Word Wise

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
roberto la vigna

Word Wise

Post by roberto la vigna »

Am beginning to enjoy that circular word thing on the Paragons.

There is a major problem with it, however: the money is set so high for the first few games (I estimate it takes at least 10 games of losing to bring it within reach) that it seems that any punters who have tried it have quite soon got demoralised and given up on it completely. I have seen very few full scoreboards - and it only takes 10 games played to do this!

The way it's been introduced appears to have been diametrically opposed to the other word games, which give away some easy wins to sow the seeds of addiction.

Added to the fact that the gameplay is not particularly intuitive and you have a recipe for underachievement.
JG

Post by JG »

Paragon, part of The Games Warehouse Group. Sorry to butt in at a slant, but I've noticed that all the recent video AWP incarnations of the Games Warehouse Team have started off in ultra dead mode. It's the old sow the seeds vs start taking for the operator right away question. Personally, without sitting on the security barrier too much, I think a happy medium is required.
cool

Post by cool »

gw is the tightest introducer of new games ever without a shadow of doubt.Its a case of waiting(if ever!) for the games to fill up.However there is a proliferation of them replacing the itboxes in many locations, however the gw team are fairer at least at the moment not replacing quality with the latest utter shite new game every 5 mins that the itboxes makers were prone to. I'm sure that the general public like the consoles with the odd new game say once every couple of months, they like to know that there is conformity of games between units and the games respond quickly to touch and smoothly. I be surprised if somebody would flounce off in a huff if the latest offering on itbox wasnt on gw.An interesting feature that I would develop if I was a manufacturer would be to develop a league table of swp game usuage and payout % (an equation between the two) over their entire network and remove the most poorly performing game at the end of each and replace it with a new game.Develop the league table and put it out on the machines. it would be interesting not just to anoraks like me.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

interesting Cool, the companies clearly have these data and they are available to trade people. i'd welcome some transparency too but for their own reasons the companies are tight-lipped.

as for word wheel: clearing it for the mighty prize of £0 put me right off.
i know this also happens on word soup but then that is still 50p well-spent.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

JG wrote:I think a happy medium is required.
Certainly, if you want your seance to be successful...
grecian

Post by grecian »

I'd agree with posters that there's definitely a happy medium between introducing games with nothing in them at all and introducing them with a very low-hanging fruit JP which will go within the first week to the first decent player to swing by. I'd also agree with Cool that Paragons are erring to much on the "no prizes" side of that line at the moment, although things like CP and WWTBAM on that platform have got visibly more generous since their installation, although are still tougher than their ItBox equivalents.

I think Paragon have been quite canny in which recent games they've added to the selection but at the same time there's a hell of a lot of historical dross on the backscreens which I would have thought could usefully be removed in nine cases out of ten. I'm not sure the problem with ItBox was replacements with "utter shite" - I think the problem was that a large number of games (all discussed ad nauseam on here) were installed with prize potential and most no doubt got caned pretty quickly by decent players, became moribund, stopped being played, and then got removed a couple of issues later. That said, the odd piece of turd has undeniably made it onto the ItBox.
dmac

Post by dmac »

xyz
wires74

Post by wires74 »

Sorry to be ignorant but what is CP ?
Properpro

Post by Properpro »

wires74 wrote:Sorry to be ignorant but what is CP ?

Part of an emerging conspiracy to reduce every post to a series of initials. :lol:
roberto la vigna

lol
wires74

Post by wires74 »

Thats answered my question then thanks :o
roberto la vigna

I think it means 'Caesar's Palace.'

I'm not entirely sure, tho' - I get similarly confused by all these acronyms
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

Cheesy Peas?
wires74

Post by wires74 »

Silly me ! Thanks for that
roberto la vigna

I'll set down a high-score marker for this: 1333.

Have got higher, but can't remember exactly what.