Same names on Leaderboards

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
muddle

Same names on Leaderboards

Post by muddle »

I have never bothered leaving my name on a leaderboard on the quizzy but I'm aware that the odd pro does.Recently though I've been seeing areas where the same old names are appearing and both from the level of the scores and/or the amount of games they've had,these people clearly aren't pros.A while ago,I would occasionally run into a couple who travelled around playing the machines for fun.Once,comically I came across them in one pub,so headed off to the other side of the city I was in,only to find out that they'd done the same and run into them again.Anyway,my point is there are still people who like quiz machining as a hobby.
Cf

Post by Cf »

Me and the GF like to play quiz machines casually and have our initials around a number of machines. There's a few other names we recognise too which I assume are players because the scores are generally very high.
muddle

Post by muddle »

Fair enough,Cf,I think more games should have leaderboards as it encourages people to try and get a bit of kudos by being top or somewhere on the leaderboard.I suppose the other side of it is that I suppose you could look at the leaderboard,see a whole load of high scores and decide not to play!
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

Having a little jolly to the south coast this week, I noticed a familiar name on a machine with some impressive high scores. Given how sensitive the filter is on rude words on that game, I was surprised it let that one through as well...
Attachments
2015-09-01 22.21.28.jpg
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

The filter is sensitive in terms of displaying the words, but at least it allows you to play them all (or all the ones I've tried so far at least), whereas Word Soup disallows lots of common words for being "rude". The odd thing about the # Words leaderboard is that it forms part of the "attract" mode for the cabinet, i.e. it displays it as one of the items that appear when no one is playing anything, and in a considerably larger font than within the game itself.

Beloved Istenem's score on that one isn't that impressive, by the way, but the really high scores depend in the main on the bonus letters you are given. Has anyone broken the 10,000 barrier yet?
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Good to see Lorie still still racking up the scores. How are ya, Mr C ???
Roulette free since December 2011.
Stubble

Post by Stubble »

That is the game that will not allow NoelsBeard! I love that game.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Nil Satis wrote:Has anyone broken the 10,000 barrier yet?
Naturally ;) Awful game btw, and you can put it to 50p top prize.
Cf

Post by Cf »

Topical2009 wrote:Having a little jolly to the south coast this week, I noticed a familiar name on a machine with some impressive high scores. Given how sensitive the filter is on rude words on that game, I was surprised it let that one through as well...
Most people know fruits are compensated or at the very least "that's due to pay" or "that's just paid out mate" but I highly doubt they're aware quiz games work in the same way.
muddle

Post by muddle »

cp999 wrote:Naturally ;) Awful game btw, and you can put it to 50p top prize.
I'm surprised that it can be pushed to a 50p top prize,I would have thought once it started asking for 3000 points for 50p with no bonuses and considerably more to actually win something,that that would be protection enough (especially if the screen's a little dodgy) but maybe you're superhumanly fast,cp! I take it the 10,000 barrier was to set a personal milestone rather than for financial reward? I tend to stop playing as soon as I hit the top prize,don't want RSI or anything like that lol.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

I just kept going for the hell of it. In any case, such scores are really only a consequence of when it's giving two bonus tiles. 8k+ is easy then if you're fast. In contrast, getting even half that is almost impossible without bonus tiles.
muddle

Post by muddle »

Yes,I must confess I did have one go at trying to set a 5 figure score when it looked like it might be on but fell a few hundred short.I can imagine that a better player would have got there i.e. slightly faster,better vocabulary.Although the word list it uses seems quite a peculiar one:lots of proper nouns but 'dzo' to give one example is not valid.
Stubble

Post by Stubble »

<Homer Voice> "dzo!"
mendez

Post by mendez »

Is there a mobile/tablet version of #Words as there is with Word Soup? I had a look but couldn't spot anything.

I'd prefer the pub one if the difficulty was less random - as previously earlier in thread the DW/TW can skew it a lot so it's hard to fairly see who does best with a mate.
messiah

Post by messiah »

I played one game of WordSoup last time I was back in Newcastle in a pub with my brother and bloody Hyena had pushed the prizemoney up to 2050 points....