We could do with some new hardware (and software)

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
muddle

We could do with some new hardware (and software)

Post by muddle »

I was playing a machine the other day and the screen went from being poorly aligned to not working altogether.The guy behind the bar noticed,and got the manager to come over who apologised and rebooted the machine.As it was restarting,he pointed out 'well,no wonder it doesn't work with its 15 year old operating system',referring to it running Windows XP.
Well,he's got a point,hasn't he.I was already thinking that the cabinets themselves are showing their age and looking a bit tatty (IQuest excepted) but both hardware and software could probably do with an update.Obviously this would involve an outlay of cash,but if GWHL are as serious as that bulletin on their website sounds,then they may want to think about improving their machines.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

That would be a bit like you quizzers buying a £500 wallet and setting up a Swiss bank account to put all your winnings in?!
Going skint....
Stubble

Post by Stubble »

Actually, you might be surprised to learn that most cabinets (storm, etc...) are running on an embedded winxp platform. For a system that is designed to only run a predefined set of programs, it's more than adequate. However, considering that many are linked to wifi or via ethernet, they surely would be better running a more security orientated OS.
muddle

Post by muddle »

Well,I'm even more cheesed off after today's quizzing than I was when I started the thread.So many with the screen working so poorly (or not at all) making that hash words game so frustrating.The nadir being when I tried to collect the princely sum of £3 on one machine,the coins fell somewhere inside it,I tried putting my finger up the payslot (sorry if that sounds like something from Carry on Quiz Machines),and the whole tray came away in my hands exposing the innards of the machine.We've all said something similar before,but do they realise how crap and player-unfriendly their machines are?