multiplayer games

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Istenem

multiplayer games

Post by Istenem »

not that rubbish battleshits thing or the ephemeral pool game but games where it is beneficial to have a crowd of a few people. are there any?

i never look for it but i think STD has vanished altogether and things like ISPY are ebbing away, occasionally i meet with casual players who know i'm 1/2 decent at it and expect to make a few quid for drinks but what to play?
wwtbam? too boring
hex? not gonna win much
bullseye? too many arguments
WU? no
hangman? maybe

:? :
nobody ever wins on those things.
CrosbyRules

Post by CrosbyRules »

I think hex is a good steal, u just hope for a pound on your first 50p, then with your second 50p hope its still showing. If there are 3/4 people its good, because thats the only game me and my mates play on really, so we are learning it well!
Unbelievable Jeff
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Hex and its deriviatives are probably the stand out games for the 'more heads are better than one' argument, although the crappy nature of the prizes discourages punters out for drinks.

Pop It is definitely a better game with 2-3 players rather than trying to do it on your own, and there is decent cash there. More than 3 players though and the hands just start flying everywhere.

You could have everybody in the pub playing Spot the Difference with you and you'd still win fuck all. Unless you had THAT bloke with you, of course..........

Pimp My Ride is also useful to have 6 people playing simultaneously, as 5 of them will save 50p by realising how shit it is.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Pimp My Ride is also useful to have 6 people playing simultaneously, as 5 of them will save 50p by realising how shit it is.
Profound...

:)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

The only ones I can think of are

(i) Strike it Rich and any clones of that (there's one currently - Heist?), where having three or four pairs of eyes on the last round really helps. I know camera phones have helped in that area but I remember the days before even ordinary mobiles!

(ii) Trivia for Dummies - I'm assuming that a few extra pairs of eyes will make the chance of spotting the later differences a bit higher - 0.5% likely as opposed to 0.1% or something like that!

(iii) I-Spy and Spot the Difference - not really my games but I'd assume extra eyes/hands help

As for the quiz-based games, being an antisocial *** I usually find having anybody else playing and/or watching to be a positive distraction!
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

mmm, hex does have a universal appeal and compared to most games the spoilers are not as obvious. it is nearly always good for a couple of quid, but little more. i have various mates whom i drink with occasionally and they seem to only like bullseye, wwtbam (ugh) and hex.
one guy i see occasionally is pretty good at WU too so we do okay out of that when we're in his area.

Nil Satis wrote:being an antisocial *** I usually find having anybody else playing and/or watching to be a positive distraction!
agreed, especially if it is someone in a local pub who plays the fruits and comes over to help when he has lost his own money.
the only game i am competitive about is WU so i won't play that with anyone who doesn't understand it; utterly maddening when you are setting up a stonker and some berk spots HEM in the middle of your MATHEMATICIAN even if it is someone you normally like, i imagine the equivalent is true for other games too.
nobody ever wins on those things.
tka

Post by tka »

I'm pretty sure STD2 is still on the new version. At least it was at lunchtime :)

Hex is always good for a couple of games. I play that far too much that I know all the Terry Pratchett novels even though I've never read even one :o ops:
No wonder I drink!