Quiz Machine Helpers

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
s34n

Quiz Machine Helpers

Post by s34n »

does anybody know of any other helpers??

----

I have quickly whipped up a client-side "Pints for Prizes" helper with C#
http://www.tutorialgenius.co.uk/PintsHelper.zip

it uses dictionary files (which i have the values, but need formatting)
you choose a category from the drop down list, then give the length of the word:

Example: (Nobel Prize Winner)
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

input category: Nobel prize Winners
input length of: 14

* then you may wish to guess some letters, say vowels: E and A.

Display:
[ ][ ][A][ ][ ][E][ ] [ ][A][ ][ ][A][ ][E]

input into program: ##A##E# #A##A#E

itll then search the dictionaries for a match using # as a wildcard char

results: Charles Babbage

----

I need to add some extra features, then i will port to mobile devices and PDAs... it will be designed to support quick data entry. It may work better with HEX APPEAL where there is more time available

i will update on the status
dm

Re: Quiz Machine Helpers

Post by dm »

s34n wrote:does anybody know of any other helpers??
Some will say you'd get a kicking for using a pda while playing quizzers, but really who in wetherspoons would give a shit

I put answers into a Hangman PC game for Itbox Soccer. The real problem is there's not much point in doing it for games where the prize structure isn't visible from the start (i.e. most of them these days). You might scrape an extra quid here or there but if it doesn't want to pay it won't no matter how far you get.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Weird. Where do you chaps get the data files from, that's what I want to know? And given the prizes on Itbox Soccer (say) for a player even of dmac's ability, why bother.
SWP

Post by SWP »

Weird. Where do you chaps get the data files from, that's what I want to know?
Sounds like s34n is using general data (random list(s)), dmac just plays too much/knows far too much about soccer :P

I don't think anyone will come clean on an open fourm and state they are getting the data direct from the "developers" if that's what you're asking :lol:
And given the prizes on Itbox Soccer (say) for a player even of dmac's ability, why bother.
Agreed, although a 'fan' of Hex, the payouts are abysmal - even if a player were to be able to play for 1/2 half-an-hour in single game it would only only extend the prize from £1 to £3 :(

Did I mention dmac knows too much about soccer? :lol:
s34n

Post by s34n »

yeh i have never had more than £3 on hex either!

im building lists from wikipedia, others sites etc... general topics like 'rivers' may be tricky to list all possibilities. i could save complete phrase until the harder categories and build a manual list- which the help of others they would repeat soon

im going to try tomorrow, ill mobile it up in the morning
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

Has been done before for Hex at least, probably others.

For Chinese menu, one of the answers is "CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO MENU" which, with a bit of competent google-based sleuthing should reveal the menu webpage of the Northern Chinese takeaway they pinched the list from.

As the others said, the financial rewards will be effectively less than minimum wage even with perfect play, after the initial few pounds are nabbed.
Northern Monkey

Post by Northern Monkey »

Cecil X. Bandwagon wrote:
For Chinese menu, one of the answers is "CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO MENU" which, with a bit of competent google-based sleuthing should reveal the menu webpage of the Northern Chinese takeaway they pinched the list from.
The Chinese ones are always easy though- some combination of fried, king prawn or chicken, rice or noodles, sauce. :)
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

Northern Monkey wrote:
Cecil X. Bandwagon wrote:
The Chinese ones are always easy though- some combination of fried, king prawn or chicken, rice or noodles, sauce. :)
I disagree. I find that the spelling they use for some of the more obscure dishes usually bears little or no resemblance to the spelling of the dishes as Ive known them. And I reckon that's done on porpoise.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

And I will say that (probably more in Indian Restaurants) on every take away menu I 'read', they spell things their own way anyway!

Naan
Nan

Saag
Sag

(Indian examples, of course!)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
s34n

Post by s34n »

yeh indian is hard... the one on the chinese menu that gets me is "special" or "capital"
ROSSKEEN

Post by ROSSKEEN »

[quote="&quot"]

Ah the old Blackcastle chinese in Navan. Love it.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Do you mean this one?

http://www.e-navan.com/mandarin/

Blimey - it must be the cheapest Chinese restaurant in the world!

:wink:
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

Yes but more specifically this page:

http://www.e-navan.com/blackcastlechinese/
dangerous

Post by dangerous »

So how come I've never seen this one

Dinner Box 3 pc Breast with Curry, Gravy or Barbecue Sauce
(1 piece Breast of Chicken £1.70)
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »