Now that's what I call a big win

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
grecian

Now that's what I call a big win

Post by grecian »

Some photographic evidence of a recent escapade of David Brewis (whom you'll remember from his newspaper coverage when he won £10k on Big Match).

Essentially he worked out how to take £20 out of Big Match World Cup, game after game. No special magic really - he just gradually learnt about 98% of the questions and could do all the bonus games with no difficulty. With careful tactics that was enough to take the £20 even on the game's toughest mode (it takes him about 20 minutes to JP it on tough mode).

When BMWC was on all the GamesNets he would travel about London never taking more than about £80 out of any one pub, and never getting challenged anywhere. (A few of the pubs have since got rid of their GamesNets I understand.)

When BMWC was taken off about a month ago he went to one last venue which still had it and spent the best part of a full day there, winning £539 as you can see in the photo (not sure what the £9 relates to!) The machine paid out about £180 and he claimed the rest off GamesNet - after quibbling it they paid up in the end. The cheque's now cleared, so he's kindly allowed me to post some photos.

He thinks he's taken about £10k since January from BMWC which is about the same as he had off Big Match.

Nice work if you can get it.
Attachments
22052007007_586.jpg
22052007008_194.jpg
cool

Post by cool »

If the tale is true it confirms what I think about the Brewises.
wires74

Post by wires74 »

bit of an ego this fella seems to love telling the world his business
bigv038

Post by bigv038 »

good stuff, id probably tell people if it were me. its impressive!
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

This man is a publicity seeking twat.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
harry 3

Post by harry 3 »

I know someone who did the same on a smaller scale some time ago with Give Us A Break. For the uninitiated it was one of the first quiz games on the market, 50p play £10 jackpot. You had to achieve a certain score to reach different payout levels (nothing much different to today). You started with a basic red ball question for one point and if you were successful you could pick a colour (as in snooker) yellow was easy up to very difficult for black. After five reds you would go though the colours ygbbp&b. Maximum score was 67. There were only about 200 black ball questions on the machine and it took less than a week to remember the answers. The machine was easily emptied but most only had about £20 in them. There were 4 pubs in Reading at the time with the machines in and there was just one other punter doing them, so it was a race in the morning to get there first. It didn't take long for the landlords to cotton on as the machines were always low on takings, so a trip to Blackpool was organised. By now there were three of us with the knowledge to do them. Went to Blackpool for the week and there was hundreds of the machines. We won enough in the week to stay in a four star hotel but pissed most of the winnings up the wall or lost it on the horses. Soon after they started
swapping the modules with new and more questions on and speeding up the time you had to answer in so making it nearly impossible to win on, but it was a right craic for a few months.
cool

Post by cool »

quizmaster talks my language. I may or may not deserved my life ban for winning £20 . If that idiot (brewis)got a beating after his win I would have been on the landlords side!
quizard

Post by quizard »

Is he on a mission to get himself barred from as many pubs as possible? And trying to encourage games makers to make games even more psuedo skill than they are now?

This type of stunt has always been possible on emptyable machines but that doesn't mean it is a good idea to do it. Apart from drawing what should be unwanted attention to himself it really doesn't do anyone else any favours.
Dolan

Post by Dolan »

Why should he do anyone else any favours?

I say good for him.
quizard

Post by quizard »

What, if you have a Golden Goose you just try and kill it for yourself and everyone else? Really good idea :roll:
wires74

Post by wires74 »

PRICK WITH EARS comes to mind !
rogerthymes

Post by rogerthymes »

Idiotic, and absolutley short termist. Why ruin an esy source of money? And why publicise it? Embarrassing.
cool

Post by cool »

I would be interested if grecian will supply the actual location of the site where it 'happened'. To make a net profit of £539 at twenty minutes per game and assuming he attained the jackpot every time (28 in total) it would take over 9hrs of play excluding toilet breaks and buying A coke. My advice to manufacturers is to build software to make the machine enter sleeper mode if a jackpot is attained twice within a prescribed period or better still disable that game to prevent further play.I think this is a rare occasion where the manufacturer receives sympathy not criticism.
quizard

Post by quizard »

cool wrote:I think this is a rare occasion where the manufacturer receives sympathy not criticism.
Well I wouldn't go as far as to say that Cool :lol:
Dolan

Post by Dolan »

you lot all sound very jealous about this.
Just be big enough to congratulate the guy. Jeez.