Cops & Robbers

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

Nil Satis wrote:A few more I had built up about 250 moves and was 80

very impressive. i can only get to about 100. one thing though it would be nice to have a couple of other endgame sequences which presumably wouldn't be too difficult to program in. either cocktails in acapulco or a cosh round the head kind of wastes the potential which this game obviously has. if i were a programmer i would have more variety in this. the potential is huge.
nobody ever wins on those things.
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

Can't see it myself. You must be wearing an AWFULLY rosy pair of glasses!
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

unknownpseudonym wrote:very impressive. i can only get to about 100

One obvious point with this game (which doesn't really qualify as a tip!) is that once you are some way ahead you can get a few wrong in a row without being seriously caught by the copper, and if you realise straight away when the question comes up that you don't know it you might as well hit one of the answers quickly rather than trying to work it out, as that way if your random guess is right you'll get 5/6 moves anyway - it's a bit like the section of Weakest Link when you have qualified for the next round and all you get is one spoiler after another and you just try to get the odd 100 points here or there.

A general question - is it easy to move the correspondence re Cops and Robbers from here into a new thread or does a moderator/admininstrator need to do that? - the title of the thread does refer to the new Battleships game and I must take responsibility for changing the subject halfway through... :wink:
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

something i've noticed on this; when it asks you for the total land area of togo or whatever other bizarre spoiler, the answer A is a disproportionately good stab. could be just coincidence, but it seems to be about 50% accurate on the impossible Qs as opposed to the 33% you might expect.
tka

Post by tka »

Nil Satis wrote:A general question - is it easy to move the correspondence re Cops and Robbers from here into a new thread or does a moderator/admininstrator need to do that? - the title of the thread does refer to the new Battleships game and I must take responsibility for changing the subject halfway through... :wink:
Yes, done. But I'd prefer if you made a new thread. (TKA)
No wonder I drink!
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Thanks, tka. I realise the best advice is to start a new thread ourselves as soon as we decide to 'change topic', but my question was really whether it is possible for standard users to move a section of an existing thread into a new one (which is what I wanted to do here) or is that an 'Admin Only' function?
tka

Post by tka »

Nil Satis wrote: it is possible for standard users to move a section of an existing thread into a new one (which is what I wanted to do here) or is that an 'Admin Only' function?
AFAIK it is only the Moderators and Admin who can split threads. I get a little button saying You Can Moderate This Forum on my screen.
No wonder I drink!
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

but you can edit your own posts if you make a tÿpo or whatever by clicking the edit button at the top of your own posts on the forum.
jb13

Post by jb13 »

I have played cops and rubbish several times and the game play is awful. Over 300 moves for a £1. Do these things get tested?.
tka

Post by tka »

Is someone going to get a picture of VOTE TKA in the graffitti? Or do I have to do it myself? Only seen it once myself, that bloody DEMMERZ is all over the place though :)
No wonder I drink!
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

just a query; has anyone got to millionaires' row yet from three golden keys?
ROSSKEEN

Post by ROSSKEEN »

Ok so I was bored in an airport lounge and started to look at some seriously old threads.

I have had 3 keys on this twice. Both in a pub in sunny Troon (since been removed). It let me in twice for less than 60 moves so it was obviously in a good mood.

Once you're in Millionaires row its basically like WWTBAM. Theres about 5-7 questions and each time you get one right you win more cash. Once you get one wrong you stop and get the value you last one. From memory it goes £1,£3,£5,£7,£10,£15,£20. Although again I guess this could differ depending on mood. First 3 questions are usually easy, after that its spoilers. Most I ever got was £5 as I was never blessed with fantastic knowledge in the first place.
grecian

Post by grecian »

I've made Millionaire's Row twice, which is a pretty low proportion of total plays. Both happened fairly quickly: first time I was with UP and we won £10 - second time I villaged it and won £3. Lots of money available but the time limit is deliberately very tight - too much hovering about and you'll be timed out. I once won £5 on a game where I didn't make Millionaire's row, by dint of collecting cash bags and maybe one prize up but I think that's rare too. The time I set what I hope might be a record (479 moves, the Goose, Holborn EC1) I only won £1, so if it doesn't want to pay out, it won't, basically.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

aside from when i was carrying Grecian :wink: i've had maybe a dozen endgames with varying degrees of success. but there is only one pub where i've had millionaire's row on two occasions. you can't expect numbnuts to fill it up too often (although they seem happy to bankroll me via PMP).
grecian

Post by grecian »

Coincidentally this lunchtime I managed to reach Millionaire's Row for a third time, again with the benefit of company. We got all three keys by about 70 moves. We answered five (IIRC) reasonably challenging but gettable questions to reach £7 but then had one asking the area of a particular Chinese province. We guessed incorrectly. None the less, quite exciting (how sad of me) given the rarity value.