Pub Quiz

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

Properpro wrote:
JG wrote:There have been a few threads about them. Briefly, they appear to be just £35 jackpot machines in £70 wolf clothing. However before, if you got the top feature, you'd expect £35,£70 or £105, now it's £70-£105 in silly increments.
No hearsay of £70+repeat yet (may look for some GMs tomorrow!!!! for the craic, may not, depends how well it goes)
My personal best is £90 off a New Hope that was giving £12.xx cashpot off a fiver. Cost me £69.
Another worthy point is that on a couple of games, features that were good for £35 jackpot are now closely guarded, very well guarded. No quick rips for £70 yet!

As for Pub Quiz, as I learn the lower question set(s) some of the questions emerging are foul. Who carries around, in their brain, the exact birthdate of lib dem leader Charles Kennedy?
Next step, learn Nobel Peace Prizes, Star Signs, birthdays of prominent figures, politicians, singers, artists etc etc
So much information out there.

There was a lad at school who learned pi to 2000 decimal places. I'm not sure how relevant that is to this, diffferent mindset, but I had this book by Tony Buzan that had it all written down. You'd say...poker on now got to go,,,,
Stop whingeing, sort out your personal panic with new play/jackpots on AWP and allow the SWP players who really know what's going on to to take their money to the bank in peace. If you can't hack it don't complain. Pub Quiz has always been a licence to print money, it obviously just doesn't suit your talents. Surely this forum is about diverse skills, the attitude that says "I can't do it, so nobody can" is so wrong, why is there so much negativity about the unknown?
yeah,,, i didn't spot the satire either.
nobody ever wins on those things.
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Splurge(gun)-Bugsy Malone. Jodie Foster, Scott Baio. Only 34,999 more to memorise.
Roulette free since December 2011.
JG

Post by JG »

Be gentle with me, I took tonight off to lose lots of money on Q3, the ultimate Rock 'n Roll quiz. It falls short in many ways. Pretty front end, but that's about it. Again, that's only the opinion of someone not even worthy of MDS status. <whispers> Who honestly knows now, off the top of their head, how many Top 20 UK singles Genesis had in the '80s? Who? Honestly? Impressive if you do, but pssssst who, really?
I shall persist with Pub Quiz. I am now fully aware that Algeria is situated further North than Nigeria. I mistakenly used the mnenemnemeomic that (N)igeria was (N)orthern. MDSs everywhere would scoff at that error.
However that'll stand me in good stead and Charles Kennedy was born in 1959 which'll net me £1 at least.
Thanks for the inspirational words. I had reached a quizzer's block at 3,236 questions learnt, but shall now continue with aplomb.
Scopolamine patches were used in the D-Day landings so that the soldiers did not suffer from sea sickness. Is Scopolamine a tropane alkaloid? I'm not sure yet, that question is in the £3 very difficult science and nature set.
Fernsehen is the German word for television and means to 'see far'
Blimey is blasphemous and literally translates as 'Christ blind me!'

Right, show me the juice. Just off the cuff, Johnny Gould, what position did he play in for Coventry City football reserves? Hmmm?
No that won't do. Well tell me that, but also who is the drummer with Coldplay? What level is a 'storm' on the Beaufort scale? What star sign was Joe Strummer born under? Yeah? Tell me all those and you'll get 250 points for round one.

Bed time.

Jg edit: Actually it wasn't. I am gifted with the presence of a pub nearby. It's one of these 24 hour late opening pubs. I floated in, wearing my pyjamas and clutching a sweaty fifty pence piece. I'm on nodding terms with the barmaid who is average looking. I plopped my 50p into the Paragon Games Warehouse thing.

I tripped up on this question early in round three, I knew I should have used my cheat. "What, in Chemistry, is a Baryta?"

Well......what is it?

Proper bed time now.

I put money in. As I know Charles Kennedy's birthyear I get 31% of my money back.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

:lol:
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
JG

Post by JG »

I've noticed some excavations up Highfield Road area recently and some dodgy people lurking around the basements at The Ricoh Arena. I can only summise that some of you have been making desperate efforts to uncover old Coventry City FC reserve team souvenir program details to answer my posting.
I can now reveal that he was a goalkeeper. I think. It was a fair while back. If it's the million pound question just take the money, don't go crazy on my say so.

