What are people playing these days?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
SWP

What are people playing these days?

Post by SWP »

Just curious what people are playing in these (IMHO) slumpish times.

My regulars (can't use the word favourites) in order of play-time are:
Pub Quiz
Hex
DOND
WU
Millionaire
Bullseye
dm

Post by dm »

mainly Itbox Soccer & Shoot for the Stars because I have most of the answers for both. Hex & Cryptic Clues if I get bored and the odd game of Word Up, but the machines are all fucked down here. I quite enjoy Scrabble game on Paragon? (the ones they have in Walkabouts). It's quite addictive, but I still cant really work out whats going on.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

dmac07 wrote:mainly Itbox Soccer & Shoot for the Stars because I have most of the answers for both. Hex & Cryptic Clues if I get bored and the odd game of Word Up, but the machines are all fucked down here. I quite enjoy Scrabble game on Paragon? (the ones they have in Walkabouts). It's quite addictive, but I still cant really work out whats going on.
hi Dmac, i've seen your name on top of every IS within 5 miles.

on the scrabble game there is a tribute to me on one of the board layouts.

i'm largely only playing paragons/ind:e for the moment.

PMP
WU(original wordlist)
C&R
MIAB
well most of the games but not DOND unless i've won everything else
nobody ever wins on those things.
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

Itbox soccer is fun but takes too long and requires too much effort for the prizes involved. Our record score is about 51000 I think.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Hi DMAC. Are you another central London player then? Join the club. There's about four of us who play regularly between Ludgate Circus and Trafalgar Square alone, so the yields are pretty tight. I'll play any of the cabinets, apart from the really rank Paragon selection where Quids for Grids is the highlight. ItBox is probably my favourite at the moment, but only since they took Big Match World Cup off the GamesNets. On any given cabinet I'll play 50 - 70 per cent of the games: at the moment I'm playing a lot of Every Loser Wins, Deals on Wheels, Tetris, DOND, and 1 v 100 on the ItBox; plus Ant and Dec and Caveman Capers on the GamesNet. On the other cabinets (I always get confused / don't care as to which is which) I play a lot of Trivia for Dummies (one of my favourite games for a long while) and Allstars (RIP on the ItBox, sadly). There's a few games like Cops and Robbers and Pints Make Prizes which I'll always play but rarely win much on - more fool me etc. etc.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Deal or No Deal
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Deal or No Deal
Agreed! At first, I was only happy when the cash game was offered around the 20000-25000 mark, but have recently been nailing them from 40000+. Anything over 50000 though, and it's usually an uphill struggle.
Best ever result was a £10 win (the win contained in the box I'd 'chosen') when the cash game was down at 12000!

Has anyone muntered through a series of DOND attempts and tried to work out if there's a pattern within how the cash game target fluctuates? The only real pattern I've noticed, is that if it starts off low-ish and you fail to reach the end game, the next target is usually higher.

I've had sequences similar to:

My fault for not nailing it on the 25000 I guess... :(

I will generally only play other games 'for a bit of fun'; usually:

-Bully
-Cops 'n' Robbers
-Hangman (both III and HH)
-Cluedo

Never won anything substantial off of these (with the exception of a £13 spot prize from Hangman II, which I agree, I haven't included above!) but the odd £2 from Bully, £3 or £4 from Hangman and perhaps a flukey £1 or £2 from Cluedo or CnR is usually sufficient to allow me time to finish my pint and still be in profit! ;)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
dm

Post by dm »

grecian wrote:Hi DMAC. Are you another central London player then? Join the club. There's about four of us who play regularly between Ludgate Circus and Trafalgar Square alone, so the yields are pretty tight.
I work in central London and live in West Hampstead. I reckon I've played on virtually every Itbox in zones 1 and 2 (sad bastard I know). Go for a game/pint or two most nights.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

The Miserable Old Git reports:

I'm playing virtually nothing these days. The weekend was I think the final straw - two separate trips to two separate towns, the first of which was Milton Keynes (ItBox Central) on Friday night and there was NOTHING worth playing in 8 different pubs, then Monday night in my home town where there are 6 Gamesnets but since Big Match World Cup went and Caveman Capers has been 'done' everywhere even those are a waste of time.

I'll still call in here from time to time to read the comments and be entertained by you guys but I'll be posting less and less (which I know will be a relief to some of you!). The trend I identified 18 months or so ago of fewer and fewer games being worth crossing a pub for has really come to fruition and I just can't summon up the enthusiasm any more to spend 4 or 5 hours to win £20 (if you are lucky). I'll keep visiting my very select list of the remnants of better times and then when those go I'll just fade gently away.

As Big Chris would say, "It's been emotional."
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

P.S. As I won't make it now, I can ask the question that has puzzled me for ages - How DO you get to Seven Lightbulbs??

:wink:
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Aw, don't go, always an enjoyable read! :) :) :)

To attain the heady-heights of 7-stardom, I think you need to make another 49 posts! ;)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
grecian

Post by grecian »

QuizMaster wrote:Deal or No Deal
How do you square that with your comments at http://www.fruitchat.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=20 about not playing DOND then, QM? ;-)
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Matt Vinyl wrote:Aw, don't go, always an enjoyable read! :) :) :)

To attain the heady-heights of 7-stardom, I think you need to make another 49 posts! ]

49 posts eh? That is tempting, given that I have heard rumours of the wondrous delights that await the Seven-Starred...

I would like to carry on posting and I have always tried to be honest and constructive but the sad fact is there is only so many ways I can find to say "Everything is crap". Nobody has been a bigger enthusiast than me down the years for these bloody games and very few have played them for longer but the last game I got any excitement or pleasure from was Caveman Capers and even that has all but gone the way of the real cavemen now (unless you come from Chorley).

grecian wrote:
QuizMaster wrote:Deal or No Deal
How do you square that with your comments at http://www.fruitchat.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=20 about not playing DOND then, QM? ]

To pick up on the theme of the Word Up tournament, the answer is that he is a

NATISFSTA

There - only 48 more posts to go now...
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

That's weird, I'm certain I was on six stars yesterday. I didn't post over 120 yesterday, did I? ;)
coldradiohead

Post by coldradiohead »

BATTLESHIPS THE LATEST ONE

You carnt lose with my super technique