Hex Maniac

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
ZAX

Hex Maniac

Post by ZAX »

Only found this on an Open so far. Same as Appeal but given a bit of a makeover ie more blood :roll: ...Took the easy money and went on something more lucrative- the only real differences appeared to be some new categories- Norse Gods, 80s TV, and the removal of some others- Steven King/Terry Pratchett books.

Sure somebody like Hexpert can give it a fuller exploration ie see if the prize structure is more reasonable.
kingzilla

Post by kingzilla »

You will find that King/Pratchett still there mate, but like you said it is just a update of Appeal.
inquizitor

Post by inquizitor »

I've seen it on a gamesnet.
steveseagull

Post by steveseagull »

Ive seen it on a gamesnet too.
No, the prize set up is just as tight, and (deep joy) you can now play pound a go with 'Bigger Prizes'
Hexpert

Post by Hexpert »

This isn't available anywhere local to me so have only played it twice on forays elsewhere.

Seems to be about 60% of the original categories on those initial plays
dmac

Post by dmac »

xyz
logopolis

Post by logopolis »

I actually found this more generous with the prize money than the original.
inquizitor

Post by inquizitor »

I also found it more generous the first couple of times we played it, but now it seems to have tightened up.
leamgem

Hex Maniac

Post by leamgem »

Have only seen this on GamesNet recently. The prize structure is similar to that of Appeal, with a £2 incremental progression on the £1 game version, basically your cash doubles due to the stake, so your first award will be £2 instead of £1 for the 50p game.

The graphics and sound are different, (although it does maintain some previous components), and it's much easier to spot when a cash prize is approaching as the square with the readies emanates a red glow just like the mystery column.

As for the categories, most seem to have remained, but they've simply added others to the mix including Rugby Teams, In The Park, At The Gym, Japanese Gods, Norse Gods, Celebrity Chefs, 70's Television, Hairstyles, Greek Alphabet to name but a few. However, once you've negotiated a path past these subjects, you are left with the usual Left Handed Actors, Cat Breeds, Egyptian Rulers, Computer Languages, Waterways and Inventors to tackle.

Having only played it sporadically for the last couple of months, the highest single cash prize I've seen has been £8, but the game pays out a fairly good amount in comparison to the stake - and so far, no glitches or spoilers....
steveseagull

Post by steveseagull »

PLAYER BEWARE! What a rip off.
Playing this tonight i was up to 2quid with the 3 only 2 arrows away followed by a mystery then 4quid immediately after. Happy days i thought, as i got to the 3 quid with complete answer and free letters still intact.
The screen went 'clunky' for a second and then, lo and behold, the mystery plus 4quid win were missing! Nothing but endless advances and after 4 more rounds of dodgy japanese gods etc i had to gve in. How can this be allowed? I have a mind to write to my MP, but he is as :evil: thick as shit
In Gustavo Augusto Poyet Dominguez we trust.
logopolis

Post by logopolis »

It actually missed out a letter on one of the answers. Category was Brand Names and the answer was obviously HOMEPRIDE but the answer on the screen was HOMEPRDE! As I guessed the final letter and filled in the answer correctly, I got the Game Over screen!! Even losing the £1 which I had already obtained!!
Cf

Post by Cf »

I love Hex, and am a big fan of Hex Maniac.

The only issue I have is that one or two slower machines can't keep up with the bonus round graphics, meaning you pretty much have to avoid the game on these machines.

If you're stuck on a word you also have slightly less time to spam letters due to the losing a life shatter effect.

Most of the new categories are quite good. The Gods ones seem nasty though, as does Sweeties - it looks like an easy topic but it's one I've struggled with quite a bit.

It would be nice if the spoiler categories weren't so horrible though. Although saying that they're a nice in your face way of the game informing you that it isn't in a good mood.
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

steveseagull wrote:PLAYER BEWARE! What a rip off.
Playing this tonight i was up to 2quid with the 3 only 2 arrows away followed by a mystery then 4quid immediately after. Happy days i thought, as i got to the 3 quid with complete answer and free letters still intact.
The screen went 'clunky' for a second and then, lo and behold, the mystery plus 4quid win were missing! Nothing but endless advances and after 4 more rounds of dodgy japanese gods etc i had to gve in. How can this be allowed? I have a mind to write to my MP, but he is as :evil: thick as shit
had that happen on hex appeal as well- you see mystery bonus one or two ahead, play the round, come back and it's gone! Blatant stuff.
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

steveseagull wrote:PLAYER BEWARE! What a rip off.
had that happen on hex appeal as well- you see mystery bonus one or two ahead, play the round, come back and it's gone! Blatant stuff.
ChpBully

Hex "Secret Help"

Post by ChpBully »

Does anyine know how the "secret help" Hex icon in the bottom right hand corner works? Most of the time it gives you free letters but I have seen it add lost lives. Would be great to work out how to do this at will!