the horse is "put up three ponds" for winning until a new handicap is applied. This normally occurs when a horse runs again within 2 or 3 days from its previous run.

Jockeys Licensing

To compensate for their initial lack of experience and success in comparison to fully licenced jockeys, young jockeys at the beginning of their careers claim a weight allowance and ride as "apprentices" on the flat and as "conditionals" under National Hunt Rules.

Apprentices and conditionals are entitled to claim an allowance when riding against full professional jockeys. The allowances range from 7lb to 3lb depending on how many winners the jockey has ridden. Jockeys may ride as apprentices between the ages of 16 and 25, while the age limit for conditional is 26.

Apprentice’s claim 7lb until they have won 20 races: 5lb until they have won 50 races and 3lb until they have won 95 races.

Conditionals claim 7lb until they have won 20 races: 5lb until they have won 40 races and 3lb until they have won 75 races.

In races of a higher class and where prize money is greater apprentices and conditionals are unable to claim and ride at level weights with the full professional jockeys.
wozza

Post by wozza »

mjd wrote:Must say the big race today won by Hurricane Run was very very good to watch. Exciting finish!

not for me, i backed heart's cry :(