most annoying publicity seeking media quizzy person ever

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
cool

most annoying publicity seeking media quizzy person ever

Post by cool »

Whilst not a direct machine linked question a lot of the media quiz people have a background in quiz machines. For me the most irritating person by a country mile is C J de Moi the permatanned, flowery shirted (yuk) smug know it all . There is a fake wikipedia page set up as a piss take which is quite amusing. When playing eggheads his face was the first pick to see if I could get rid of him early. He is now kicking up a stink apparently because he couldn't get on Strictly Come Dancing as he couldn't get a male partner and he recently (on Friday) bemoaned his upbringing on Radio 5 and said he ended up selling sex to survive as a teenager (wonder he didn't starve to death) He probably enjoys the backlash his comments have produced as he obviously likes a bit of stick. Has there ever been anybody as annoying as this muppet? Either quizmaster or assistants.
muddle

Post by muddle »

The simple answer to your question cool is 'No'.No media quizzy person is anywhere near as annoying as him.I don't even think he's that good.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

cool wrote: For me the most irritating person by a country mile is C J de Moi the permatanned, flowery shirted (yuk) smug know it all .
Er, "know not very much", surely.
muddle wrote:I don't even think he's that good.
He's shit. My idea of a quiz nightmare is losing to him. Any format.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

so if you played him 100 heads up all subjects on egg heads you reckon you'd beat him? without knowing you i'd say none of you would get more than 33%. i'd agree he comes across as a bit of a prick, but i would disagree that i) he's shit and ii) not that good! the guy takes it seriously and more professionally than any of you, and he's won alot more? he must be in the top, what, at least .01% of quiz achievements of all time? what do you suppose he'd think if he read your opinions above? doubt you'd be able to put up a decent argument against what he'd say either?

delusions of grandeur. you answer questions, usually multiple choice! not exactly stephen hawking stuff is it.....
Going skint....
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

bubbles wrote:so if you played him 100 heads up all subjects on egg heads you reckon you'd beat him? without knowing you i'd say none of you would get more than 33%. i'd agree he comes across as a bit of a prick, but i would disagree that i) he's shit and ii) not that good! the guy takes it seriously and more professionally than any of you, and he's won alot more? he must be in the top, what, at least .01% of quiz achievements of all time? what do you suppose he'd think if he read your opinions above? doubt you'd be able to put up a decent argument against what he'd say either?

delusions of grandeur. you answer questions, usually multiple choice! not exactly stephen hawking stuff is it.....
Genuine question: Do you wake up at 4/5 am and think "Hmm...I must post on the quiz forum before breakfast!"
OR
are you up all night and do it just before going to bed?
OR
do you live abroad but have a keen interest in quiz machine forums?

Genuinely baffled here!
cp999

Post by cp999 »

bubbles wrote:so if you played him 100 heads up all subjects on egg heads you reckon you'd beat him? without knowing you i'd say none of you would get more than 33%. i'd agree he comes across as a bit of a prick, but i would disagree that i) he's shit and ii) not that good! the guy takes it seriously and more professionally than any of you, and he's won alot more? he must be in the top, what, at least .01% of quiz achievements of all time? what do you suppose he'd think if he read your opinions above? doubt you'd be able to put up a decent argument against what he'd say either?

Firstly, Eggheads is a very poor quizzing format as a test of ability, as most of the questions are very easy with the odd difficult one thrown in. Consequently, he might beat me occasionally, which would, I assure you, be a nightmare. Equally consequently, I might beat Kevin occasionally. Neither of those would happen over a full-length formal competitive quiz.

He is shit, believe me. I've seen more than enough to notice what utterly gaping holes there are in his general knowledge, not only that but I do far better on his questions than he does. He's light-years behind the proper Eggheads, like Kevin, Daphne, Pat (who I've met, incidentally, but that's another, quite amusing, story - nice guy) and Barry. And what's he won? Some minor TV show. Wow. I don't really have a problem with him, he's more the subject of amusement, but if he really is a "professional quizzer" as is claimed, then he's one of the poorest professional anythings ever. And he must know he's poor, compared to the real quiz achievers, in which I doubt very much he's in the top 0.01%, he's just more visible than most by dint of TV.

Lastly, no delusions of grandeur, quiz machines are a means to an end and give me a comfortable lifestyle, nothing more, nothing less, I'm just calling a spade a spade and he's no quiz professional.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

Fair enough! You've convinced me to not put my house on him vs you! Shame I'll never get to see it though ;)
Still think he's very successful and is in the 0.01% because of that success though! His lifestyle, through quizzing is "more comfortable" than probably anyone who has ever read stuff off this forum!
Going skint....
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

Paragoon, I don't really have much interest in quiz machines, more the psyche behind those that play them. This stems from the standpoint that I am a fruit machine player, and a reasonably intelligent one! We probably share alot of the same thoughts, a common one must be "I wish I'd never played a machine professionally past year 1 or 2"!
Going skint....
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

cp999 wrote:Firstly, Eggheads is a very poor quizzing format as a test of ability, as most of the questions are very easy with the odd difficult one thrown in. Consequently, he might beat me occasionally, which would, I assure you, be a nightmare. Equally consequently, I might beat Kevin occasionally. Neither of those would happen over a full-length formal competitive quiz.

