Toss the Monkey

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
q-time

Toss the Monkey

Post by q-time »

This, along with a raft of new titles, has just appeared on one of my local Gamesnet machines.

Does anyone know the ideal angle at which to throw that wretched simian?

QT
ggdr

Post by ggdr »

This is the game I couldn't remember the name of in a previous post. My 50p gave me about 15 throws, and I didn't manage anything better than 78m, with probably 10 or so of the throws going nowhere. If my love of athletics has taught me anything it's that 45-60 degrees is a sound angle of tossing trajectory. When it comes to release, my problem came when I realised that the longer you waited to throw, the faster the gorilla (?) span, presumably upping your distance. Problem was that even with a few wild stabs, I never managed to nail one. A tiny bit like Caveman Capers but with a pesky third dimension.

Reviewing this post I see there's more innuendo than you could shake a baby's arm at, but there you go.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Reviewing this post I see there's more innuendo than you could shake a baby's arm at, but there you go.
...And I wouldn't have spotted any of it at all, had you not put it to attention. (Heh!) :lol:
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
theoak

Post by theoak »

never seen it, never played it, but yeah 45 degrees sounds about right if comparing to athletics games I've played in the past. Tend to be a combo of holding out as long as you can and still getting the exact trajectory!
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Hmmmmm. I'm not so sure.....

In Daley Thompson's Decathlon on the Spectrum Rubber Keys, when participating in the throwing events, an angle of arond 30 - 45 degrees was the optimum angle.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

i haven't seen the game but i'd suggest you are deluding yourselves if you think the angle of trajectory is anything but coincidental to the game's potential munificence. i'd be very pleased if i am wrong.
nobody ever wins on those things.
theoak

Post by theoak »

Cardinal Richelieu wrote:Hmmmmm. I'm not so sure.....

In Daley Thompson's Decathlon on the Spectrum Rubber Keys, when participating in the throwing events, an angle of arond 30 - 45 degrees was the optimum angle.
what a game! I seem to remember it was over two tapes and I only ever played one of them. Whether that was because it had all the evnets I liked, or just cos the other one didnt work I dont remember :(

45degrees though like i said!
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Sadly the rubber-keys were wholly inadequate for the frantic button-pressing frenzy required for most of the disciplines. I managed to break at least one joystick playing this game.

Back to this monkey spanking game (which I've not seen either)... however, I'd have thought that the angle ot trajectory would have been very important indeed - and possibly would determine whether you won money or not... after all, if you got the timing just right in CC, you achieved 206 odds. .... but if you were even a few milliseconds out, your distance would be greatly reduced.
Chronix

Post by Chronix »

Really nice looking game, love the animations.

Impossible to play however.... i've not yet seen anyone play it who can consistently hit for more than a couple of hits in a row.

Get a lot of gametime for your money though, but I've also never seen a prize appear on the trail!!
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

I encountered this game for the first time tonight. It is a lot harder to hit consistently than CC, but my years of playing fruit machines was certainly good training for hitting the "skill stop" and not flinging your monkey into the side or the camera.

Unfortunately, on both shots I was offered 9 shots and the £1 was up at the 1400 mark. If I had achieved my highest score with every shot, I would have fallen short. Judging by the existing scores, I was the first player, which means it expects to take some money before doling any out.

So absolutely useless in terms of profit, but at least the high score table is a bit more meaningful than CC.

My highest score was 141ish... anyone got any better?
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

45 degrees
8 rotations
152m
:D
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Bollocks.

Looks like I'll need to have another game of this now.
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

I'm not sure we know the exact air resistance on a tumbling monkey, so one may assume the programmers have not gone into great depth applying the physics.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

better tip off animal protection
roberto la vigna

Post by roberto la vigna »

Ernest W. Quality wrote:I'm not sure we know the exact air resistance on a tumbling monkey.
Do I spy a post-doc project for you, Ernest?