inaccurate questions/answerspub quizzes vs SWP

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Istenem

inaccurate questions/answerspub quizzes vs SWP

Post by Istenem »

if it weren't for the social aspect of pub quizzery :roll: i'd vote for SWP every time.

anyway, we've all had a good old moan about SWP questions which are inaccurate/misleading but taking a step back they are relatively very few. how many thousands of questions do you answer before noticing a troll?

anyway in this pub quiz league i've been doing with some dear old friends we were recently asked the old chestnut "which animal can't jump?"
despite knowing what answer they wanted, we decided to have some sport and put 'slug' as the answer but the stubborn old buzzard reading it out wasn't having any of that.
this was a calculated gamble but then we had to answer the top five island nations. now i'm not a genius but i would have said greenland and australia are bigger than cuba and iceland ffs. :roll:
nobody ever wins on those things.
ggdr

Post by ggdr »

I was at a pub quiz recently where the following cracker came up:

In equestrianism, what are the elements of the three-day event?

The answer given was dressage, show jumping... and the three-day event. I asked the quizmistress to confirm this, and then (somewhat arsily I admit) asked if that meant the thing stretched over five days. She then looked at me as if I was Stupido McSimpleton and gave the withering reply "No, coz it's a THREE-DAY EVENT." It was impossible to argue with her after this.
fotherz

Re: inaccurate questions/answerspub quizzes vs SWP

Post by fotherz »

unknownpseudonym wrote:"which animal can't jump?"
White Men?
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

crocodile probably.
Northern Monkey

Post by Northern Monkey »

crocs are extremely agile particularly if th chicken from the other thread is dangled on a hook above them
theoak

Post by theoak »

can a sloth jump? cant picture it.
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

elephant then.. probably break it's legs trying.
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

ggdr wrote:The answer given was dressage, show jumping... and the three-day event..
Good luck on trying to explain how unsuitable a recursive answer is. Technically, unless the first two events lasted for no time, or indeed involved time travel of some sorts the event would continue infinitely.
Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs »

blackmogu wrote:elephant then.. probably break it's legs trying.
elephant - seconded
you don’t just jump into bed with Terry Tibbs, you take Terry Tibbs out to lunch, you wine and dine him, you give him an oil massage then he gives you 1950 if you’re lucky!
grecian

Post by grecian »

unknownpseudonym wrote:if it weren't for the social aspect of pub quizzery :roll: i'd vote for SWP every time.

anyway, we've all had a good old moan about SWP questions which are inaccurate/misleading but taking a step back they are relatively very few. how many thousands of questions do you answer before noticing a troll?

anyway in this pub quiz league i've been doing with some dear old friends we were recently asked the old chestnut "which animal can't jump?"
despite knowing what answer they wanted, we decided to have some sport and put 'slug' as the answer but the stubborn old buzzard reading it out wasn't having any of that.
this was a calculated gamble but then we had to answer the top five island nations. now i'm not a genius but i would have said greenland and australia are bigger than cuba and iceland ffs. :roll:
I think SWPs aren't bad on the accuracy score, but if truth be told I rarely question the questions I'm given as I've seen so many of them before. Every so often I'll press an answer which is given as correct and then think "hang on, that question was totally wrong". Pub quizzes vary a lot - again, normally it's a case of having a feeling of what the "percentage play" is despite the fact you know the questions tendentious. Never any point arguing though: there are few more obstinate than pub QMs in my opinion.

As for island nations, I don't think Greenland would be acceptable as it's not a sovereign state, which is how I would normally interpret "nation" in a pub quiz setting (otherwise you couldn't accept the United Kingdom as an answer for example, as it's not one nation but four). Australia is always debated in this context: some say it's an island, some say a continental land mass. More often than not, it's not included in largest island lists so on that basis I think I might have avoided it for this question. It's a dodgy question, though: what about nations consisting of many islands? Indonesia comes to mind immediately. I'd be tempted with United Kingdom, Taiwan and Madagascar as the three other answers given though. Amazed Iceland's bigger than everything in the Caribbean.

Which quiz league were you doing, UP?
theoak

Post by theoak »

Not suprised at all about iceland vs the carribean. So sloths CAN jump them? what would it take to make a sloth jump? reckon an air horn would do it? Also, surely UK technically shares a land mass with another country?
grecian

Post by grecian »

theoak wrote:UK technically shares a land mass with another country?
True, true. Ok, scrub UK from the list then! Maybe Jamaica after Iceland, if we're limiting it to "single sovereign states confined entirely to one non-continental land mass island"? ;-)
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

iirc the answers he wanted were
indonesia
cuba
png
iceland
and philippines
actually nz was in there too i think. :?

anyway, it strikes me as a pretty arbitrary list
and the animal they want is an elephant but it is clearly not the only one, just the only one which is on their card.
nobody ever wins on those things.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Well, Papua New Guinea shares its island with Indonesia, so on that basis UK should be in there ahead of Iceland (and Cuba, I'd have thought). As you say, a very arbitrary selection, although my guesses were pretty poor!
dm

Post by dm »

unknownpseudonym wrote:if it weren't for the social aspect of pub quizzery :roll: i'd vote for SWP every time.

I noticed some folk were hammering on about mistakes in Itbox Soccer, personally I am surprised at how few there are. One which pees me off is GLENN HODDLE being spelt as GLEN HODDLE in a few different cats. in which really messes you up aren't expecting it