New menu?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
cool

Post by cool »

The Gambling Commission have a £50 cap on SWP's. Under £50 they are bad enough over £50 they would probably send people round the game developers house to interrogate as to why he had the temerity to develop a game with a life changing jackpot. Yes muddle your observation is spot on. Millionaire though not one of my big earners was the best constructed game ever (not the later rubbish editions). When it was ready to pay even the last question was easy and as a game filled up it was possible to see the machine relax progressively up the points structure.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Remember the Crystal Maze SWP, with the £5 jackpot that got progressively easier the more it was played - but the end game would not let you have it if it wasn't ready (through use of too many silver / not enough gold mechanism)?

It is available for play now (30th October entry at the following link: http://www.dxcellent.com/index.html).

This was a great example of how a game could be done. Yes, the JP would have to be higher nowadays, but the underlying structure of keeping it relatively locked out until it was permissible to pay is simple, but effective. Mayhap they're too scared that someone will find a loophole and absolutely rinse them, but with all these games now wired up to each other (effectively) via the internet, this sort of behavioural pattern could easily be nipped in the bud. And it the designers and playtesters do their job sufficiently at the start, there's very little to no chance of that sort of loophole being left behind.

In short - get rid of the 'ladder' prize style and have one big prize that is obtainable and never changes.
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Duplicate. :/
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Matt Vinyl wrote:Remember the Crystal Maze SWP, with the £5 jackpot that got progressively easier the more it was played - but the end game would not let you have it if it wasn't ready (through use of too many silver / not enough gold mechanism)?

It is available for play now (30th October entry at the following link: http://www.dxcellent.com/index.html).

This was a great example of how a game could be done. Yes, the JP would have to be higher nowadays, but the underlying structure of keeping it relatively locked out until it was permissible to pay is simple, but effective. Mayhap they're too scared that someone will find a loophole and absolutely rinse them, but with all these games now wired up to each other (effectively) via the internet, this sort of behavioural pattern could easily be nipped in the bud. And it the designers and playtesters do their job sufficiently at the start, there's very little to no chance of that sort of loophole being left behind.

In short - get rid of the 'ladder' prize style and have one big prize that is obtainable and never changes.
Crystal Maze is still on most machines and I win a fiver quite regularly on that and indeed a few tenners when I first played it but not as easy obviously. Has anyone ever actually won the 50 quid....I'm not actually sure it's possible given how they filter the silver and gold.

With regards a game with a fixed jackpot that is easier to empty the more it's played....there's still a game on there PMP. I know Muddle isn't a fan but if you play it often enough you know when it will or won't pay out.

If it wants to pay out you can get a tenner reasonably comfortable and even then it doesn't always go back to spoiler mode. Just today I played two Paragons that had it on in a town centre and got 15 quid out of both....that's as good as it gets for a single game I think nowadays.

The machines are on its last legs nowadays though....I was in denial even a year ago but seeing the amount of spoons either closing, not replacing machines or simply just not having them is pretty sad....when I say not replacing them I'm not quite right....in plenty of pubs now instead of an SWP you know have some god awful space invaders, Pacman or that other multi coloured machine of which I can't remember its name in its place....that's the future right there folks.

Scary isn't it?
muddle

Post by muddle »

I suppose I'm in denial a little too SoccerHQ,there are still a fair few machines out there but there did of course used to be far more.I am hoping that the arcade game machines you mention have limited appeal.You can after all only play one game on them while on a quiz machine,there's far more variety.
I still know a few pubs where the quiz machine gets a lot of play - there's one nearish to me where the pub is popular with students and young professionals,if that machine disappears then I reckon I'll be no longer in denial.I walked in in last week to find a bandit where the quizzy had been,then spotted a space invaders game and my heart sank until I realised that they'd only moved the quizzy elsewhere in the pub.
You mentioned PMP - I got put off that by the 3 Ya Barred cards and one pass moving at unfeasible speeds.With hindsight I should have persevered.
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Ah muddle that got phased out years ago....think it was the last time the game got updated (2012). The bonus moves at a reasonable speed now and I can confirm the beermats stay on the screen!
muddle

Post by muddle »

Ok SoccerHQ,shows how behind the times I am! I remember thinking that the time runs out pretty quickly when you're near or in the money though.To be fair,that is something I'd like to see more of in general,but it makes the game quite a bit more difficult - certainly for me anyway!
cool

Post by cool »

I would be interested to know what the potential jackpot of Golden Gloves is as they seem to have been brought in at £5. I was talking to somebody who played the similarly styled predecessors that I hardly ever played and he told me it was £20 in theory but £10 in practice as you couldn't get a double up that would take you anywhere near the points required. Noticed that as you progress through the rounds the ring girl gets more suggestive, how many rounds is it before she's stripped off entirely!