word up gossip

Discuss Quiz Machines here..

Post by Guest »

BigEd wrote: The truth is that nobody does contribute, other than the occasional boast about word up
Oh come on, that's not fair.

Cambridge Arms, King's Street Run, Cambs - 1933pts, World Record Word Up score - GO SEE WITH YOUR OWN EYES AND MARVEL WITH YOUR OWN COMPARATIVELY FEEBLE BRAINS IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE!

:o ops:

Watergate - as far as playing games for cash goes, if you can clear consistently on Word Up, you will be making a steady profit as the £1 points requirement stops at 1520.

STOP PRESS

The VB Word Up team will be coming to London some time next week for an away day session, if anyone fancies battling / mutual admiration of skills / proof that such wordgameplayingGodsamongmen truly exist.

This one-day migration has been prompted by the lack of local challenge - Cambridge teams have been long dispatched (ie. PETERHOUSE, WIZ, STETOM). PETERHOUSE and STETOM posses have even been met in FLESH and BLOOD - thus proving that other real quizzer players ACTUALLY EXIST *swoon*

We will also battle at / win filthy lucre on Sum Up (best score 2540 pts), if we can ACTUALLY FIND THE DAMN GAME ANYWHERE DAMMIT.
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

Bloody Hell!!!!!! I give up! Good bye!
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

GO SEE WITH YOUR OWN EYES AND MARVEL WITH YOUR OWN COMPARATIVELY FEEBLE BRAINS IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE
I wasn't being derogatory to you VB, or any other of the Word up players. I do actually believe your scores. I was using the word "boast" correctly;
"boast verb : to speak proudly or happily about what you have done or what you own"

Having said that, I still don't play Word Up, and I still think that it is a pile of cack.

Each to our own. At least my comments have prompted a healthy debate if nothing else. :D

Ed.
tka

Post by tka »

I noticed the name VAGINALBOB halfway up the leaderboard on word-up in the wetherspoons on leicester square yesterday. best word QUALITIES? pah. BTW I am WHOOPS. LUXURIATED beat that!
No wonder I drink!
JG

Post by JG »

You want to play 'Sum up' (nasty game!)

Try Stafford Services.

>>BLOOP!<<

Post by Guest »

tka wrote:I noticed the name VAGINALBOB halfway up the leaderboard on word-up in the wetherspoons on leicester square yesterday. best word QUALITIES? pah. BTW I am ISTENEM. LUXURIATED beat that!
Ah yes - The Moon Under Water.

That was one of the many places we visited on our day out in London. We were playing primarily for cash, so didn't go for huge scores in most pubs.
The touch screen in the Wetherspoons was also absolutely gash, so we left
the place sharpish.

However, we did lay down a 1780 in a pub just off Leicester Square (unconfirmed London record) and removed DAVEJON from 9/10 high score berths with 12 clearances on their home territory (11 more than they seem to have managed): The Rocket on Euston Road.

We didn't manage to do much to their high score word /long word lists - the heroic JUXTAPOSITIONS and two QUIZZICALLYs remain at the top.

We also defeated UCL's scores in their student union, thus winning another inter-university tie (having defeated Oxford a couple of months ago).

Final results - we played 108 games and won 75 quid.

Didn't notice much ISTENEM. Tell us where your home turf is - we'll lay seige to it next time we visit.
tka

Post by tka »

yeah the touchscreen is rubbish in there.
WHOOPS is not my only name though, i vary.
my 'hood is the west end of the west end of London, decent returns there it helps that the only other players are tourists, STEVEWor HYENA. HULLHULL (who used to post here) is on a few of them too and the occasional DAVJOHN.
No wonder I drink!

Post by Guest »

I pop in the UCL union every now and again during my lunchbreak, but on my own. My scores aren't great but I think Word-Up is very much a two-player game.
I think they had 3 machines in there last time I was in, all on different floors, so I'll have a look out for the 'Cambridge Massive'.
I'm a bit disturbed to learn that you know exactly how many games you played that night (18) . Was one of you taking notes?

I'm still convinced it's the best quiz game around though. I've been playing it for a number of months now and it's still the first thing I look for when I enter a pub. That said, there's nothing more annoying than getting 5 'Q's and only 2 'U's which does seem to happen rather too often. I remember some guy on the old thread printed a list of words with q's but no u's. I tried FAQIR to no avail and gave up trying any others. Did anyone else have any success?

HullHull
johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

if you download certain versions of "scrabble" for P.C. they have lists of q's without u's and other ambiguous word oddities!
WORD OF THE Week: "Toothache"
--I defy you to comment--
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

is the ucl bar open to the public? i work near there occasionally.

the too-many useless Qs is annoying but what gets on my dandruff is that there seem to be so many words the machine doesn't know: zinnia and zebu for example and jete and aquae and ixia and God knows how many more.

i am getting closer to my personal goal of getting a 20 letter word (am up to 14 of them in sequence now). when i get it (make no mistake she will be mine) i wil post the location and you can all hail the mighty me.

i assume if you wanted to get an edge over the competition you could download the game from pinkfizz whatever it's called and extract the wordlist. (if anybody can be bothered to do this i demand a copy cos it was my idea)

one other question:
has anyone taken the time to work out the multiplication of scores depending on word length?
nobody ever wins on those things.

Post by Guest »

20 letters? Blimey. That would be worth seeing.

As far as I can tell, the score of a word is based on:

(1st letter score x word length)+(2nd letter score x word length) and so on.

So the word 'ALL'

would score

(1x3)+(5x3)+(5x3) = 33pts.

but I could be wrong. It seems to fit the words I've looked at.

Or alternatively it's just the total sum of the letters' points x the word length.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

cheers HH, your reply makes sense i'd been thinking too linearly. can anyone verify? VB?
will keep the board posted if i manage the 20. if the computer doesn't recognise the word i will be very, very pissed off.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Demmerz

Post by Demmerz »

Some Q's without U's:

8. QINDARKA SHEQELUM

7. BUQSHAS QINDARS QINTARS QIVIUTS QWERTYS

6. BUQSHA FAQIRS QANATS QINDAR QINTAR QIVIUT QWERTY SHEQEL TRANQS UMIAQS

5. FAQIR QAIDS QANAT QOPHS TRANQ UMIAQ

4. QAID QATS QOPH SUQS

3. QAT SUQ
Still kicking about.
tka

Post by tka »

Those may be good in Scrabble but, I don't think they are allowed on Word Up. as UKPS says the dict is limited which is a pity.
No wonder I drink!

Post by Guest »

I'm still willing to give them a go, but I take the point that the vocab on Word-Up is limited.

In answer to UnknownPseudonym's question, technically you do need a student ID to get into UCL union but there's never anyone checking until around 6 o'clock in the evening so you should be fine on lunchtimes.
I don't have one either.