Getting young people to play quiz machines

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
muddle

Getting young people to play quiz machines

Post by muddle »

If quiz machines are to have a future,then I think it's vital that they capture the interest of the new pub-going generation.In one of my first ever posts on here,I talked about the smartphone having a detrimental effect on quiz machine play (I don't mean by using it to look up answers,rather it being there to play with to while away time in the pub),but not having one,I have only just realised how many quiz games and puzzles you can play on a mobile device.However,it's not very good or sociable to play on a small screen.My conclusion is that if the games on the quizzy looked a bit like app type games,then maybe younger people would be more likely to play them.Also I'd be tempted to refresh question sets and have more questions on recent events.For example,I don't mind being asked what Marillion's first album was,but that's going to seem like ancient history if you're 18.One Direction have been going for 5 years,yet I can't remember being asked a single question about them.
Conversely though I also thinking bringing back some old games is worth a try too.There's been some good games over the years that I'm sure would be successful again.That GWHL bulletin talked about change being important - I'm afraid Hangman Saloon and Pub Quiz again is rather underwhelming - maybe they could have a Retro or Old Skool section where older games are available,and as there's a vast array to pick from,the line-up could be regularly updated.
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Keith Lemon taking over quiz machines now....great lol.

Quiz machines located in Student areas/pubs always seem popular from my experience...I'd imagine on event nights when the pubs would be packed they'd be played a few times.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

SoccerHQ wrote:Keith Lemon taking over quiz machines now....great lol.

Quiz machines located in Student areas/pubs always seem popular from my experience...I'd imagine on event nights when the pubs would be packed they'd be played a few times.

THIS:- Recently attended a quiz event at a University in the Midlands and every bar I went in had a paragon. More unusually I had to wait to get on one..
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

muddle wrote:If quiz machines are to have a future,then I think it's vital that they capture the interest of the new pub-going generation.In one of my first ever posts on here,I talked about the smartphone having a detrimental effect on quiz machine play (I don't mean by using it to look up answers,rather it being there to play with to while away time in the pub),but not having one,I have only just realised how many quiz games and puzzles you can play on a mobile device.However,it's not very good or sociable to play on a small screen.My conclusion is that if the games on the quizzy looked a bit like app type games,then maybe younger people would be more likely to play them.Also I'd be tempted to refresh question sets and have more questions on recent events.For example,I don't mind being asked what Marillion's first album was,but that's going to seem like ancient history if you're 18.One Direction have been going for 5 years,yet I can't remember being asked a single question about them.
Conversely though I also thinking bringing back some old games is worth a try too.There's been some good games over the years that I'm sure would be successful again.That GWHL bulletin talked about change being important - I'm afraid Hangman Saloon and Pub Quiz again is rather underwhelming - maybe they could have a Retro or Old Skool section where older games are available,and as there's a vast array to pick from,the line-up could be regularly updated.
I agree with this. Over the last 30 years there have been literally hundreds of different quiz games. Some of those were very popular. In a lot of cases their downfall was the small memory which made it easy to learn the difficult questions bank. Surely with the size of memory now they could be brought back. I'm thinking of Blockbusters, Suit Pursuit, Monopoly, The Royle Family. Whilst it is true some of these were popular because they were based on popular programmes on T.V. at the time they were at least interesting to play...
muddle

Post by muddle »

I've re-visited this thread not that I have anything particularly novel to say (no change there then) but because I think this is the key point as to whether quizzies are going to survive in any decent numbers or whether it is the last rites.For all the problems and possible improvements we've highlighted,if the machines are taking a decent amount of money,pubs will keep them and to do that,they're going to need to keep attracting younger people to play them.I do still come across groups of students gathered round the quizzy from time to time - interest may not be what it was,but it's not zero.
I'm sure the games companies realise this,hence games that look like apps but I think new questions are a must too,and perhaps even a new style of question.I know some games say they have an updated 2015 question set,but to my memory,I cannot think of a single question that mentions Twitter,Facebook,Youtube,Instagram etc.I would hate questions like 'which of these hashtags went viral in early 2016?' (I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about here) but the questions are supposed to be wide-ranging,and social media is a huge part of everyday life,particularly for those in the 18-25 category.
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

I've been visiting a few scream pubs lately (student bars located close to the University campus) and pretty much all of them have at least one quiz machine and even on occasions (don't collapse in shock please) two just like the good old days in many Wetherspoons. One in Derby called the Friary has a paragon one side of the bar and a Kudos the other side.

Three way burger and a beer on a Tuesday for £5.49 aswell so probably my favourite day of the week now lol.