On a serious note, I acknowledge the skill required to achieve excellency in The Pub Quiz field and appreciate that the psyche required may not be for everyone who wants to win more than £1 from the Itbox.
So it's heartfelt congratulations from me. To celebrate these congratulations, here is a little story.

JG ambled into the Thicko's Arms. Arguably dangerous in itself, but not half as dangerous as what was planned. Inside the palm of his left hand were what looked like paperclips in the shape of picks, entagled with dental floss. Like someone had only had access to a medicine cabinet and stationary office prior to some great mountainous accent. In the palm of his right hand, enough money for a pint of Guinnes extra small.

"Yes mate."

"Pint of Guinness please. Extra small."

It was an ordinary pump. It was no ordinary pint glass. It was the size and shape of a thimble. A pint of Guinness forced its way into the thimble, the barman deftly defying any stouty drop from hitting the drip tray.

Down in one and inside of him JG could feel the thick stout expand to fill his stomach walls, the pressure building up inside of him, until it pushed so hard on his diaphragm.......

......to be continued (mate has phoned up)
j2k7311

Post by j2k7311 »

Hi, am new to all this, played pub quiz other day and managed £3 .. was so close to next step up. How is it possible to learn all these questions you are talking about (3000+) without losing a lot of money??
Apologies in advance for my ignorance!
JG

Post by JG »

I never finished my story. Basically I got very small, climbed up to the coin slot, slid in and had to help a load of other critters look up spoiler questions in minature encyclopedias because Quizmaster had just walked through the door. That was pretty much the plot. Throw in some bloops and bleeps and there was your story. Not 100% sure on the ending.

NOW.

Pub Quiz does have a 'free' board. This is where you find yourself pressing Wannabee as a hit for The Spice Girls at the £5 level. Be warned though, at the £10 level it's back to being asked about caseins and umlaut frequency. This is like a vamp it up landing on STREAK then SUPER STREAK and then multi add for VAMP IT UP. It's the free, ok?

If you got to £3 on a non buzzed PQ, then congratulations, you must know your Irish counties and Beano characters.

Also there are more like in the order of 30,000 questions, it's a deep stacked question game. If you're a moronic student, then this is too hard for you. I'm moronic, so I'm completely up the punt without a flagpole.

They've done the maths, if you can properly humpty this game, albeit a fair non 'You've just increased your points or landed in the conservatory for the sixth time today' game that asks very hard questions, you'll have probably invested a fair bit to get there, but I'm not even a low down Quiz boy, so now I must retreat back to the safety of the AWP forum.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Gak.

Thought I was the only gunslinger in town. Turns out I'm not.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
grecian

Post by grecian »

QuizMaster wrote:Gak.

Thought I was the only gunslinger in town. Turns out I'm not.
As a wise man once said to me, "there's always a faster gunslinger" - you'll get over it, QM.
jonw180

Post by jonw180 »

So is there a decrypted question file lurking anywhere on the Internet?
jonw180

Post by jonw180 »

Also This has voice activated searching: http://www.google.com/mobile/google-mobile-app/

Quick enough?

With a questions list it would be very easy to create a reliable mobile based search function.
j2k7311

Post by j2k7311 »

Good luck with that... :roll:
messiah

Re: newbie

Post by messiah »

j2k7311 wrote:Hi, am new to all this, played pub quiz other day and managed £3 .. was so close to next step up. How is it possible to learn all these questions you are talking about (3000+) without losing a lot of money??
Apologies in advance for my ignorance!
Everytime you have to use the help etc write down the question and the right answer. Then go away and learn it.
kong

Post by kong »

Old thread alert!

Played Pub Quiz last night on a Gamesnet. After the first round it awarded the bonus, so eyes left for "Add pass" and "Add cheat" - but no, sat there at the top left was "Cash prize £2.00" Didn't even know it could do that! Not seen a cash prize off a bonus on a quiz machine for years... Super.
Oh good, another Reflex.
cool

Post by cool »

things have taken a turn for the worse when we get excited over a two pound cash prize , however I felt a frisson of excitement after I picked up a 5p somebody had dropped on a pub carpet today so its not a critiscism of Kong just the current state of things!