I have had VERY little dealings with pro quiz players

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
theoak

I have had VERY little dealings with pro quiz players

Post by theoak »

..How much can a well practised individual make off these? are there as many pros as the fruits and can they make as much money from them? enough to quit a day job?

What kind of investment is needed to edge towards 'mastering' a particular game?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

how long is a piece of string?

i'd imagine there are more AWP than SWP pros, returns are potentially much better. consider the 78% vs 30%, also the relative time it takes to make/lose money.

while it is possible to make money consistently on SWP, the skills are largely transferrable to a normal job which can pay very much better than travelling around the country hoboing on the quiz machines.
i'll happily admit that i've taken days off work to play games but i'm earning more from annual leave than i am from the machines.
i can only speak for myself and it is a hobby which pays for my other hobby of drinking.

imo, the days of the viability of being an SWP pro are behind us, unless you have modest expectations about quality of life.
nobody ever wins on those things.
theoak

Post by theoak »

ah ok, this was my presumption as well, though the concept of SWP pros losing money, for some reason I didnt really think happened much.

Have there ever been any software faults to the players advantage before, much as there are emptiers on some fruit machines?

Also, how do quiz machines like Millionaire STOP people getting the JP more often that not, if they are exceptionally well-versed in the answers? I'm aware it can throw in 'bonus questions' but I though these always had at least the same point increas as the question before, which would mean only max two questions per level?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

i doubt that anyone who posts on here ever loses when they go on the machines, but the wins are getting smaller and less frequent since the good old days.

while it is theoretically possible to know (or learn) everything nobody has or will ever managed to assimilate even 10% from the fountain of knowledge.

afaik there are no exploitable emptiers apart from the use of good strategy and knowledge/skill.

as for wwtbam, i'm sure you'll get a sensible answer from somebody who knows more about it than i do.
nobody ever wins on those things.
theoak

Post by theoak »

Cheers, just interested in learning a bit abotu them. Certianly have no intentions of becoming a player myself. Has ther NEVER been a softward fault with any of these then? presumably the programmes are a little simpler than fruit machines..
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Hex Appeal had an 'mtr' a while back. Fixed now.

Without wanting to sound patronising, don't harbour any thoughts of becoming a 'pro' player. If you knew how much work was involved, it would blow your mind.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
theoak

Post by theoak »

well, as I said, i DON'T have any thoughts abotu becoming a pro nor do I even play them; just nice to be clued up about things.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Forgot to ask, WTF is that picture all about? It's slightly disturbing!

Post by Guest »

Cardinal Richelieu wrote:WTF is that picture all about?
It's obviously some kind of primordial dwarf atop a blonde woman, you n00b. :roll:
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Heh-heh VB! ;)

I have the greatest respect for 'accomplished' SWP players. It's the level of general (and not so general!) knowledge that's needed that really stands out for me.

I'm not even up to 15% of the standard required to be a (really don't like this term) 'pro'. I've had countless £3/£4 from Bullseye and quite a few good wins from DOND. Hangman 2 used to also be pretty fruitful too. In a more 'physical' skill vein, the standalone Crystal Maze (with the trackball) used to get me at least £10 a night (if the right people were playing it between my sessions).

For me, that's just about the way I like it... ;)

:)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Matt Vinyl wrote:Heh-heh VB! ]the greatest[/i] respect for 'accomplished' SWP players. It's the level of general (and not so general!) knowledge that's needed that really stands out for me.

I'm not even up to 15% of the standard required to be a (really don't like this term) 'pro'. I've had countless £3/£4 from Bullseye and quite a few good wins from DOND. Hangman 2 used to also be pretty fruitful too. In a more 'physical' skill vein, the standalone Crystal Maze (with the trackball) used to get me at least £10 a night (if the right people were playing it between my sessions).

For me, that's just about the way I like it... ;)

:)
You forgot about the "so-weird and obscure that normally only nerds would know" knowledge. Such as what dress did such a such an actress wear to the Oscars etc

Post by Guest »

Andersen wrote:You forgot about the "so-weird and obscure that normally only nerds would know" knowledge. Such as what dress did such a such an actress wear to the Oscars etc
Mate, once you start getting invited to the Oscars, you can't help picking these things up. 8)
rollem

Post by rollem »

Yes although you might know most things it will whack in a question like

What year did John Doe score in the 1950's football league

A>1951

B>1953

C>1955

D>1956

Its just like who the fucks gonna know that!?!?!
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

rollem wrote:Yes although you might know most things it will whack in a question like

What year did John Doe score in the 1950's football league

A>1951

B>1953

C>1955

D>1956

Its just like who the fucks gonna know that!?!?!
But thats where brilliant guesswork comes in :D Just out of interest rollem (and the other AWPers), given you are coming across to 'our' board to tap us up, any tips for us on what jackpot machines we should or shouldnt play? :D For example, theyve got the DOND fruitie near my usual quiz machine. Is it, how you say an 'mter'?!!!
wigwamsun

Post by wigwamsun »

I think the clear difference between the average punter and the pro is that even if the pro doesn't know the correct answer, they can usually say what it isn't. Thus making the odds that bit better. Also, good players spot certain writers and think like them, very much like crossword authors.