He is shit, believe me. I've seen more than enough to notice what utterly gaping holes there are in his general knowledge, not only that but I do far better on his questions than he does. He's light-years behind the proper Eggheads, like Kevin, Daphne, Pat (who I've met, incidentally, but that's another, quite amusing, story - nice guy) and Barry. And what's he won? Some minor TV show. Wow. I don't really have a problem with him, he's more the subject of amusement, but if he really is a "professional quizzer" as is claimed, then he's one of the poorest professional anythings ever. And he must know he's poor, compared to the real quiz achievers, in which I doubt very much he's in the top 0.01%, he's just more visible than most by dint of TV.

Lastly, no delusions of grandeur, quiz machines are a means to an end and give me a comfortable lifestyle, nothing more, nothing less, I'm just calling a spade a spade and he's no quiz professional.
Couldn't agree more. A while back I put a thread on here asking whether anyone went to the British Quiz Championships circuit days which are held monthly. C-J apparently used to go but never did very well. Kevin, Pat, Barry (and others-including a poster on here) are in a completely different league to him and indeed most quizzers who fancy their chances. Their knowledge levels are simply incredible. The other one who can consider herself lucky to be involved in Eggheads is Judith Keppel.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

What's the "top boy order" then, for the tv quizzers? I reckon The Chase gang would destroy the Eggheads? Big Mark the best?!
Going skint....
cp999

Post by cp999 »

I would like to see a Chase v Egghead match, using both formats. Imo Mark is the one who most resembles (in a quizzing sense!) what a good quiz machine pro would do. By that I mean he's very fast (i.e. highly conditioned reflexes and recall) but his knowledge isn't at the same level as Kevin or Pat. Anne is probably the closest to Kevin and Pat in terms of pure knowledge, but she's not as fast as Mark.

In a written test, I'd back the stronger Eggheads every time. The TV format is probably fairly 50-50 at Eggheads imo, but the Chase favours the chaser(s). And particularly a good, fast solo chaser.. (pushback odds).

My rough order, ranked in terms of my perception of their general knowledgeL
1. Kevin, Pat
2. Barry, Anne, Paul, Daphne (all very solid)
3. Mark (I have a strong impression he used to play machines)
4. Chris (good once, but his knowledge now has huge gaps in terms of contemporary events), Shaun (imo clearly the weakest chaser)
5. Judith, CJ (amateurs in this context)

I've barely seen the new Eggheads, nor the new Chaser, so won't comment on their knowledge level.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

cp999 wrote:I would like to see a Chase v Egghead match, using both formats. Imo Mark is the one who most resembles (in a quizzing sense!) what a good quiz machine pro would do. By that I mean he's very fast (i.e. highly conditioned reflexes and recall) but his knowledge isn't at the same level as Kevin or Pat. Anne is probably the closest to Kevin and Pat in terms of pure knowledge, but she's not as fast as Mark.

In a written test, I'd back the stronger Eggheads every time. The TV format is probably fairly 50-50 at Eggheads imo, but the Chase favours the chaser(s). And particularly a good, fast solo chaser.. (pushback odds).

My rough order, ranked in terms of my perception of their general knowledgeL
1. Kevin, Pat
2. Barry, Anne, Paul, Daphne (all very solid)
3. Mark (I have a strong impression he used to play machines)
4. Chris (good once, but his knowledge now has huge gaps in terms of contemporary events), Shaun (imo clearly the weakest chaser)
5. Judith, CJ (amateurs in this context)

I've barely seen the new Eggheads, nor the new Chaser, so won't comment on their knowledge level.
I reckon that is a pretty accurate assessment. The best player in the world currently is a guy called Olaf Bjorntoft (sp) whose name I've seen in a quiz context amongst the question setters for University Challenge.
I was looking for something else on Youtube tonight and came across Daphne's destruction of the opposition in a 20 odd year old episode of 15 to 1. Truly incredible stuff. I think she may have retired now though...
Stubble

Post by Stubble »

CJ is there for political correctness. He just ticks all those boxes (bisexual, permatanned, gay, straight, transexual).

Judith is there for totty value. And she is posh.

Just balances everything up.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

All you quizzers would always go for the higher offer on the chase then, and have, what, over 95% chance of "getting home"?
Going skint....
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

i actually think the chase is quite a hard quiz show for the average person? i don't have great general knowledge, but am not exactly thick either and every episode will not know alot of the answers. any of you watched a quiz show, the chase, egg heads, and known every single answer?
Going skint....