Are there any games that haven't been fiddled?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Vidmar

Are there any games that haven't been fiddled?

Post by Vidmar »

The red eye bonus on Pyramids is now non-existant, meaning achieving a high score in the old sense is almost imposible. Pop-It sees the 'wobble' when you are trying to move certain blobs, costing you time and more often than not a 'frozen' blob exactly where you were trying to move. Turbo 21's simply gives you 3 or 4 aces in a row if you are doing too well - a tactic immune to the camera phone trick. Millionaire chucks in extra questions.

Seriously, is there any skill to any game these days?
"Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase"
SWP

Post by SWP »

Sorry, don't understand your point "Millionaire chucks in extra questions."

What sort of questions? Stoppers, self-generated or just extra questions per level?

Surely dealing with these 'extra' questions could be regarded as skill?
Vidmar

Post by Vidmar »

step7 wrote:Sorry, don't understand your point "Millionaire chucks in extra questions."

What sort of questions? Stoppers, self-generated or just extra questions per level?

Surely dealing with these 'extra' questions could be regarded as skill?
"You could be just 15 questions away from a big money jackpot!!..... Unless you're doing too well in which case when you get to about £64,000 you'll have to answer an extra couple of questions to get up to £125,000!! Yes it destroys the very notion of the game but we're outwith the gaming regulations so f**k you!".

An alternative and more accurate spiel for Tarrant on the 2007 version.
"Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase"
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Heh - remember that on 'Matrix' - get to the level one before JP, and you'd have to answer 3 questions for each '?' you hit. On millionaire though, saying you are just 15 q's away from Jp is a bit of a liberty, surely!?!

:)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
mjd

Post by mjd »

Id love to see the eggheads gather round a machine.. that would be funny!
boom
SWP

Post by SWP »

Matt:
"saying you are just 15 q's away from Jp is a bit of a liberty"

you COULD be just 15 q's :wink:

If you seriously feel that bitter about these games don't play them. Maybe the manufacturers will listen - I doubt as there's enough punters amongst the 'general' public (as opposed to us die-hards) to keep the coins rolling in.

Maybe AWP is the place to go if your’re in it for the money? I'm personally happy walking away even or with the tiniest of profits having played a few so-so SWP games while I drink my pint(s) - can't say I've had the same experience on AWP though.

On the Egg-Head front can't someone (maybe industry bod) issue a challenge? I know I'd like to see it - maybe it would be good publicity (or maybe NOT when the spoilers strike 8) )
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Ah, very true... ...Nice little loop-hole there! ;)

I'm happy just playing the games, I rarely make a profit on them, just enjoy the experience, and the chance to make the odd quid thrown in.

I'm not 'Bitter' (I think you're referring to the original poster...)

:)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
SWP

Post by SWP »

..But if the cap ffits..

Bear in mind you are dining on crumbs!
Nil Satis

Re: Are there any games that haven't been fiddled?

Post by Nil Satis »

Vidmar wrote:Millionaire chucks in extra questions.
Classic Millionaire has always had extra questions but the number of these is set according to the level of the guaranteed prize, e.g. in the best commonly available setting with £3 at 32,000 points, you need to answer two questions to get from 125,000 to 250,000 and then again for the two levels above that. This might be seen as 'unfair' but I've never really viewed it as a problem.

The problems with the new Millionaire 2006 game are much worse, namely the very early spoilers (questions that no one could hope to know) and the misleading bonuses - they give you the wrong answer too often for there to be any point in using them other than the 50/50.
SWP

Post by SWP »

Nils are you saying they give wrong answers more often than the right ones?
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

It's hard to quantify the two aspects that are key here - (1) What percentage of suggested answers on both Phone a Friend and Ask the Audience are wrong? and (2) What is your tolerance threshold for this? i.e. would you want say 50% of the suggested answers to be right before trusting these bonuses?

There may be a reasonably mathematical way to estimate the probability of any suggested answer being right, based on the "percentage by which I'm sure of the answer" which the Phone a Friend supplies or the percentage of the highest bar on the Ask the Audience graph but you'd need to play a lot of games and to record the success rate of each bonus to work that out.

My own subjective view is that these two bonuses have become a lot less trustworthy than on classic Millionaire, to the point where you may as well make a random guess rather than use them. The four bars on the Ask the Audience graph all seem to cluster around the 25% mark much more than was the case before and the Phone a Friend bonus has at a guess given the wrong answer on more than half the occasions I've used it.

50/50 is still as useful as before - nothing has (or really could) change there.

If there were any defenders of Millionaire 2006 out there (I'm not holding my breath!) they would no doubt point out that all the old Phone a Friend bonus does on classic Millionaire is to give you more time to think, and they'd be right, but I only ever use that one on 'mathematical' questions anyway as with facts I usually know something virtually straight away or not at all so the extra time rarely helps. Having this new bonus, which seems to me to suggest the wrong answer more often than the right one, is just one reason why the Millionaire 2006 game is so disappointing.

OK, it's not the worst game around (after a few more goes recently I'd say that award might well have to go to Mike Read's Pop Quiz!) but it could have been SO much better.

Hope this helps.