Questions from the Phoenix

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Northern Monkey

Questions from the Phoenix

Post by Northern Monkey »

Occassionally a question comes up and you get that self-satisfied feeling from knowing the answer only because its previously came up the Phoenix thread.

Today I had which berry has the latin name...? It was the Elderberry from the sambucca question we had a while back.

Have also had the which city's underground is the Clockwork orange? one in recent memory and countless others over the year.

Post your examples here. (If you can be arsed)
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Can't remember any off-hand, but it is very satisfying to read some obscure article about something on Wikipedia, then a question on that very subject appearing on a quiz machine.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Does anyone else get a ridiculous amount of satisfaction from winning a pile on the SWPs and then heading to a nearby bookshop and spending the winnings on books? I love the feeling of knowledge begetting knowledge.
DildoDez

Re: Questions from the Phoenix

Post by DildoDez »

Northern Monkey wrote:Have also had the which city's underground is the Clockwork orange?
Glasgow?
rogerthymes

Post by rogerthymes »

grecian wrote:Does anyone else get a ridiculous amount of satisfaction from winning a pile on the SWPs and then heading to a nearby bookshop and spending the winnings on books? I love the feeling of knowledge begetting knowledge.
I did it the other way round recently - went to Oxfam, bought a huge Children's Encyclopedia and got through the whole thing making notes on two days of train journeys/quizzing.
Although I often fear for my sanity these games have broadened my knowledge to a ludicrous extent.
MILTON

Post by MILTON »

I know a lot about the things I'm interested in (not just football... ). I read reference books but it won't stick unless I'm interested. I'm not going to memorise boring crap just to play quizzers.

Because of the way the Itboxes are playing at the moment, I've gone 10 days without withdrawing cash. Won't last I'm sure, but a nice feeling anyway.

To answer the original question: I pretty much know all the answers to one game now (not Itbox Soccer..) - entirely through repeated plays. It's usually enough to get me 3 quid, after which I hit the ridiculously small set of spoilers, which I can battle through infinitely with presumably (I give up through boredom) no chance of another pound.
MILTON

Post by MILTON »

One Q I've had a few times now:

Which TV presenter committed suicide after being convicted of shoplifting?

Never came across this before (and I have quite an interest in Celebrity Deaths). There are a few snippets about it on the intraweb but this person doesn't even make it onto wikipedia (sic).
cool

Post by cool »

lady isabell barnett / whats my line?
grecian

Post by grecian »

I think that's right - it's either her or Gilbert Harding, who I think also topped himself.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

i had one from the phœnix (and a cursory googling reveals few other sources)

in little voice what is LV's real name?

could be just coincidence
nobody ever wins on those things.
wigwamsun

Post by wigwamsun »

Laura, don't know if there was a surname
Well, I wrestled with
reality for years, Doctor.
And I'm happy to state
I finally won out over it.
wigwamsun

Post by wigwamsun »

Laura, don't know if there was a surname
Well, I wrestled with
reality for years, Doctor.
And I'm happy to state
I finally won out over it.
Northern Monkey

Post by Northern Monkey »

Got the "what was the profession of Abraham lincoln's assassin?" last night which was mentioned just that afternoon in Phoenix 60.
nw6

Post by nw6 »

What was unusual about Burnley's 1959/60 Championship winning season?
wires74

Post by wires74 »

only topped the table on the last day of the season